Island recommendation for November

Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Island recommendation for November

Hi - I'm looking to book a 4 - 5 day getaway to the Caribbean in early - mid November. We are flying from New York, and since it's such a short trip, ideally we wouldn't spend too much time travelling. I've been to Vieques before and thought about going back there since I enjoyed the general atmosphere - not too touristy and resorty, some boutique/small lodging options, empty beaches accessible via self-exploration, etc. Would love to try a new island though, and I'm also concerned in general about the weather in November. Since snorkeling and secluded beaches are high on the list, maybe st. john? Any ideas would be much appreciated
Sep 24th, 2005, 06:41 AM

St. John should be great in November and the travel time to St. Thomas would enable you be on St. John by the afternoon. All the restaurants will be open and the beaches should be reasonably uncrowded. Snorkeling is some of the best that you’ll find. There’s a wealth of information on Fodors and several USVI specific boards.

Since you’re flying from New York you could consider one of the Bahama Out Islands. Jet Blue has a flight ( 719 ) that lands in Nassau at 10:55am daily. If you find a local airline to meet your time schedule you could be on an Out Island at the same time that you would arrive on St. John. Snorkeling may not be as good as St. John but the beaches are definitely more secluded.
Sep 24th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into st. John and some of the out islands in the bahamas.
Sep 24th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Another thought is Provo, T&C which is a relatively short flight from NY (about 3.5 hours). Great snorkeling, beaches, good food.
Sep 24th, 2005, 02:00 PM

How warm are the Bahama out islands in November? I'm going to Exuma Nov 3.
Sep 26th, 2005, 07:07 PM

I spent most of November 2001 in Barbados (my honeymoon) and have been back twice since then. The weather has always been just about perfect. Warm and sunny, but not too hot. There are non-stop flights from JFK and they are about 4.5 hours.

Barbados is a small, beautiful island, with the big resorts on the south and west coasts. There are a variety of accomdations on the island, ranging from high-end resorts, like Sandy Lane, to rental apartments and houses.

It's easy to rent a car and explore. The beaches on the east coast are beautiful and fun to just walk along (swimming those beaches in Nov. isn't advised - it's the Atlantic coast and can be very rough). We went snorkling and diving on the west and south coasts (the Caribbean side of the island).

Have a great time, wherever you go.
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Let me try a little reverse psychology: Nooo...not St. John...you don't want to go there... go to Turks & Caicos, go to Dominican Republic...