Tired of AI - want sailing/tennis...

Jan 30th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Tired of AI - want sailing/tennis...

I'm trying to find the place where
my family and I can stay on the beach, swim, windsurf, sail and play tennis. We would like to stay
put in one place and not hire a car.
It is fine to walk on the beach to the nearest place where to rent a
small sail boat/widsurfing.
Another wish, destination - should have direct flights by major airlines.
Thank you in advance.
Jan 30th, 2009, 06:11 AM

The Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman has a tennis facility (3 clay courts, and 1 grass) run by the Bollitieri organization. The hotel is on 7 Mile Beach, with plenty of diversions (including Hobie Cat rentals) on site or within a short walk down the beach. Cayman Air flies to Grand Cayman from several US jumping-off points.

For a tennis-oriented vacation, I've also stayed at the El Conquistador in Puerto Rico (LOTS of direct flights from the US). The tennis facility is very nice, and there is also golf on site. The El Con's beach is on a private island a short and free ferry ride away, and you can rent Hobies and other toys there. Everything you need for a family vacation is pretty much on site, and I admit that -- while generally being an independent and exploration-oriented sort of traveler, we never left the resort property.

You can read my trip reports here: www.islandtime.homestead.com.
Jan 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Curtain Bluff in Antigua has all that at your disposal. I think their watersports operation is one of the best ever. When I was there in December, I saw children and adults of all ages going on boat rides, using sunfish and small hobie cats. The staff is great and will help you if you never have used the equipment, or leave you be if you want. This is all included. They also have a great tennis court facility.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Callaloo and Naveron, Thank you for suggestions. Callaloo - I enjoyed
reading you reports.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:35 PM

When I think of sailing I think BVI. You could stay on any of the islands and either charter a boat for the entire stay or just for a day or two!

Peace, Greenie
Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM

In Grand Cayman, if you want to wind surf you should stay on the east end (but I recommend a car). The 7MB area is too calm for wind surfing. The east end has excellent beaches, windsurfing (on most days), sail boats, diving, snorkeling,etc. Everything but the crowds

Search this Thread