AA did it again!!

Sep 18th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Rudy

AA did it again!!

Booked my flight from JFK to AXA, with the conection at SJU. Now they moved up the flight time to 8:50 am. The plane lands in SJU at 1:38 we have to catch the connection to AXA at 2:25! Will we and our checked baggage make the flight to AXA? Is there enough time?
When we originally booked the flight it was 25 minutes earlier, why do they do this??

Sep 18th, 2002, 10:32 AM
xxx

Its a change in take off slots that causes reschedules. It can also be a change of plane, change of route or just airline perogative. Its very frustrating. We lost 2 days of our honeymoon because of that reason.
Are you travelling with the same airline all the way? If so you should be able to check it straight through to your final destination. It makes life so much easier as you won't need to check in again at SJU. Just get off, clear security and go straight through to the departures.

Check with your TA just to be sure.

Good Luck

Sep 18th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Ernest

Hi!

We just returned from our honeymoon and we took AA from STT to JFK with a transfer to BOS. Let me begin by saying that we booked this trip months in advance and the flight times changed by up to 20min each time we checked. I talked to several folks from AA. my travel agent and the airport. The problem isn't directly with AA. Becuase of decreased rideship aver the past year, the FAA and the airlimes have been shuffling flights a little. In fact on our way back we just made our connecting flight from JFK to BOS thanks to a very curteous and understanding AA gate agent (in NY of all places!). Needless to say out bags didn't make the flight, but without our request AA rushed them to the next flight which landed no more than 30 minutes after ours. An AA agent brought them to us in the AA lounge as we waited. So go easy on flight time changes, it is not entirely the airlines fault. Plan accordingly and leave yourself time between flights.

Sep 18th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Cece

We live in the BVI so whenever we travel out to/from the US, we invariably use San Juan as the connection point(sometimes St Thomas) and invariably there is that short layover in SJU going and coming when you swear there won't be enough time to make the flight let alone the luggage making it. I have to say though that 9 times out of 10, we have had no problems - luggage has arrived with us going and coming back and I do that Tortola/San Juan/Miami return or /Tortola/San Juan/JFK/ return route often enough - they obviously have some sort of almost fool proof system for making sure that the intransit luggage makes the connecting flight. On the AA Eagle flights that leave SJU for the islands, you can look on the luggage carts as they are loading the planes to see if your bags are there because quite often they are loading the luggage on as you are boarding - so that is one way for a bit of peace of mind.

Sep 18th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Rudy

Unfortunately, we do not have any control over in between flight time. There is only 1 flight that leaves San Juan to Anguilla (that's the 2:25 flight). We are flying American all the way thru. I was told that you need at least 1 hour for your checked baggage to make the connecting flight, is that true???

Sep 18th, 2002, 10:59 AM
lawren

Rudy, It is not only AA but I've had it happen on USAir and United as well. The earlier you buy your tickets the more times they change your flights.

I wouldn't get too excited unless the transfer time dropped below 45 minutes, especially since you are checked thru on AA.

Chill. Depending on when your flying the flight times could change again! Mine have changed twice since I bought them and I'm not leaving for another 2 months.

Sep 18th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Cece

If your flight lands at 1.38pm and your connection is at 2.25pm (and your JFK/SJU connection is on time), based on my experience you will certainly make the flight (at worst, your arrival gate will be a 10 minute walk from your departure gate at SJU) and your luggage with also likely make the flight AS LONG AS IT HAS BEEN CHECKED STRAIGHT THROUGH FROM JFK TO AXA - you have to make sure of that when you check in! Sometime ago, the agent at JFK, put the wrong tags on my bags and they ended up in Antigua instead of the BVI. Also, there has to be at least one more flight after your 2:25 pm going into AXA from SJU - so if by some chance your bags do not make the connection with you, AA will put them on the next flight same day out (and deliver them to your hotel).

Sep 18th, 2002, 12:28 PM
xxx

Ernest -- -what does that mean "in NY of all places?"

Sep 18th, 2002, 12:37 PM
answering

He obviously means that he is not used to encountering understanding gate agents in NY - there may be some truth to that

Sep 18th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Ernest

XXX - It was a joke. I meant no harm to anybody and it was not done to be hurtful. I was being sarchastic and feeding into the stereotype that New Yorkers (the city) are rude. Believe me, I am from Boston and the folks here have no less of a reputation. I apologize if I hurt anyone's fragile feelings.

Sep 18th, 2002, 01:15 PM
travelpro

30 minutes in the minimum time in SJU for baggage transfer. You have plenty of time to transfer IF the flight lands on time in SJU. Bags are checked through to AXA but any time traveling through SJU best to have necessities and bathing suits in carry on.

Sep 18th, 2002, 01:28 PM
cdt

We've had this sort of problem too.

When you book a flight, there is a minimum acceptable connection time - maybe 45 minutes? I think this depends on whether it's a domestic or international flight.

If schedule changes reduce your time between flights to less than the minimum, I believe the airline will change your tickets to an entirely new schedule, without change fees, even if you bought nonrefundable tickets.

If the revised schedule still gives you more than the minimum, I wouldn't worry about it. After all, you could have 3 hours between flights and not make it, if there was a major delay. And there are other flights to AXA, although they may not be direct or at a decent hour.

Sep 18th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Rudy

I was just looking at that. There are 2 flights out of SJU to AXA one at 2:25 and the other at 10:00 pm. I had a feeling I should have taken the earlier flight (7:10) from JFK to SJU, but we did not want to wait in San Juan airport for 2 1/2 hours. Since I am not actualy ticketed yet, and booked through a TA can I still get the earlier flight without a penalty? Or do you think we should keep what we have. Both flights are pretty empty, espically the 7:10.

Thanks for your help, it's an expensive vacation and if I can prevent a pain in the ass it would be great!

Sep 18th, 2002, 01:57 PM
cdt

Ask your TA if you can switch without cost, and if so, do it. Better safe than sorry.

I always try to minimize the chance of a missed connection on my way TO the Caribbean, even if I have to get up really early. Coming back, who cares?

Sep 18th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Cece

I think it is your call Rudy. As I said before, if your 8:50 flight is on time, then you will have no problem making your connection. However there is no guarantee of that. So, if you can switch without penalty then I would advise you to do it, that way you have all the time in the world to get your connection, even with a short delay. I must advise you that the SJU airport is not the best airport to be stuck in for a 2.5 hour layover - I like to zip in and zip the hell out! Very few shops of interest to browse in, no decent restuarants, very mediocre food and everything is expensive. But you seem anxious about making your connection with your luggage so err on the side of caution and take the 7:10 flight.

Sep 18th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Rudy

Thank you everyone. I called AA and changed our flight to 7:10. AA was very accommodating and did not charge us anything to do this - very nice. Theres now plenty of time and its the first flight out in the AM, always a plus! Thanks again for all of your very helpful input