Caribbean is becoming out of reach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have loved my trips and I am addicted to this board. Many of you are planning trips or have just returned and you stay in nice places. But the Caribbean is fast becoming out of reach for me. With hotel rooms in high season averaging $700 and air fare (in Canada anyway) at close to $1000 per passenger to most island destinations, I simply can't afford those prices. Maybe its just a Canadian thing (our dollar is limp) but I am going to have to seriously re-evaluate travel plans to my favourite destination.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:35 PM

I guess it depends on exactly what you are looking for, but you might want to try Mexico. You do get more bang for your buck and the weather and the water are just as nice.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:08 PM

I think you are off the mark when you say the average Caribbean room rate in high season is $700. While that rate holds true for many high end properties there are plenty of places that have room rates well under that figure - you just have to set your sights a bit lower and consider staying at something other than a 4 or 5 star resort. You might consider visiting in Low or Sholder Season when you can find rooms at some of the best places for $300 to $400 per night. Another suggestion is to stay in a hotel that's not directly on the beach where quite often you can find rooms $200 to $300 per night in High Season and even less in Low Season. Also, consider places like the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cancun, Cozemel and Belize as these are some of the least costly destinations in the Caribbean. You'll also find many moderately proced hotels throughout the Bahamas Out-Islands, Grand Turk, the outlying areas of Puerto Rico, on the islands of Vieques and Culebra, Antigua, St. Vincent, Grenada, Bonaire, Curacao, Guadalupe and Dominica, to name a few. I've travelled to more than 25 different islands and the one common factor almost every island has is a wide range of hotel accommodations to fit almost every pocketbook.

Do your research, check package deals offered through on-line travel sites like Expedia, Orbitz and Travelicity. Also check airline web-site for special vacation packages. You should be able to find something in your particular budget range.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM

Wow, if you're a Canadian then and you want great value for out buck, then you really should check out Cuba. My last 9 caribbean trips have been to various areas of Cuba and I'm headed back again this fall. What an amazing and diverse country to enjoy.

Steve
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM

bosoco, how close are you to the US? The girl on the flight next to us (from Detroit) drove from Toronto. They saved $700 each in airfare.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM

bosoco, please don't give up hope! There are places on nearly every island, even during high season, that are under US $200/night. They might not be fancy or luxurious, but they're in the Caribbean all right. There are definitely ways to travel less expensively, and you certainly don't have to stay in a 5* hotel in order to get 5 stars worth of wonderful travel memories!

Check out Air Canada to Grenada and look at La Sagesse, with their most expensive rooms going for around $140/night in US dollars. Romantic & isolated ambience. Right on the beach, simple rooms in a simple style, but oh, what a location. Or take a look at the b&b called Jenny's Place, right on the main beach of Grand Anse, walkable to various restaurants and beach bars. Less romantic ambience but convenience makes up for it. Again, less than US $200/night.

You could even consider traveling with friends or adult family members to share a villa and split the expense that way.

On Bequia you'd have to spend more money to get there, but you could have your pick of guesthouses for under US $75/night in HIGH season.

There are still deals to be found--you just may have to look a little harder for the places that don't advertise in glossy travel magazines or offer travel packages on Expedia.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

While its true you can find hotels for less than 700 a night in high season, there is still the issue of airfare. Air Canada is expensive. Even the air only charter air fares are at least $800 a pop. Maybe I will look into Cuba and Mexico like alot of other Canadians.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Don't give up! You can get a bit more creative. If you are not too far from the U.S. border, you could try one a U.S. airport as cocontom suggested. Also, if you've been reading on this board, you can find some terrific villa/condo rentals that can save you plenty as well.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 06:19 AM

I've just started researching a trip to Colombia. I was pretty surprised to find they 'own' a couple islands in the Caribbean, quite a bit closer to Nicaragua than Colombia. The largest is San Andres. Small island, not much to do but beach,snorkel,dive. A few resorts, definitely not five star, but very cheap. It appears that most tourists are either Canadian or Colombian. There are charters out of Toronto and Montreal, although they are seasonal.

My plan is to combine San Andres with a trip to the colonial city of Cartagena. Looks awesome.

Now, I just have to convince dear husband.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate everyone support and suggestions -- they are all valid. But don't you think that some islands are just becoming out of reach? Turks and Caicos for one: Amanayara cheapest room rate in low season is over US$1000. Now I know that there are many other hotel choices on Provo for less but the ante just keeps going up....
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 07:38 AM

I do agree that prices are going up and up. However, I think you can still find good prices. You got some great suggestions already.
I don't know Air Canada's flight schedule to the Caribbean, but I have found some lower prices with other airlines by playing around with my dates. For example, we're leaving for Anguilla on a Monday (instead of the usual Friday or Saturday and Sunday) and the ticket price dropped considerably. With 3 people flying, it added to a nice amount of extra cash.
Good luck.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Yes, prices are going up in the Caribbean but prices for everything are going up everywhere - all over the world. It's all relative. Provo in the T&C's has always been one of the more expensive islands as has Grand Cayman, Anguilla and St. Barth's. These will, no doubt, always be expensive destinations. The same is true for most high end resorts - the cost more because the offer more in terms of location, services and amenities. The majorityof visitors to the Caribbean don't stay in high end resorts rather they are budget travellers.

