Caribbean Resort w/ Great Beach and Tennis Courts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking for a resort/hotel in the Caribbean that has a beautiful beach and some tennis courts (does not have to be a tennis resort). We would like to spend approx $300 - 400 USD/night. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

JUST TO ADD - We would be going in mid-February.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:49 AM

If there are running a special, Swept Away has wonderful tennis facilities as well as everything else going for it. It is in Negril and is a couples resort. The best overall fitness facilities anywhere on most of the islands (have been to many). Also, a resident pro or two at no charge.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 08:59 AM

My husband and I like to take a long tennis weekend once a year, and choose places where tennis is more than just incidental (though we don't need a tennis camp).

Last year, we did our tennis trip in February (President's weekend), staying at El Conquistador in Puerto Rico. The tennis facilities were superb, with clay courts (some lighted), a decent pro shop and stunning views of El Yunque and the Caribbean Sea. The only catch is that to get to the beach, you have to take a ferry over to the resort's private island, El Palomino; it's a pretty beach, but a bit crowded during high season. We Pricelined it and paid just $100/night, but I imagine rack rates would be within your price range.

Tomorrow (yippee!) we leave for Grand Cayman, where we'll be staying at the Ritz Carlton on Seven Mile Beach. The tennis facility bears Nick Bollettieri's name, and Seven Mile Beach is the stuff of legend. (Haven't been there yet, so I can't personally vouch for it.) The price might be outside your range during high season, but you might be able to get some decent packages.

Large resorts are not typically my style, and I would normally choose neither El Con or the RC for a "regular" vacation, but better tennis facilities are usually found only at bigger hotels.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Callalo, you will love the Ritz on GC. We are headed back next weekend.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Four Seasons resort in Exuma Island (Bahamas) has a georgous beach and tennis courts. We were there in August 2006.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 01:51 PM

FS Great Exuma is more than $300 a day. The cheapest rooms are called the Bed & Breakfast package and with tax and service they are $450++ except in the lowest season (hurricane and more likely tropicl depressions-rain-) when it will be just under $400 without lunch or dinner and from our 2 experiences the food was not very good. In 2005 the General Manager had to comp. us and a number of other guests. We were comped 5 dinners and 3 lunches. Very poor snorkeling but lovely rooms and facility and nice beach.

The BEST place, even in the low season with rain, is Caneel Bay on St. John. It will cost $550 MAP with good food, very good tennis complex (but hot so you have to play at 7-8 AM or 6-7 PM, beautiful beaches, excellent off the beach snorkeling, lovely grounds, most of the staff is quite efficient and the rooms while simple are furnished with upscale minimalistic but in great condition furniture. This is based on 7-8 visits over the years. Last trip in April 2005.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Just echoing kfusto about Swept Away, a fabulous place for a couples escape, which from your handle you probably need!