carribean in november snorkel q's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am bagging my trip to Maine (too long to explain) and changing gears completely and want to have a beach/snorkle vacation in the carribean.
Have read posts on turks and st. john, but want to know if there are other options for just walking out on the beach and snorkling. prefer my own schedule, not a boat schedule (will do a boat but don't want to have to depend on that everyday)

I think i am going to pamper myself a little but don't really want to spend more than 250 to 300 per night. (blowing the budget, maine was only going to cost about 1000.00)

so, villa renting, resort room? islands other than turks or st. john? any help is always appreciated. thanx in advance.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 08:44 AM

St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Accomodations all price ranges. cheap to $300-400/night. Different islands with different topography all within easy access of each other. Least spoiled of the islands I have visited. Look into Young Island Resort for high end prices. There are other resorts on Bequia, Canuoan, Mayreau, Mustique, all are within this chain. Most beautiful islands I have ever visited within the Caribbean, fo course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Have fun.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 10:27 AM

The only island I can address is St. John. In November, the weather should be excellent but it's still "low" season so you will be able to take advantage of the discounted prices. If you like your own schedule, I would definitely rent a condo or small villa, rent a car and maybe a small motorized boat for a couple of days to get to snorkel spots not accessible from the beach. The snorkel trip operators are also excellent. They'll hit several snorkel spots in a day and usually provide refreshments. Resorts on St. John will usually cost around $400.00 per night unless there's some kind of special going on.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:22 AM

St. John and November should be perfect for beach snorkeling. The attractiveness of snorkeling on St. John is not so much the quality, which is excellent, but the accessibility. The sites are in most cases a short walk from the road. You will need a rental ‘jeep’ but that’s better than a boat schedule.

The place that we stayed at, Sago Cottage, a studio is well within your budget. As Tuxedo Cat pointed out you’re traveling during the low season which will help the rental expense. Take a look at Windspree (http://www.windspree.com/homes/ ) they have several homes within your range.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:22 AM

St John is the first place I think of when someone is looking for good beach snorkeling. I have been thoroughly researching this island for our next vacation, and feel it will be our new "favorite".

However, in doing me research, I found a couple websites that listed November in St John to be one of the rainiest months historically. Obviously, weather could be perfect at that time, but the weather stats over several years say the odds are good for quite a bit of rain. We originally wanted to go in November as well, but decided on June to be a little safer weather wise.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:58 AM

ScottB: Last November was very rainy, but I'm not sure it is always very rainy. In any case, if you go in June, it should prove statistically better. The first time we went to St. John was during a January and it rained every day. But it was always early morning, clearing up by 10am. If you love snorkeling, you will the Virgin Islands. Be sure to schedule a daytrip to Virgin Gorda. The snorkeling around the Baths is so much fun! I look forward to any questions you might have about St. John. It is so wonderful there, you just can't help but want to share the love!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Thank you Tuxedocat.

Yes, I read about St John everyday, and just never seem to get enough, and haven't even been there yet. Our last few vacations have been based on good snorkeling, as we fell in love with snorkeling in Grand Cayman. Everything I've read tells me that St John will be my favorite, and I've been dreaming about getting there for at least 3 years!! How sad is that? Well, I guess a new business & new baby in the same year can keep us tied down for a little while. I have read so much over the last couple years that I feel like I know every beach, snorkeling site, and restaurant on the island. Trust me, as soon as we can break away from reality, we'll be there....I need to snorkel soon!!

Happy Travels all....
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Mae:
We plan on going back to STJ in March.What is the weather normally like during March?We want to go during St Patricks day to go to the parade.
Thanks,
Christie
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Take a look at Curacao for good beach snorkeling. We stayed at the Marriott which was very reasonable & loved it. It is an arid island like Aruba, but with a Dutch flavor. People were freindly, food was excellent & snorkeling was great!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Christie: The weather in March will be fabulous! I was so bummed that you experienced such a heat wave while you were there in June. But really, you would have been hot under the collar with a screaming 2 year old if your were in Alaska. I know! I've told people before. If you are not used to hot weather, make sure you have airconditioning. I saw that you have interest in Sago Cottage. While it is very close to our house, I still have to say some people are okay with the island breezes, and there are those of us who just need the ol' A/C. We bought a nice 12,000 btu for our tiny 700 square foot guest house, and let me tell you there is nothing like waking up in 70 degrees in paradise. While we enjoy our outdoor shower, our wonderful front porch with tradewind breezes...there's nothing quite like falling asleep in Alaska. I know that was the one thing missing from your vacation. Hopefully, you'll have that in March. I do have to say, when we go in January/February, the weather is considered cool around 75 degrees. So heat is not such an issue. In March, it should be perfect.
ScottB: I am so excited for you as I was for Christie. I'm just glad that Christie's particular circumstances did not sour her on St. John. I know all about the new business and new baby thing. My daughter is 2 and 1/2 and has been part of this whole St. John adventure of ours. But it's tough with all of those mainland priorities. As I tell my friends, the fantasy itself has helped keep me sane. The reality of St. John will not disappoint! There are so many wonderful aspects to explore. Until you do go, there are plenty of us fanatics on this board to keep the dream alive with you!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Mae:
We also like the Honeymoon cottage on Francis bay which is fully air conditioned.The March trip will be just me and DH.

I bet that with the 110 degree temp that we will have here in NC today..I will wish that I was in ST John.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:32 AM

I hate to cause any problems but Young Island Resort on St. Vincent was a BOMB!
I am not referring to PSV which is far better not one to consider. The other suggestions above along with Parrot Key in the Turks and Curacao-snorkeling in beautiful coves in the West End-Knip Beach for one, about 20 minutes from the Marriott is very good but does not compare to Caneel.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Interesting as Johnny Depp alledgedly stayed there while filming Pirates of the Caribbean. What happened that made it so bad? I've never spent the night there just visited. Seemed fine during the day visit.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

thanx for all the info on ST. john. my only option right now is early nov. and i am sure a rainy day on st. john is better than any day at work! odds are i'll have some good weather out of 7 days.... i was thinking that if i stayed at westin or caneel, i'd save a car rental but maybe it will be cheaper to have a car caneel appears out of range anyway. any thoughts?
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Check out the website: Caribbeandays.com, they seem to have a lot of interesting rental options. Also, you should check out Estate Lindholm. It is just outside Cruz Bay. A short walk to Francis Bay which is a great snorkel spot and is right next to Asolare, one of the best restaurant/bars on the island. It may not offer the amenities of a resort, but I've heard good reviews. I still think you should rent a car at least half of your days there because it is far more convenient and there is so much beauty on St. John to explore. Also, I think early November will be fine.