Cap Juluca, 4 Seasons Nevis, St. Peter's... perfect honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which of these (or any other rec's) do you feel is best for a romantic 6 night honeymoon? Looking for beautiful scenery, nice beach pool area, wonderful service, nice ambience, but without ever feeling too formal or stuffy?
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:47 AM

St Peters?

Do you mean St Barts or Peter Island? (Or something else?)

I've stayed at both FS Nevis and Cap Juluca. For what you are looking for, I'd select Cap Juluca. Anguilla has much nicer beaches and CJ has a quiet understated luxury that the guests at FS make it hard to obtain. (Much more "nouveau riche" guests.)

Cap is one of the few consistently top-rated resorts that I've been to that I would return to in a minute. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing any negative posts re it, or having a single bad thing to say about it myself.

The scenery is gorgeous on Nevis, but the beaches there don't begin to compare, and there is not nearly the choice of dining there is on Anguilla.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:00 AM

I would agree with Diana about the beaches of Anguilla, Cap Juluca's beach being among the best. However, if you are looking for a beautiful pool and lush surroundings, CJ/Anguilla may not be what you have in your mind's eye.

I have not been to Nevis, but from all that I have read, it may be more of the lush feeling that you want.

Four Seasons resorts never disappoint, in terms of service, rooms and amenities.

Diana's comment about the "nouveau riche" is appalling to me. *Riche* is *riche* and there is nothing "noveau" about spending for pleasure.

Your honeymoon should be one of the most special occasions in your life !

I'm sure that many folks will respond to your question on this forum.

Read and research...and then plan your honeymoon with your *old* money or your *noveau* money( the kind you get in the envelopes at the reception ;-) )....and have a memorable time.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Sara,

I think you might be inquiring about Peter Island. I would suggest that you do a search here on Fodors, but a wonderful report will be found at www.scubamom.com Lynn McKinney is "Scuba Mom" and she gives GREAT details !

Just hoping to broaden your horizons
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Marion is right in that Nevis is very lush and scenic, and the pool at the FS is very nice, but we go to Nevis on occasion, and I would not stay at the FS again because of the guests.

(By the way, if you do a search on this property, you will find others than I who were left with the same impression.)

Sorry you found my comment "appalling" Marion, but my idea of a relaxing day by the pool is not having to listen every single time to guests trying to outdo each other blathering on about what they drive, do, where they live, etc. To me, there is a big difference between rich and nouveau riche, and I was giving Sara the information so that she could use it as she wished.

This behavior was rampant at FS, and totally turned me off to the place. I've been to many luxury properties in Mexico and the Caribbean and found that problem only at FS Nevis.

Also, we were quite disappointed in the quality of the food for the cost, though I've heard the chef has been replaced since we were last there.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM

If you are indeed inquiring about Peter Island, I would say it fits well with what you're looking for. It's a beautiful, lush island and Deadman's beach (the main beach, there are several others) is a gorgeous cove beach. It's not stuffy or formal at all.

I can understand Diana's comment regarding FS. You do get quite a different atmosphere and clientele at the FS or Ritz properties in the Caribbean than you do at the smaller, non-chain resorts. I think their size also makes it difficult to achieve what Diana termed "quiet understated luxury".
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Sara had narrowed her choices for us. She had done her research and asked for guidance.

Had she asked for resorts with a more natural, Caribbean feel the board would be filled with responses.

I just find it hard to believe that FS/Nevis is SO different than any other *upscale/Americanized* resort.

Cap Juluca may have a different *feel*....but the conversation about the job, the car, and *where else* you've been seen is very much the same.

Sweeping generalizations should be avoided.

My money is almost as OLD as I am...but it still provides choices.

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Au contraire Marion.

What is to be avoided is kvetching about other people's impressions and opinions, and giving your "ideas" about places you've never even been.

Sara has obviously NOT made any final decisions as she has asked for input on two resorts and any others we might think she would like based on the information she provided.

I personally found Cap to be what she has asked for, and FS Nevis not to be. Simply my opinion and impressions. That's all that was asked for, and that's all I've provided.

This board is all about opinions and information, and you as a new poster might want to keep that in mind and be respectful of what others have to say - even when you may not agree with it...
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:39 AM

I have to agree with Marion about the clientel issue. There's a lot of overlap between people who go to the FS Nevis and those found at CJ.
While I won't discount Diana's negative experience (the same type of negative comments are commonly reported by visitors of the FS Maui for some reason), I think you can find the types of problems she reports at any upscale resort.
I've overheard some appalling conversations at nice resort restaurants, tried to ignore loud cell phone users at the pool or in restaurants, and such. But I don't think that the FS Nevis attracts these types of people more than Sandy Lane in Barbados or Ocean Club Paradise Island, etc.
I will say that I found CJ to be more casually elegant than many other higher end resorts I've been to, which was a big plus. The spread out room arrangement (no one uses the pool) and long beach lends itself to a more peaceful environment I think.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 12:59 PM

We did not have any problems with conversations of other guests at the FS Nevis. In fact, we thought it was beautiful and everything was nearly perfect. The mountain on Nevis distinguishes it from other Caribbean Islands, as does the seondary rain forest with its rich history.

We did not try to meet people at the FS Nevis. Hence, we didn't have anyone try to impress us with their money. But we did not find it stuffy at all.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Hi Sara. My husband and I stayed at Four Seasons Nevis for 12 days in November. It was our first trip to Nevis. The resort was lovely and the service outstanding, just as you would expect from a Four Seasons. We also found the food to be quite good and the beach restaurant (can't remember the name) not too outrageously expensive. (And besides, Sunshine's is just down the beach.) Our meal at their high end dining room was one of the best meals we had on the island. My husband and I are most definitely beach people but we found ourselves spending most of our time at the pool. We just didn't find the beach to be that appealing. The sand is a bit coarse and since Nevis is a volcanic island the shore drops off relatively quickly so you don't get that beautiful turquoise water that most Caribbean islands have. The water appears to be a darker blue.

(Nouveau riche = made your own money.) We didn't overhear any conversations where the guests tried to one-up the other. In fact, most quests kept to themselves other than the "good morning, nice day" comments. One thing that did strike me as different about the 4 Seasons guests is that most of them didn't seem to leave the property. We like trying different restaurants and seeing the island so we always rent a car when we visit the Caribbean. You probably don't need one the entire visit to Nevis but you should get out and explore. It's a pretty and lush island.

The Four Seasons is a relatively large property but they do a great job of making your visit special.

I haven't stayed at Cap Juluca but we've been to Anguilla a couple of times and we've eaten at Cap a few times. The beach is beautiful and the Cap property seems very nice as well. The restaurant service has always been outstanding. I suspect the resorts attract the same type of clientele.

Personally, I love Anguilla. The beaches are great, the restaurants some of the best in the Caribbean and the people are friendly. There is also a little more to do on Anguilla than on Nevis, although neither is a shopping mecca (a quick ferry trip to St. Martin will take care of that). I just like the feel of Anguilla. Be aware, however, that Anguilla does not fit the traditional view of beautiful scenery. It's flat and scrubby, but oh, those beaches!

I can't comment on Peter Island as I've never been.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time wherever you choose. And congratulations!