Caribbean getaway

Apr 10th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Caribbean getaway

Hello Everyone,

I currently live in Miami, Fl and would love an escape to one of the Caribbean islands. I would like to go to an island that has things to do, yet is very relaxing with not so crowded beaches. If you can please recommend islands, where to stay, and how to get there, that would really help me greatly. Thanks in advance!
Apr 10th, 2018, 12:03 PM

Sorry, but your question is much to general. If you include the Bahamas Out Islands there are more than 800 islands and cats in the Caribbean and all but the 4 or 5 largest and most populated islands meet the requirements you listed.

You need to provide more info such as:

When do you plan to travel?

Where will you be traveling from?

How long a trip are you planning?

How many airplane flights and/ or ferry rides are you willing to take to reach your intended destination?

What type of budget do you have for airfare?

Will you be traveling alone or with others?

What kind of island activities interest you?

Do you Invision visiting a flat arid island with long strands of white sand beaches or perhaps a hilly island with a variety of golden sand beaches or maybe a lush mountainous island with dense rain forests, small darker sand cove like beaches?
Apr 10th, 2018, 12:51 PM

You're in luck!! Every single island have "things to do" and are "relaxing".
Now all you need to do is tell us what you like doing, budget, food likes, type of accommodations......
Sorry for the sarcasm, but impossible to answer your question with so little to go on.
Apr 10th, 2018, 01:32 PM

Go to Negril Jamaica. Look here: Negril Resorts, Hotels and Vacations, Negril Onestop Jamaica Resorts and Hotels on the hotel map and click on the various properties to see which one you like best. I suggest you get there by plane.
Apr 11th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

I plan on traveling sometime in August (most likely sometime between the last two weeks).

I would like the trip to be no longer then ten days.

I would be traveling from Miami, FL. I would like something not so expensive.

I have never traveled to the Caribbean which is why I am asking for suggestions.

Things I would like to do: Snorkeling, hiking, swimming with dolphins in their natural habitat, etc. (fun stuff)
Apr 11th, 2018, 01:12 PM

Define "not so expensive" in terms of actual dollars. We have no idea what you consider expensive.

Swimming with dolphins in their "natural habitat" is a very rare occurrence and almost never happens. Some islands have paid attractions that offer "swimming with dolphins" that are in captivity which many people find controversial. Google the topic for more info.

The US and British Virgin islands have a good combination of hiking and snorkeling but they are still recovering from the recent hurricanes so you may find many resorts are still undergoing repairs.

Bonaire has some fantastic snorkeling but it is a very flat and arid island so hiking is not a strong suit. The beaches on that island are just OK.
Apr 11th, 2018, 05:54 PM

https://www.cheapcaribbean.com/

is a good website to use to look around at the different islands and get pricing. I have never booked thru them but since you don't know the Caribbean at all, might get you started.

Also right here on Fodor's you can go under Destinations are read about places to start your research.

As people have mentioned already, every island has most of what you are looking for in one way or the other.
Apr 12th, 2018, 03:04 AM

Since you have never been to the Caribbean before, I would suggest Barbados because it has the beautiful beaches that you expect, good tourist infrastructure, historical sights, no hiking to speak of, some snorkelling and plenty of hotels to suit all budgets. Best place to stay is on the West coast for calm clear water. Less expensive area to stay is the south west coast, by St Lawrence, a lively area.

Aruba is also a great beginner island, some say it is very Americanised. I'm not bothered by that, usually Americanised means you have lots of facilities. Beaches are gorgeous, lots of hotels to choose from, great range of restaurants, activities such as horse riding to parts of the island inaccessible by vehicles. Snorkelling is not bad on some beaches eg Malmok Beach. It is arid with lots of cactus.

Antigua is also an easy island, loads of beaches, snorkelling so-so but you can take excursion to see the stingrays, lots of hotels to choose from.
I'd skip the idea of swimming with dolphins, I would hate to see such intelligent animals kept in captivity as a tourist attraction. You can see them in their natural habitat sometimes on boat excursions.

You are planning a trip in the hurricane season so there is a risk there. If there is no hurricane, you could experience fantastic weather and uncrowded beaches, lower rates. But you could experience heavy rain and wind if a hurricane is in another part of the Caribbean.
Apr 12th, 2018, 03:44 AM

Since you live in Miami, I realize you know all about the hurricane risk at that time of year. I've travelled to the Caribbean in August several times and never had a problem. However, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are a safer bet if you do want to avoid the possibility of hurricanes.

While Aruba has some beautiful beaches, I wouldn't recommend it for someone who lives in Miami and is going on their first trip to the Caribbean. While it is much more arid and desert like than Florida, it doesn't feel that different than being in the U.S. and if you're only going for beaches, you could drive to the gulf coast of Florida and see beaches that are just as beautiful.

We went to Curacao last summer and really loved it. It has a similar climate and topography to Aruba but it has a much more European vibe and the western part of the island has some remote and beautiful beaches. The areas on the eastern part of the island can be more crowded but not the big high rise resorts you'll find on some islands. Also, Willemstad, the Capital, is a great town to explore. There is also really good off the beach snorkeling which is fun.

I'd also suggest Antigua for more of the "Caribbean feel" that many people expect. It's hilly with gorgeous beaches.

Lastly, I love Puerto Rico. While San Juan area beaches are probably too crowded for you, Old San Juan is fun to explore but you can also rent a car and drive all over the island. I just returned from San Juan and that area is recovering from the hurricanes but everyone was so grateful to see tourists again. We were thanked over and over and were so glad we visited.