Cap Juluca - why does a room go tor $750?

Sep 16th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Yuri

Cap Juluca - why does a room go tor $750?

This is a ligit question. I know it's in St. Martin (Anguila). Beautiful beaches.
But why is Cap Juluca so expensive? I see so many posts for visiting that hotel, at $ 750? What is so special about the rooms?

Sep 16th, 2002, 05:06 AM
O.T.

Get a map and see that Anguilla is not St. Maarten, it is a neighbouring island to St. Maarten. To completely different islandsin every way.

The whole resort is special, not just the rooms, and I actually thought the room rate was more than $750/night.

Sep 16th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Lise

Yuri,
Anguilla is not St Martin. Cap Jaluca is not just a motel, it's a resort. You're paying for the location, the services, the staff, the ambiance.
It's not Motel 6. If you only want a room to sleep in when you go the the Caribbean, there are guest houses, and B&B's and American chain hotels on many islands, resorts like Cap Jaluca are for those who want and can afford a different type of experience.

Sep 16th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Nancy

Yuri,

Check out their website and you will see why Cap Juluca is so special. It is a luxury resort with superior service and food, a beach that is incredible and views of St. Martin that are breathtaking. By the way, a superior room in the low season is $325 and $420 during high season. Jr. Suites (which are quite spacious) are $500 in low season and $625 in high season. All rooms and suites are on the beach and have spectacular views. www.capjuluca.com

Sep 16th, 2002, 06:57 AM
sam

do these prices include anything besides the room? Is it an AI or do you have to pay for food and drinks on top of the room?

Sep 16th, 2002, 10:38 AM
kevin

During lower seasons like summer and fall they have packages including meals.

The phrases "true luxury resort" and "all-inclusive" virtually never belong in the same sentence.

Sep 16th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Anita

Hi Yuri. My husband and I decided to splurge and go to CJ for our honeymoon a few years ago. Here are the reasons why we thought the $545 (the rate that year during late August) for a junior suite was worth the money (and not in any particular order):

*having a beautiful stretch of beach, i.e. cristaline blue calm waters with sugary soft sand, right in front of our room
*the beach is accessible only to those at the resort or those that arrive via boat thus it's private and there are no vendors
*having our breakfast included in the price and delivered to us and set up on our terrace every morning so we could still be in our p.j.'s and enjoy our coffee, the views, the sounds of the waves
*the rooms themselves are very spacious and the bathrooms are very luxurious . . . we have 2 small bathrooms at home and when we are away we love to indulge in a nice soak or bubble bath in a tub for two, and our suite at CJ had the double tub which overlooked the beach, also it had a shower big enough for 2 (or more!!!) . . . basically we wanted something special so we didn't feel we were in a normal hotel that could be anywhere on one of our business trips, and we didn't want a place that was so average that we wished we were in our own bed at home
*we wanted to be able to sun in the buff in private which we could do on our private rooftop deck accessible only via our terrace
*we wanted immediate access to excellent cuisine and CJ has that
*we wanted to be able to have service at the beach without having to get up and stand in a line, CJ has beach service where all you need to do is pull down a flag on your umbrella and viola, you have service. . . the staff there really anticipated our needs and was always trying to make our stay memorable
*we didn't want to be somewhere that attracts economy travellers since that usually means folks can afford to bring their children, and while we love kids, we didn't want to be overrun with the little darlings on our honeymoon, and while there were children there, it was no Camp Hyatt
*we wanted a place that offered a place to gather at night to listen to music and look at the stars, vs a place that offered a disco with karaoke and a bunch of drunken revelers (we do that too sometimes ;-), just wasn't what we wanted on this trip)
*and we wanted all of the above, PLUS we wanted to be on an island that is not impacted by the cruise industry, i.e. major shifts in island population within hours with hundreds of shops that sell t-shirts, etc.

As you can see, there were a lot of different things that we wanted out of our honeymoon spot and most places can't provide all that. The fact that CJ can deliver ALL of that warrants the price tag, IMHO. Can we afford to do a trip like that every year? No. Have we returned to CJ, yes.

Sep 16th, 2002, 05:17 PM
penny

Anita, nice reasons, although CJ's beach is open to all! There is even a parking lot over by Cove Bay-Pimms. Chairs and umbrellas are for guests only. It is a wonderful spot!

Sep 16th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Yuri

Anita: What a warm, honest reply. Exactly what I was hoping for. I truly apprecite the effort put into your answer. I hope this example puts everyone else to shame. It's well worth the splurge and it does seem quite luxurious. No wonder it's a favorite with honeymooners.
Thanks for sharing.

Sep 16th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Poptart

To be fair, Yuri, the way you asked the question, you left yourself "wide open".
Many people on this forum are travelers and it does get a little wearing to get questions from people who have not done any research at all. These people are "lazy tourists". I think this forum is to find information you can't easily find in a quide book.

