Reload this Page >

Connecting Flights in San Juan to Anguilla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Al

Has anyone recently made connecting flights in San Juan from the U.S. (USAirways) to Anguilla (via American Eagle). USAirways arrivals are at Terminal B and American Eagle's departures are at Terminal D.<BR>Because of a change in flight times by USAir I have only 70 minutes to make connections in San Juan. <BR>I'm not sure if there is an inside walkway connection from Terminal B to Terminal D that avoids having to go through security at the main terminal. The luggage will be checked through to Anguilla so it does not have to be claimed and rechecked. <BR>My fear is that there is not enough time to be at the AA-Eagle gate 30 minutes before departure.<BR>Any recent experiences that you've experienced would be helpful because I'm not aware of the procedures since 9-11 at SJU airport. <BR><BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Julia

Are you sure your luggage will be checked thru? I thought if you fly the same carrier all the way through, ie American then to American Eagle your luggage is checked thru. Since you are flying USAir to SJU then American Eagle to AXA I would think your bags have to be claimed and rechecked - I maybe wrong, but I would double check.<BR>As a rule, you need a minimum of 30 minutes for your bags to make another flight. I hope you have the first flight out, if there is a problem (delayed take off time or arrival time) you are really cutting it close!<BR>Can you cancel your USAir tickets and get on an American Airlines flight. It may be worth it for you since you sound kind of stressed out about it. Not a good way to start a vacation!<BR><BR>do a search on Google.com type in San Juan Airport - click on the SJU website there is a terminal map, maybe it has the info you need. <BR><BR>I can only tell you of my experience in all airports since 9-11. I was pulled into security and was nearly strip searched. All my bags were gone thru,All my lipsticks opened, my shoes removed and had to unzip my pants! For no apparent reason. If you knew what I look like, you would not belive it. I was wearing a white t shirt, black linen pants and sandals with tiny heels! I do not believe in racial profiling but c'omon! My point is you never know now a days what will happen at the airports all over .<BR>I am just the type of person that likes to leave a lot of time and not to take chances with airlines/airports.<BR>I would also go to AA.com and see if you can get another flight on American Airlines. I believe there is only 2 flights per day from SJU to AXA, one early afternoon (2 ish) and the other late at night(10 ish)<BR>Good luck!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Lorraine

My mom and I have been to SJU 3 times since 9/11 and all three times we have both gotten searched at the security checkpoint and at the gate.<BR>Normally, airlines do not check through baggage to the final destination unless you are flying all the way on the same airline.<BR>If you cannot change your ticket, I would make sure that on your US Air flight, you are as close to the front of the plane as possible-maybe explain your situation to the flight attendant. She may move you to open seat up front for landing only.<BR>Also, what day and time of day are you arriving in San Juan? That would affect your timing as well.<BR><BR>American Eagle is at the way far end of the American Terminal, even if you take American flights, you have to walk sometimes if you are at the higher-number gates. <BR><BR>You may want to check and see if there is a later flight to Anguilla on AE and see how full that flight is, incase you miss your connection.<BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Al

Lorraine<BR>Did you make connections in SJU from a (non American Airline)flight to an AA-Eagle flight and transfer from one terminal to another?.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 10:11 AM
xxx

You should be okay IF the flights are on time but it will be tight. Go immediately to the main terminal since you need to check in 30 minutes before the flight. USAir does check bags through to AEagle. Instead of worrying you could change to a later flight to St. Martin and ferry over instead of waiting until the 10pm flight to Anguilla but guessing that AA will charge you to do that. Take water, snacks and overnite things in your carryon

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Al

I've confirmed with USAir on several occasions and personally talked with a main gate USAirways represenatative at our originating airport. Each time they have told me that the bags are checked through to Anguilla and do not have to be claimed in SJU even though I'm connection to AA Eagle.<BR>I've been looking for responses on this forum from those who have actually experienced this, but I am only getting opinions and "I thought" or "it was my understanding" etc. <BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Karen

Al<BR>Will you please stop, this is the second forum that I have seen your posted question. People are trying to help you with their experiences, and you are being critical to their answers. One cannot predict what will happen with only a 70 minute connection time. If all goes well you will be fine. If it does not you are f****d! OK, theres your answer, now please leave us all alone as my crystal ball is out of commission today I cannot tell you exactly what will happen.<BR><BR>Instead of all these stupid posts on every caribbean forum, you should have either used a travel agent or researched before buying your airline tickets.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Lorraine

No, we flew American from JFK all times.<BR>Our flights were mostly in the Early Morning and we arrived on-time or early into San Juan. <BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Al

Karen<BR>Thanks for your help both here and on the other forum. I did my research, used a TA and I also booked directly with USAir (not online as you assumed). <BR>The problem was created when USAir changed their arrival time into SJU by almost 45 minutes later than the original booking, creating a 70 minute window from almost a two hour window. This was done 1 month after tickets were issued.<BR>Alot of the responses that I was getting were opinions or assumptions rather than actual experiences. <BR>I used two forums to pose my question in hopes that I would actually get some good responses of real experiences not assumptions on what would or could happen.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Karen

Then change your flight to an earlier one. That happened to me, when I called American they not only did not charge me for the flight change but upgraded me to first class. My original flight was changed and did not give us enough time - 1 hour- to get to our connecting flight to Anguilla (via Am. Eagle) Now we have over 2.5 hours to make the connection, well worth the 10 minute phone call. There is no answer to your question,as the day cannot be predicted as to how things will go(weather, air traffic, security etc..) there is no answer to your question. You must take care of this on your own, no matter what you decide to do as you will not find the answer here.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:52 PM
steve

Al-<BR>Assuming your flight is on time, you shouldn't have a problem since your baggage is checked all the way through. There are internal walkways connecting the terminals. Having said that, I would go immediately to the AA Eagle gate as soon as my flight arrives. Eagle likes to start boarding about 30 minutes ahead of time. If you go outside into the main lobby you may get delayed at security trying to get back into the concourse. By the way, SJU has the worst airport food in the world!!