Hershey Park). We will be visiting for 4 days in Aug. Please suggest fun
things for us to do, love shopping, eating should be more fun than fancy,
staying at Fairmont Hamilton Sun thru Thurs (have breakfast plan). What are
Harbour Nights? Daughter likes to golf. Also, very concerned about what to
wear.How do you dress to go from hotel to ferry to other hotel to beach? What
about casual dining, shopping,etc. Under the impression that people dress up
more in Bermuda, is that true? Should we shop in the am and go to beach in
the afternoon. Trying to do as much as we can and need an itinerary. Is she
old enough to have a glass of wine with dinner? Thank you soooo much!
Jul 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM

There are plenty of fun things to do in Bermuda. I suggest you go to www.bermudatourism.com and get a feel for things you might like off of that website. There's snorkeling, scuba, art galleries, the aquarium, etc. A must is to go into St. Georges. It has been designed a World Heritage site by UNESCO. You will not be bored for a second. Harbor Nights is every Wednesday during high season. They shut down Front Street and have vendors, musicians, food, etc. It's very touristy and fun. They also have what is called Market Night in St. George on Tuesday as well a at Dockyard (not sure of what it's called) on the other end of the island. As far as your daughter playing golf, she has quite a few courses to choose from. As far as dress, Bermudians are kinda conservative. I don't suggest wearing your beach wear around town. You wouldn't wear a bathing suit to a nice restaurant at home. But it's not that they dress up more, I believe that they are more modest than we are. I don't believe at 18 she's legally old enough to drink, but I could be wrong. If you go on www.bermudatourism.com you can do a search and find this out. I hope I've answered some of your questions. I'm sure there are others with much more to add.
Jul 26th, 2007, 01:19 PM

I topped a thread on Bermuda fun for you. Maybe it will give you some ideas. Have a great time!
Jul 26th, 2007, 06:24 PM

You will have a great time! My mother and I took a trip together when I was 19. We went to Puerto Rico and we had so many laughs together. We still laugh today (just a little more than 20 years later
I think the drinking age is 18. I know we went when I was about that age and no one questioned me ordering a rum swizzle
I would shop in town, take the bus around the island. It is very easy and safe to use public transportation. I believe you mentioned a ferry, probably to the sister resort, the Southhampton Fairmont. I believe right next to the Fairmont is a big snorkel area called (church bay?) My husband walked over there. So snorkel!! Ride a moped if you dare. Food is great on the island. There is a perfume factory and the crystal caves.
Definitely wear coverups when walking around with swimsuits in the hotel. Bermudians are conservative as said above. I always dressed in nice capris with nice tops or a sundress. Things have gotten more casual over the years, but leaning toward a dressy side is the safer bet.
There was a funny comedian that was a piano player-comedian act for the hotel clubs. His name was Jimmey Keys. Iwould go see him. He is very funny. Not sure where he may be performing or if he is still. Last time I saw him was about 5 years ago at the Southampton Fairmont.
Sorry if it sounds like I am rambling, but I am thinking of things and typing away. I have been to Bermuda about 6 times starting when I was 12. I am now in my early forties. It is such a pretty island. It is the only island my husband wishes to go to more than once.
Jul 27th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, but can you explain what topped a thread means and how I can access it? Sorry!
Jul 27th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Hi
Topping means that cmcfong brought up an older post with lots of Bermuda info for you. I just topped it again for you.
Look for the post that is titled Bermuda a few of my favorite things.
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Can you recommend some restaurants near the Fairmont Hamilton Princess that we might enjoy, we don't eat fish, but love Italian. Thanks
Jul 31st, 2007, 07:02 AM

Little Venice, Primavera, and La Trattoria are all quite close to your hotel. Portofino for pizza is just up the hill. An excellent restaurant is up Rosemont Avenue about a quarter mile, Ascots in the Royal Palms hotel. Next door at Waterloo House is one of the best restaurants on the island. You will have no trouble finding good Italian food in Bermuda. Have a wonderful time.