VERY short layover - check luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're traveling through O'Hare to Logan Airport. We arrive O'Hare at 6:00 p.m., and catch the connecting flight at 6:37 p.m (gets to Logan at 10:00).

Is is smarter to carry on luggage (good rolling piece), and run with it to next flight, or better to check through?? Is there a danger, checked luggage won't make connecting flight? Or more danger WE will miss flight and luggage will go on without us? We will be in row 16.
We aren't staying in Boston, but traveling the following day to Maine.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:37 AM

That doesn't even sound like a legal connection (37 minutes?).

I'd probably be more concerned about missing the flight altogether - especially if there's much distance between your arrival gate and your departure gate, or if there is anything that delays the inbound flight even a little bit.

It sounds to me like you should be concerned both for you and your luggage making the connection.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:52 AM

UA's minimum ORD domestic-domestic connection time is :29.

Not sure about AA.

Whether it's wise to do so or not is another matter.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:41 PM

AA is also :29 minutes...

<i>ORD DD- <b>.29</b>( 2) DI- .35( 3) ID-1.10( 4) II-1.30</i>

EXCEPT:

<i>Equip Widebody -&gt; All = .40; All -&gt; Eagle = 1.00;</i>

so all widebodiy pane to any other plane - 40 minutes (Boeings 767 and 777)

and any AA flight to any Eagle flight - 1 hour.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Cassandra

Can you run as fast with your luggage as you can without it? ;-)

A good example of a time to identify yourself to the FA when you first board and ask her help in getting you off the plane first -- also worth asking for help contacting the ground at ORD if still in the air and know you won't land or make it to the gate on time.

Will be very curious to know if you make it!

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:14 PM

I hate to throw another variable at you, however......depending on the size of the luggage in question and how much has been stowed already by other passengers that board the second flight before you do, you may not have room in the overheads for your bag when you do reach the plane!

I'd keep my &quot;essentials&quot; in a small carry on that will fit under the seat and is easy to run with and check the rest. If it misses the flight the airline has to get it to you eventually and you can live off your &quot;essentials&quot; for 24 hours if need be.

Odds are decent that the luggage will make the plane of you do.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:21 PM

ORD-BOS must be this AA flight:

Flight: 868 Aircraft: McDonnell Douglas MD-83 (Jet)
Departing: mm/dd at 6:37P Chicago OHare Intl Apt (ORD)
Arriving: mm/dd at 10:00P Boston Logan Intl Apt (BOS)
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Glad to see this post. I also have to catch a connecting flight (in Phoenix) and have only 31 minutes (and 2 kids in tow!).
I'm hoping for the best. At least I'll be on my way home from a trip and don't have to worry too much about my luggage.
I don't know where we are sitting on our flight, but I do plan to at least let the FA know that we are worried about making our connection and see if she/he can help out.

Hope all goes smoothly for you!
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:13 PM

i'll be traveling song airlines sfo-jfk connecting to south africa airlines with a 1 hour 40 minute lay over at jfk. will be in johannisburg 1 night then off to the bush with only small planes for transport. if i check my bag in sfo and the plane is late taking off, how will they get my bag to me in the jungles of zambia? i'll have one small 24&quot; duffel and 1 backpack will they let me carry on both as it will be damn near impossible to get my luggage to me?
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, everyone. We took all our luggage on board...the plane arrived 30 minutes early, but after waiting for a gate, we were 15 minutes late, giving us only 15 minutes to get to the next plane. The FA was less than helpful - when we boarded, I asked her if she could do anything to help us, and her response was that it was to soon for me to start panicking. But our connecting flight was also delayed, so we made it easily. Checked through our luggage on return trip, and my boyfriend's bag was temporarily lost.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Cassandra

Thanks for updating us. Your story sounds to me pretty much the story of air travel in general nowadays. Hit and miss on arrivals and departures, lousy service. Fie on all their houses!