When you stated that Cap Juluca was on St. Martin, you were mis-perceived.

And now for your question: The rooms are expensive because people are willing to pay that price. They must be doing something right.
I have been to Anguilla many times, but have never had the desire( or the disposable income!) to stay at Cap Juluca. Anguilla if off the beaten path enough that you are not bothered by many tourists, noisy children, etc. I have never been approached by vendors on the beach. I stay in economical, low key hotels and have a great time.

Cap Juluca is in every guide book. Check out the description and their website, if they have one, and see if they have what you are looking for in a vacation, and if you are willing to pay a lot of money to have what they are offering, go for it.

Sep 16th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Anita

I'm glad my post helped Yuri. I hope that you can go to CJ at some point and experience it for yourself. However, you still might come back and say I'm out of my mind and you can't believe how much it cost. Everyone has a different idea of what an experience is worth.

Then again, a trip could be tarnished to a degree by having expectations that are unrealistic based on the price point of the place. We did the whatever-night-it-was barbeque at the beach restaurant and it was fairly lousy, particularly given the price per person. Now if I had a bug up my rear re. the price to begin with, that could have been a starting point to a small list of nitpicky things that weren't absolutely 100% perfect. Sometimes I read reviews of CJ that aren't all that flattering and I wonder if the high cost created unrealistic expectations, i.e. "I had to wait 20 minutes to get a drink one day when I was on the beach. Harumph! This place isn't all that". Or, you might wind up in a room where you have absurdly noisy neighbors. Your idea of perfection is blown, and darn it, you're now $545 in the hole.

This is a HUGE generalization (and I'm already ducking), but I think that Americans (and I'm one) have standards that are very high when we spend our vacation dollars (as compared to say a lot of the British travelers) because we get so little vacation time that if we have an experience that isn't perfect, we're p.o'd because we know there goes half or maybe a third of our allowed PTO time at work. Just one possibility.

o.k., now I'm just completely rambling. Sorry.

Penny, I hadn't even considered day-trippers using that parking lot to access the beach. But anyway, I was thinking more along the lines of being on a 7-mile stretch of beach a la Grand Cayman where folks just stroll on by all throughout the day. You gave me a good idea though . . . my DH and I will check into Carimar and have a day at the CJ beach!

Sep 17th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Yuri

Anita, Poptart, thanks for the feedback.
Let me explain myself a little better. I've been to St. Maarten-Dutch (St.Martin-French) 3 times, one of them visited Anguila-British.
We bathed in a beautiful beach at Shoal Bay (as I recall). We also bathed at the Cap Juluca beach, I even have some matchbooks the waiters at the restaurant gave us, as souvenires. It was the low season and everything pretty much closed and solitary (September).
Anyway, my question was legitimate since I asked about "what is so special about the rooms?".
We paid $ 250/nite in Venice for a canal view room at St.Marks Square, which I thought was well worth the splurge. I was really trying to find a personal point of view, of why if it was so expensive, it was still so popular.
Thanks

Sep 17th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Yuri

Sorry, forgot to add that we took the ferry and hired a cabbie to take us to all the nice beaches in Anguila. We thought Anguila was very arid and the people didn't look very prosperous.
Excuse me if I don't have perfect spelling, since English is not my native tongue.

Sep 17th, 2002, 06:53 AM
tourist

Yuri, what is your native tongue/background? IMHO you sound very judgemental. Did you think the people should look prosperous because many people are willing and intelligent enough to know a first rate resort when they se one? the "people" are some of the best, they work hard, are proud, love their families and very Godly. I love Anguilla, period.

Sep 17th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Yuri

It's ok, I liked Anguila too. It was just an observation. Maybe because it was the low season and there wasn't a lot of people it looked like that to me. Nobody is saying that they aren't hard working people, on the contrary. I think that people with natural resources such as Anguila has, who are willing to work hard at the tourist business, and give good service, are very intelligent. You get the $$$ and a repeat customer. I was just pointing out what I saw on that one and only day. Even though they are so close, it was very different from St.Maarten, and they tell me, very different from St. Barth.

Sep 17th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Yuri-diculous

Yuri,

You took a ferry from St. Martin to Anguilla and hired a cab to take you around the beaches of Anguilla, right??

You travelled to a different island by boat,visited a different nation, saw a completely different venu, and you did not know that one was not the other??

UH, I don't care what part of the world your're from, but stupid is as stupid does!

Sep 17th, 2002, 01:14 PM
MLCS

I chose CJ from a description in the guide books and I was not at all disappointed. CJ is superb! Rooms are spacious, comfortable. Bathrooms are immense with great showers (either indoor or outdoor) and the view is to die for. service was impeccable. while I cannot afford to go back every year, it's worth it to me to save and go back again soon.

Sep 18th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Jamaica

hey mon...
$750 be big money. do dey scratch yer bak and give breakfast in bed?