My first time at the caribbean..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine has a time share she is not using this year and had offered it to me. I would like to take advantage of it and travel to the Caribbean but just not sure where to go and considering it’s the end of June not sure when to go. I was thinking Aruba or Bahamas. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM

First you have to find out which islandor islands you can visit using your friend's time share. Since you are planning to go at the "end of June' (which is only 2 weeks away) you may have encounter some limited availability which may reduce your choice of destination. Then, since all islands are different, you should make a list of 5 or 10 "things" that are important for you to experience in an island vacation. Once you know all that you should be able to narrow your choice. FYI - the more information you can supply about your likes and dislikes the easier it will be to steer you in the right directions. For instance, Aruba is a single island while the Bahamas is a chain of over 800 islands and cays - it's hard to pin anything down without knowing where your friend's time share can be used.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks A_Traveller. My friend said I can pick any island I want to go but I wasn't on planning going till Sept or Oct of this year. My concern is of course weather, second where to go?
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 10:13 AM

How exciting to take your first Caribbean trip. I'm sure it won't be your last. Since it's your first time I would recommend an island where the people are known for being friendly and it's easy to get around. I would suggest Grand Cayman. The people are great,and the beach is fabulous.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Not to belabor the point but I think you still have to find out which islands have places that offer reciprical arrangements with your friend's time share. I'm not a TS expert but I don't think one specific time share company can offer accomodations on "all islands".

That said, if you are planning to travel to the Caribbean in September or October you should know that it is "peak" hurricane season so you run the risk (however small) of encountering bad weather. Also, because it's hurricane season many resorts, restaurants, etc. are either closed or operating with limited staff, facilities or on limited scheduleds during that time frame.

Consider visiting Aruba, Bonaire or Curacao as these particular iskands are fairly far south and considered "out of the hurricane belt". Another island that is often by passed by most major storms is Barbados.

Do a bit of research on each island you are considering to find out if they appeal to you. FYI - there are many different type of islands - flat coral based islands with great white sand beaches and little natural vegetation, hilly but arid islands with smaller cove like golden sand beaches or mountainous islands with lush rainforests, lots of natural vegetation and dark sand beaches. Some islands offer great duty free shopping, others are know for great restaurants, still others are very quiet and laid back, some have a definite European or Ameican feel while others are more old world Caribbean. Some have great snorkeling some do not. Some islands are pricey whiles others are more reasonable as far as costs go.

Like I said, make a list of what YOU desire and we can steer you in the right direction.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. I have decided to take my first caribbean trip to Aruba!!! Thanks again.