Trapped at an all-inclusive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! Thinking of going to Sandals WhiteHouse in Jamaica. Never been to an all-inclusive. Will we feel trapped? I love museums and venturing out of the property, but have heard of security issues in Jamaica.
Any info is appreciated!!
THanks,
Jen
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Jamr, welcome to Fodors

try:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...mp;keyword=309

It takes some reading but it will either quell your doubts or make you choose another island.

We went to Negril (Idle Awhile) in April and then to Ocho Rios (Jamaica Inn)and really enjoyed both places.

Where are you travelling from?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

We are coming from Cleveland. I love to cruise, as you can see a lot in a few days. This would be the opposite.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Oh, it certainly will!

Do you have any specific questions. I'm sure we can answer them.

As to safety - It's just common sense.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:53 AM

Sandals Whitehouse, tho not to every traveller's taste, is a huge, self-contained property on Jamaica's South Coast. There's nothing within walking distance nor museums in area. Tho Sandals will try to get you to use their private drivers/guides, would suggest you contact Carolyn Barrett at www.barrettadventures who'se HQ'ed in summer/fall 15 min.away in Belmont. She'd be an ideal off-property guide, more knowledgeable, offbeat and less pricey than Sandals drivers. Pelican Bar/Black River, horseback riding at Paradise Park where the U of Florida is doing Taino archaeological digs, YS or Mayfields Falls ... there's lots within 60 min. to see and do. Security since there's nowhere to walk to is not a problem/check out the security men sleeping in the trees at night, away from the crocodile, btw...
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Whitehouse is Jamaica's largest fishing port/it's about 15 min.drive from where you'll be and worth a stop en route to say, Black River. The open-air market in Whitehouse, just off the main at harbourside, is a good one to explore:clean, reasonably-priced, friendly, safe, with no higglers to pester you. A ramshackle little building down at harborside called Jimmy's serves good fish. Whitehouse can lay claim to being the audition
town for 'dancehall gal' -- where clubowners island-wide come to select
'talent' -- but that's not exactly a tourist attraction. Have Carolyn set up a private tour of ORISTANO HOUSE, the oldest Spanish 17th cen.house on island near Bluefields,where an eccentric but very good painter from England lives and works.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:47 AM

You are NEVER trapped at a all inclusive anywhere. You are always free to come and go as you please.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Awsome resort...spent 2 weeks there whenit first opened and loved it.NO!!!! you will not feel trapped in this resort. It is huge and very spred out. The room are all oceanview and the pools are wonderful. We were in the Dutch village second floor which I feel was the best. They have 3 very large pools and the food was very good ,lots of choices.The pastry shop late in the evening was the best. To have a nice cup of coffee or tea and a pastry or ice cream at around 10:00 sitting by the ocean was great. The Staff is super at this resort,we have been to almost all of the Sandals Properties and this resort is one of the best....#1
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:24 PM

I would only stay at an all-inclusive in Jamaica. Jamaica is beautiful but not the safest island. .
An all inclusive is relaxing in much the same way as a cruise... Go out on group tours to see theisland
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 07:51 PM

I have done AI and non AI in Jamaica and while there are valid reasons to do AI, I don't believe safety is one of them. I have always felt very safe - safer than in most huge U.S cities - in Jamaica. Perhaps you would be happier with a villa in a non touristy area. You can arrange for a driver and most have cooks so the food will be fresh and local.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:34 AM

On www.tripadvisor.com, there's an interesting review of Sandals Whitehouse addressing just this concern. Mind you, it's under the
'WORST REVIEWS' section == and the poster was most discomforted by the untidy condition of the pool tables and foosball table...