As I said in my earlier post - if you set your sights a bit lower you should be able to find plenty of hotels and resorts that have affordable room rates. If, however, you remain fixated on the room rates charged by the top high end resorts your are going to end up disappointed and discouraged. Remember, there's nothing wrong with staying at a moderately priced hotel - after all you only need slleping accomodation as the beaches on most islands are public, you can find inexpensive local places to dine or you can even save more money by self-catering. There are plenty of ways to "do the Caribbean"on a budget. The reality is hotel rooms in the Caribbean cost pretty much the same as hotel rooms in other popular vacation destinations - there are room prices to fit most reasonable budgets.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM
KVR

I agree that prices on some Islands are a bit much. However, we cut costs by staying at lesser known hotels and do the AI option when it's offered. We travel at least 3-4 times a year and stay in cheap or moderate AI hotels so we can afford to travel often. We also do packages that includes air and hotel. From our area, which we can only fly AA or Continental, I've never found a better deal doing air/hotel seperate.

We went to T & C in May '06. I would never even consider staying at the Palms or the Amanayara. What a waste of money. We got a very nice room at the Sibonne directly on Grace Bay. We didn't need, want or want to pay for the unnecessary amentites those high priced hotels offer. We didn't care for T &C because we prefer AI hotels and more activites, shopping and nightlife, but for the people who enjoy a slow, laid back atmosphere there are places to stay on a budget.

For us, the least expensive, most bang for your buck destination is Mexico. Very nice AI hotels that includes amenities such as in room bar, in room jacuzzis, several ala cart resturants, good liquor, and room service that other hotels in the Caribbean will charge extra for such services.

Also look into cruising if your interested in that. We really don't care for cruising, but if you break down the cost of accomendations, food, and entertainment compared to some Caribbean destinations, it really is a good deal. We've been on 2 Caribbean cruises that we really didn't care for, but are trying it again for the 1st time next month just because the iteniary of Islands are so appealing. There is no way we could see them all again on a land vacation for what we paid for the cruise.

I've read on other boards that Canadians have used US travel agents and were able to book and pay for package vacations in US funds that have been converted from Canadian money. I really don't know or understand how that works, but it appears to have worked for them.

I've also noticed that many destinations are trying to attract more of the rich/elite crowd. Putting in high end, pricey hotels with foo-foo amentities, and then slapping on prices that give average travelers like us "sticker shock". Those places are also putting lower priced/moderate hotel out of business. Very sad. However, there are still decent places to stay within a budget if your look hard enough and compromise.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Provo is expensive, but it doesn't have to be. We love Provo but would never be able to pay $700+/night. If that was the case our vacation would last all of 2 nights! By traveling in low season we can spend a week at a beachfront house. Amanyara or Somerset it isn't, but we'll take a longer vacation any day over a fancy room and shorter stay.

I guess it's all a matter of choices and trade-offs. Just have to be flexible. Don't give up, caribbean is worth it!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Jed

If you are interested in <i>great bargains</i> in the Caribbean, it would be to your advantage to check out Priceline. My jaw dropped when I saw some of the winning bids.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:25 AM

I agree there are places that are getting outrageously expensive, especially for what you get.

But Amanyara, that is the highest on the island of Provo. There are many other places to stay that will give you the feel of luxury and enjoyment of the beach without cleaning out your wallet.

I feel the Caribbean offers something for every traveler's budget. If you love the Caribbean (as we do) you can find a way to get your toes wet at any price.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:25 PM

It maybe your the only Canadian that hasn't gone to the D.R...lol..Dollar for dollar it has the best value for vacations...Our favorite places have been Punta Cana and La Romana.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Out of all our trips, here are the two destinations that received our own &quot;best-value&quot; designation in high season -- Curacao Marriott and Shangri-La Caribe in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. Oops, just thought of another one -- Fairmont Pierre Marques in Acapulco. All have room rates under $300 in high season and other costs not too expensive. I too have been complaining about the high airfares, Cancun (for Playa Del Carmen) and Jamaica seem to be the most reasonable.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

These are all great suggestions and great advice. I feel better and will stop my &quot;Feeling sorry for myself cuz I can't afford top drawer&quot; vacations.