Cayman condos comparable?

Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:51 AM
Kristen

Cayman condos comparable?

I am deciding between Villas of the Galleon and AquaBay condos. From the info I can find online they both seem nice...great beach and snorkeling, nice rooms. I realize Villas don't have a pool (but who needs a pool with the caribbean right there!).

If anyone has stayed at either or both and provide a firsthand recommendation, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:50 PM
beth

The Villas of the Galleon is right next to the Westin on the best part of the beach. I stayed at the Westin, but the outside of the Villas looked nice. I don't know where the Aqua Bay is ,but it couldn't have a better location than the Villas.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:20 PM
Dee

The Villas is next door to the Ritz Carlton construction project. Could be noise-dust - don't know how active they are at present.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:57 PM
Jodi

Kristen, I've never stayed at the Aqua Bay Club, but I've stayed at the Christoper Columbus right next door. Aqua Bay looks very nice. And I can tell you without a doubt the snorkeling is excellent out front! I personally enjoy a pool because the salt water gets to after a while. That's just me though. I also like that section of the beach as it seems quieter and less busy.

Oct 4th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Sandra

Kristen: We have stayed at the Villas of the Galleon. Just this past May. What a lovely place. Grounds are well kept up and units are very nice & clean. We stayed in Unit #1 w/ a oceanview, ground floor. 2 bedroom, 2 bath, kitchen,dining/living area/washer/dryer/ plenty of space. The manager Lisa & her staff are very nice & helpful. The beach is beautiful!!! Water to die for. I got up every morning and just took a nice long walk down the beach in either direction. Plenty of places to go and eat. Take a walk down to the Reef Grille for a excellent meal.

Yes, you are right why do you need a pool when you have the caribbean waters right in front of you.

Go, enjoy and have a great time. Actually, my husband & I are leaving 10/24 to go back and look for a condo to purchase for rental income. I can't wait to get back to GC. We fell in love w/ it and it is calling us back.

Have a great time!

Oct 4th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Kristen

Thanks for all the info. It seems like I wouldn't go wrong with either!

Oct 11th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Suzanne

I just returned from GC and stayed at Aqua Bay. Aqua Bay was wonderful!! I loved being close to Cemetary Reef to snorkel. I think that is the best spot to see tropical fish and coral in the G.C. The pool was nice but I especially liked the hot tub.

Oct 12th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Lisa

Suzanne,
We are staying at the ABay in December. Any suggestions for us there? It's our first stay in GC. Do we need to make any special requests of them? Thanks.
Lisa

Oct 13th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Suzanne

Everything was taken care of for us. Fruit basket upon arrival and very clean and nice accomidations. The only thing you might want to request is if you would like the ground floor or the top floor. The top floor would probably be the best view due to palms blocking views from the lower floors, also if possible to be in a middle unit vs a end unit. The palms sit to the sides with the pool in the middle so the middle rooms should have the best views. Have fun it is a wonderful place!

Oct 14th, 2002, 05:09 AM
allan

Kristen

I was in GC in September and stayed just down from VOG, which is on a lovely area of beach with sandy shore and shade from trees. However its once idyllic location has been somewhat compromised by the appearance of the Westin next door, which means that the beach can get pretty busy. Not necessarily a problem, unlike the Ritz Carlton which is being built on the other side. The construction was in full flow from 0800-1700 Mon thru Sat and very noisy. You will have seen from the photos that the units face the sea diagonally. I felt sorry for the people in the two blocks by the beach that face southwards, as their patios/balconies were only yards from concrete pillars (probably a wall by now). I assume that these were 'oceanfront' but they should attract a discount not a premium. VOG always seems to have good reviews for the accommodation but I would say don't stay there unless you don’t mind some noise and ensure that you establish what apartment you have been allocated and its position in the resort.