Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Planning a 3 generation trip and not knowledgeable about the islands.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the early stages of planning a May or June trip for my husband and me, our 2 adult children and their spouses, and our 2 grandchildren-- pre-schooler and a will-be 14 mo. old. My only experience with the Caribbean was a trip to Aruba a few years ago.

We want to rent a villa on an island that is easy to get to from PIT, probably via USAirways. I'm thinking St. Thomas or St. John would be the most convenient, although I know St. J involves a ferry ride. I've been looking at http://gobeach.com">gobeach.com and have found a couple places that probably would work, Villa Diva and Moonlight. We'd want to be not terribly far from a nice beach and also relatively close to town for restaurants, shops, grocery store, etc., by car.

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, advice, etc.? I post a lot on the European forum but am a real newbie to this one. Thank you in advance for any help!
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 03:41 AM

Dear PIT:
I travel Erie, pa./PIT to Grand Cayman Island often:
US Air to Charlotte to Grand Cayman gets u on the island by 2:30!!, & great traveling thru Charlotte for family traveling.
Options of where to stay in Cayman very varried: from newly renovated condos on 7 Mile beach (has kitchens so families may eat-in few meals, & go out to Caymans fabulous Calypso Gerll, Grand Old House, fun seaside Sunset House, Paradise Grill...many options from very great (Lighthouse/Breakers, to relaxing Coconut Joes)...
Keep in mind villas/outer district (East End, Rum Pt.) rentals too for families fun: very island style/relaxing, but u all can always drive to town (40 min. drive) a couple days: shopping at Pure Art on South Church St. a really Caymanian experience visitors have enjoyed for over 20 yrs: charming Cayman cottage, much variety of shopping, great prices from simple little kids gofts to really fine art paintings...I am personally exhibiting there for years, so yes I love it berst!! (So do others).
Visiting Stingray City still a joy, as is fantastic reef snorkeling trips, a day on 7 Mile beach for major R/R...floating in completely clear blues off the pristine white beach...I love next to Governors Beach (Yes, the real Gov.!!)
Enjoy Cayman...
D
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:46 AM

grandmere,

I have been to St John and Grand Cayman.

I second the Grand Cayman recommendation.I love St John also but feel that Grand Cayman offers alot more activities for the group.

We stayed at www.discoverypointclub.com , this past May and it was a wonderful place to stay.

Stingray City was the absolute highlight of our trip.My kids ages 12,9 and 4 loved it.We used Captain Marvin's.

There is also a Turtle Farm,Botanical Gardens,Butterfly Farm,and Rumpoint.Lots to see and do.Georgetown is also a quaint town and is neat for walking around and shopping.

Restaurants- Pappagallo's,Deckers,The Wharf,Coconut Joe's,Chicken Chicken,and many more that are varied in price.

We rented a car at the airport.We used Thrifty rent a car.

For more information,here are some websites:
www.caymanvacations.com
www.caymanactivityguide.com

Good luck and have fun!
Christie

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, both! The Caymans do sound super, but we would like to rent a free-standing house, rather than a condo, and everything I find is part of a resort. I will continue to search, though, since this destination seems to offer everything we would want.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM

We (8 adults) are going to St. John in April and are staying at Villa Claudia-www.villaclaudia.com. Sounds like it might be what you are looking for. Don't worry about the ferry from St. Thomas to St. John, they run alot and it is only about 15 minutes.

I have been to several Caribbean islands and the Virgin Islands are my favorites, including the British Virgin Islands.

Here are a couple of other travel forums that have lots about the virgin islands--Virgin-Islands-On-Line.com, VInow.com, tripadvisor.com and www.traveltalkonline.com.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Denise
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:34 AM

The links in the above post should be

www.villaclaudia.com

Virgin-Islands-On-Line.com

VInow.com

www.traveltalkonline.com

www.tripadvisor.com

For some reason, when my post came up, the address didn't come up right.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Denise. I will call them tomorrow and see about availability. It looks lovely and sounds just like what we are looking for.