Catholic wedding in Caribbean?

Jan 26th, 1999, 08:14 PM
P.Brunelle

Catholic wedding in Caribbean?

My fiance and I would like to get married in the Caribbean. Our families would like it to be done by a priest. Any suggestions?

Feb 5th, 1999, 05:07 PM
Joel

Arranged weddings are a cottage industry of the Caribbean islands. I know. My wife and I were married there and arranged it from the States.
In our own case, we used directory assistance to get the number of the territorial government in the USVI (St. Thomas) in Charlotte Amalia, asked them for the marriage license bureau (or its equivalent), and then discussed both the legal requirements as well as any locals they might know that arranged weddings. They gave us 2 or 3 names right off.
I wrote the lady and set up exactly what we wanted: a pastor of the faith we wanted, a romantic outdoor cliff setting with a gazebo, the sea and the islands in the background.
We could've opted for a church, limousine, and all that, but in the islands it seemed more natural to go outdoors. Cost $300 including photographer. All we had to do was dress and show up. We aren't catholic, but a catholic priest was available.
I would bet that any island you have in mind could do the same. I would be careful to ensure that I talked to the local government about the legal requirements that have to be met. In the USVI, as I recall we had to be there for 2 or 3 days and we had to sign some papers and pay the usual fee for a marriage license. Feel free to contact me if I can be of further service.

Feb 6th, 1999, 10:02 AM
Webwriter

There is a helpful site at www.viweddings.com...

Aug 25th, 2002, 08:40 AM
ttt

topping

Aug 25th, 2002, 09:10 AM
fyi

there is no residency requirement in the USVI. Applications are available on line. Cooridinators are a dime a dozen all over the caribbean but some chose to arrange their own or use the one who works at a hotel for no charge paying a la carte for the services they use. Religious ceremonies are done every day and the registrar of the particular island can help you locate a priest who is willing to do the ceremony even if you choose to have a non-church one.

Aug 25th, 2002, 09:12 AM
John

We are getting married by a Catholic priest in Negril Jamaica in the next month. As you know, the Catholic church requires you get married in the church. An outdoor wedding is not an option - but pictures can be done outdoors etc.

Priest is fantastic and so is the resort.

If you would like info - let me know and I will email.