End of February, where to go?

Old Nov 21st, 2011, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

End of February, where to go?

Thinking of going away at the end of February, someplace warm considering we will be leaving a Michigan winter. Just the two of us, kids will be home. Looking for fabulous beach, probably all-inclusive. Shopping and some sites ok. When we go tropical, I think beach and not a lot of anything else, just relaxing at the pool or beach and umbrella drinks. I'm thinking 5 days or so. Please help. There are so many islands how do I choose? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 07:00 PM

If you give us some idea of your budget for accommodations it will make it easier for contributors to make meaningful suggestions - Be specific, don't use terms like "affordable" or "not too expensive" as they are meaningless without a dollar point of reference. How long a trip are you planning as that combined with your accommodation budget will have a bearing on where you might stay. Also, do you have a budget for airfare? Are you looking to visit a destination you can reach non-stop from you nearest International Gateway airport or are you willing to take multiple flights and/or ferries to reach your destination? It would help if you told us where in Michigan you are flying from.

Also, other than relaxing on the beach or pool and having drinks (you can do that anywhere) do you have any other interests?

For starters, since you want "All Inclusive" concentrate your efforts on the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cancun, Cozemel and Playa del Carmen - lots of AI's in those places.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM

I think 5 days is really key here. From Michigan you don't want to spend a great deal of time flying. Jamaica is easy for you to get to and has lots of AI's. It will be warm - even in the evening. Sandals Whitehouse has a wonderful huge pool and a swim up bar. They have everything from Kahlua to all the fruity drinks. You can also ask for extra portions if your husband is a bigger eater.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM

Hi, jscarbary,
For guaranteed warm at the end of Feb, the farther south the better.
We like Aruba. It's very close to the equator. You shd be able to get direct flights from Detroit. We fly Toronto/Aruba & it's about a 5 hour direct, non-stop flight.

In Aruba, there are lots of great restaurants so you do not need AI. But, if that is the way you want to go, Riu in Aruba is AI. If not AI, then consider, Marriott or Radisson.

Last February when we went to Aruba we rented a Marriott villa (Marriott Ocean Club timeshare) which we found at:

www.redweek.com

You can rent 2BR, 1BR or Studio which is basically a hotel room.

The Marriott timeshare properties (Ocean Club and Surf Club) are located next door to the Marriott Hotel on Palm Beach.

Hope this helps.

Ocean
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM

We went to St. Martin a few years ago in February and really liked it. Amazing restaurants and nice beach, weather, etc. AI is not the way to go on St. Martin though because the restaurants are excellent, especially on the French side where we stayed. This year we are going to Aruba and staying at the Divi AI. While I don't expect the food to be the best, I have heard the beach at the Divi is the reason to go and the AI is a nice convenience. I have heard Aruba has some great restaurants too, so we might check out one or two when we tire of eating at the resort.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ocean. I have been thinking about Aruba. I think I'll look at it further.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 04:30 AM

Aruba would be a nice choice

Hyat Palm Eagle Beach my fav there

jamiaca.bookit.com many good AI options

couples.com Swept Away or similar get great reviews

luxurylink.com many other great options

Excellence puntacana.com

spirit.com aa.com cheap flights down from Detroit...

Happy Planning!
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 04:32 AM

www.mexico.bookit.com Cancun also not really Carib but

great prices connections... Screts Maroma/Capri for AI my fav
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 09:18 AM

I forgot about Hyatt. The only thing I do not like about the Hyatt on PB is that they do not have real balconies. Only Juliet balconies.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM

Mayan Riviera (the Caribbean coast of Mexico)
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 02:30 PM

Negril Jamaica is also beautiful.