Aqua Bay condos in Grand Cayman

Mar 9th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Aqua Bay condos in Grand Cayman

Will be staying at Aqua Bay this summer. Is anyone familiar with these condos? We prefer to stay at the "quiter end" this time and in a smaller facility rather than a resort. (Stayed at Hyatt last time.)
Mar 9th, 2004, 06:35 PM

Aqua Bay condos are very nice. Although we didn't stay there, we walked past them several times, and thought they looked great. They also have very positive reviews on other sites. The one thing you might want to check out is beach erosion. The northern end of 7MB supposedly has had some erosion problems as of late, and Aqua Bay is where you may run into a beach that has been washed away. Someone else who has been there more recently might be able to confirm. I'd try posting this question on www.caribbean-on-line, in the Caymna Islands board.
Mar 10th, 2004, 08:40 AM

I agree with Scott...when we were there in December the beach at AquaBay and most all of the Northern 7MB beaches were badly eroded, small and rocky. The only condo up that way whose beach was okay was Christopher Columbus.

AquaBay property looked fine though not as expansive or spread out as Christopher Columbus, Plantana and Villas of the Galleon. AB property just seemed cramped to me.

If I were you, I'd look into Plantana...it's at the start of the Northern section but has a great beach
Mar 10th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Agree with Kristen. We went to GC in Feb and I must say, I wasn't impressed with Aqua Bay. Originally, we palanned to stay there, but after hearing about beach erosion, decided on Villas of Galleon.

The property at Aqua Bay seemed very small and very far removed from everything.

I realize you stayed at the Hyatt last time, now that place was a zoo. I can understand how you'd want to stay someplace quieter. But, as Kristen suggested, check out Plantana. (or other places close by)
Mar 17th, 2004, 10:55 AM

We stayed at Aqua Bay over this past Thanksgiving. The beach is badly eroded-it's a bit steep heading from the pool to the water and VERY ROCKY where you would try to enter the water. We went down to the beach in front of Christopher Columbus to swim each day.
The beach began to get decent around Heritage Club though nowhere near as nice as further south towards Plantana and the Westin.
Mar 19th, 2004, 09:55 PM

I agree that the Aqua Bay property seemed very cramped. The beach there has some rock outcroppings and lots of rocks in the water and it was very steep. I was curious to check out the property since it gets so many good reviews, and I can honestly say it is one of the few properties on the northern end of the beach that I would not choose to stay at, but that's because I'm very picky about the beach area, and I don't like cramped places with lots of kids. I was not impressed at all with the property itself although the condos themselves looked fine. Overall seven mile beach was impressive and its easy to see why it makes a lot of the best beaches lists. I'm going to check out the sister islands next trip.