Car rental or taxis on St. Croix?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at the Buccaneer on St. Croix for 5 days this winter. We are planning to go out to eat each evening, and want to see some of the island as well. Are we better off renting a car or just using taxis?
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:57 PM

I would rent a car. St.Croix is a pretty good sized island. It's always nice to just get in the car and explore and go where you want when you want. To see the island from a completely different perspective do a day with Tan Tan Tours. It will be the highlight of your trip, it was ours! www.tantantours.com.

Have a nice time

Denise
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM

Definitely rent a car. STX is a great island to drive around and taxis are expensive anyway. I don't understand why so many people choose NOT to rent a car when visiting STX and staying at the Buc. It is very safe driving anywhere on the island and the vast geographical differences between the East (arid) and West (rainforest) affords nice partial day excursions.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:38 AM

Can anyone give me more information on Tan Tan Tours? I have read that they are a lot of fun, but seem a bit pricy ($110pp). That would be $550 for the 5 of us. What all does it include? Thanks!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:37 AM

The tour is an all day tour. Wave picked us up (we had 10 in our group and they had 5 jeeps) in Christiansted at 9:00 am and we didn't get back to our villa until about 7:00pm. This trip is worth every penny. You have to be some what adventureous though. We went straight up a mountain and I was scared to death, but when we reached the top the view was unbelievable. You will do ALL of St. Croix including the bubbly pool, the roller coaster, the rain forrest, the Domino Club, the Divi Resort, the Sunset Bar, Cane Bay for lunch and so much more. Wave Phillip and his guys are super! One word of advice, bring a pair of sandals for when you stop at the resorts and bars, we looked pretty silly with swimsuits and tennis shoes. And if possible, sit in the front jeep. My sisters and sisters-in-laws got pretty dirty in the back jeeps from all the dust.
When you go to the Domino Club, be sure to have some Mamajuana! And bring some home with you.

As you can probably tell, we LOVED Tan Tan Tours and highly recommend it!

Have a great vacation!

Denise
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 01:22 PM

I would rent a car for one day only. We managed to explore the entire island in one day and the Buc has a very convenient and inexpensive taxi system where the same driver picks you up and you pay around $20 for the round trip. The city is 5 minutes away which helps. do not miss Buck Island
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 03:29 AM
owa

Yes, rent a car for one day at least. The Buccaneer has rental cars in their parking lot. Couldn't be easier. It is very easy to drive around STX to explore all the little roads off the main highway. We happened on some roads that took us to some beautiful, empty beaches. We stopped for coffee, lunch, and snorkeling and still saw the whole island in one day. Have fun, Owa

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Hi-jacking, sorry!! Does the price of Tan Tan tours include lunch & cocktails?
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:11 AM

The price does include lunch. We made a stop at a local store and bought beer and kept it in the coolers on the jeeps. I think the tour guys also bought some for us. This isn't exactly a tour that would include "cocktails". Probably the closest thing to that would be the Mamajuana at the Domino Club-it's a one shot buzz!

Have fun!

Denise