Reload this Page >

Trip Report to come - Biras Creek Resort, Virgin Gorda

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:34 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

We just got back last night from a great stay at Biras Creek Resort in Virgin Gorda. It was our first time there (but not our last!) In the meantime, if anyone has any simple questions about the place, feel free to post them here. I will have a trip report ready within the next week or so.

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM
owa

I will be very interested in your trip report as we are going to BC for the first time in May. Did you buy a package on Luxury Link? Do they have an exchange library of books, or do I need to bring a large supply? Also, if you snorkeled, please give advice. Thanks, Owa

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 03:08 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

owa - we secured reservations directly through Ralph Locke Islands. The library was not huge, but they had a small-moderate number of books available, including about 15 in our room. I don't think you would need to take along a large supply. Snorkeling was not as good as I remembered from my last visit to BVI in 1992 (15 years ago), but staff can direct you to the better places. We saw the most underwater life on an excursion to the Baths/Devil's Bay, and again on a resort-organized (and included) 2-hour visit to Mosquito Island. Waters around Oil Nut Bay were too rough on the day we visited the reef there. Not enough people signed up for the Anegada day excursion, so I cannot tell you about that, although one fellow who had been there in the previous week was slightly disappointed. If you do not make snorkeling your primary focus, you will be OK, but it was not as good as I had hoped for. Still, an amazing and wonderful place to stay... it was a great vacation, which we plan to repeat!

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:26 AM
owa

Thank you very much for responding to my questions. The Ralph Locke Island site was a new one for me. Do you use them often? Do they give better rates than if you go direct to the resort sites?

I'm glad you had a good time, and I look forward to your trip report. Thanks again. Owa

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:05 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

First time with Ralph Locke - great service, very impressed with their responsiveness to questions and requests. I figured prices were the same as resort site. We were eligible for a discount due to booking during a time when a promotion was offered.

Only disappointment was that I was celebrating a very significant birthday (one of the precious metal ones), which BC had been advised of by Ralph Locke from original booking last July- I know this because one of the General Assistants asked me on the first day, "Which one of you has the birthday?", and absolutely nothing was done to acknowledge this further. I was not expecting much of anything... hey, a candle on my dessert the last night would have been enough. Maybe it was the discount... Even so, I am not a high maintenance guest, but when it is a special occasion, a simple acknowledgement would be nice, as the occasion of my birthday resulted in our choice of this particular resort over others.

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

So, listen to this... I got home from work tonight, and there was a large box at my front door. I carried it inside the house and opened it. Lo and behold . . . a large chocolate cake with "Happy Birthday" on the top, along with a card that said, "Happy Birthday from your friends at Biras Creek Resort."

I had mentioned this to absolutely no one, so 1. this is standard procedure or 2. they realized they had goofed after our departure, or 3. someone affiliated with the resort has been reading this post.

Doesn't matter to me what the impetus was at this point. I am thrilled with the gesture; the resort is a true class act all the way. We're already planning to return next year for two weeks! I LOVE BIRAS CREEK.

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:03 AM
owa

Good for you!! That really is impressive. Owa

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you really love to snorkel, go over to The Bitter End Yacht Club right next door to Biras and take the 11 or 2:30 snorkle boat for $10. Kinto will take you to great spots for an hour of super snorkeling. You may want to check out Little Dix Bay resort as well.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:15 AM
owa

jkr2006, Does the boat go out daily? I will certainly check it out. Thanks, Owa

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Glad your story had a happy ending, ETP!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Please do not be disappointed but the snorkel trip from the Bitter End is similar to 75% of the snorkel spots arounf VG-dying or dead coral from thermal warming and some from pollution.
An article in the New York Times last week said overall the bleaching in the Caribbean is more than 50% with a few surviving places in Cayman Islands, Grenadines,Bonaire, St. John, Curacao. It is stll very healthy along the second largest Barrier Reef in the world that extends from Belize to the Bay Islands in Honduras.
It all depends on your expectations.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:30 AM

You don't have to walk to the BEYC for a snorkling trip! Biras has their own guided snorkeling trips on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They are easily arranged at the front desk or by signing up with one of the GAs (General Assistants) after breakfast at the adjacent lounge area. We enjoyed going out on a few just to get the "lay of the land" (and sea) so when we took out those cute little Boston Whalers on our own, we had a good idea of what was where including the nearby beaches of the North Sound. Fun to explore.

Stan, alas, Belize's reef isn't as it was 20 years ago, but then what is! I'm sure some snorkelers might enjoy just seeing fish, rays, turtles, and marine life as we do as scuba divers. There's far more to the underwater world than a reef.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM

The health of the coral determines the number and variety of fish, sea fans, sponges and anenomes. On our last trip to the Bay Islands in Honduras in late 2005 the coral was quite healthy. I could care less about reefs. My only interest is a profusion of different types and colors of heathy coral for as said above that's what the underwater wonders thrive on.
The outings from Biras Creek are pleasant but the only spot with healthy coral they took us to (we went on 4 trips) was Oil Nut Bay. But because it can be rough it is not a spot to take a Boston Whaler to but the 90 outings go there once a week. At least they did in Dec.'07.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Many a great dives (in 200+ BVI dives) were spent in the shallow sea grasses full of all kinds of fish and marine life, not to mention the Wreck of the Rhone which is a fabulous snorkeling and scuba dive, also full of fish. Hubby Kenny, the windsurfer, loves to skim along and look for turtles and rays all over the BVI.

While I am delighted with the reefs, I LOVE the fish and marine critters! And there's plenty of those in the BVI of all sizes, types, and colors for snorkelers as well as divers.

Biras's snorkeling trips can introduce guests to the nearby underwater world quite well. As I remember, one of our best snorkeling adventures was years ago with one of Biras's trips and we were so facinated with the fish that we forgot to look down at the reefs!
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 06:37 AM

The Bitter End boat goes twice a day, every day. We also chartered the Double D, a large comfortable boat out of Spanish Town for a day for 13 of us. We went to several different snorkeling spots and had a fine time. Dave, the captain made the choices based on wind and water conditions. Some spots were better than others, but it was a great day.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
owa

Any chance of a trip report? Owa

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:28 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

Sorry - serious family medical/eldercare issues all-consuming at present. Will try to take care of this "soon." You go in May, right?

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:07 AM
owa

I'm sorry to hear about more serious issues than a trip report. I hope all turns out for the best. Yes, we go May 1. Thanks, Owa

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:28 AM

My knocking Virgin Gorda's snorkeling is valid for avid snorkelers who want conditions equal to Caneel/St.John.
I realize Belize is not what is was 20 years ago but we just returned from 13 days split between Belize and the Bay Islands of Honduras both in the far Western Caribbean. The conditions are the best in the Caribbean/Bahamas based on 6 trips in the past 4 years to that region.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:29 PM
owa

Stankase, Would love to hear where you stayed and what you did. How many trips a year do you normally take? Thanks, Owa