Sandals Resorts

Old May 26th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandals Resorts

Does anyone know how far Dunns River or Ochos Rios is from the airport? I know Jamaica has 2 airports, Montego Bay and Kingston. Is Dunns River closer to one?
I am looking to stay at a Sandals in Jamaica for my 10th anniversary. We are only going for 4 nights so I don't want to spend too much time travelling.
Thanks for your help.
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:07 AM

Hi there

Sandals DR and Sandals OR are both a good 3 hours from either airport. Although distances aren't huge, the roads are terrible.

Your only choices if you don't want to spend ages travelling, are the ones by the airport - Royal Caribbean, Montego Bay and Sandals Inn. I can't really recommend any of them, having stayed at all the Sandals in Jamaica (I'm a travel agent). The noise from the airport is horrendous and the resorts/beaches just weren't that nice in my opinion.

Dunns River has a nicer hotel, but the beach still isn't wonderful. Nice outing to Dunns River Falls. Sandals Ocho Rios is not as posh as the others but has lovely gardens. Beach okay.

In my opinion, the best Sandals on the Island is Sandals Negril. You'd be looking at about 2 hours from Montego Bay airport (MBJ). It is gorgeous and has the most wonderful white sandy beach, nice restaurants and lots of palm trees. It's also a Sandals signature resort, with a high rating and a spa. The resort of Negril remains prettier than the others due to the local ruling that you cannot build higher than the tallest palm tree. No high rise hotels there!

Need any more advice, just shout. Hope you have a lovely time whatever you decide to do!

Rachel
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. What about the Sandals in Bahamas?
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:28 AM

If you're thinking Sandals, you might check out the new Sandals Whitehouse, only 1.5 hours drive from MoBay on the South Coast of Jamaica -- with YS Falls,
Pelican Bar, Black River within about
30 min.for interesting excursions.
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:07 PM

I think Sandals Whitehouse is WAY better than Sandals Negril. Sandals Negril is small, nice beach but very narrow. I was not that impressed with their restaurants, I don't know how they keep their Signature rating. Whitehouse is brand new (less than a year old) and even at 100% full, you never get that full resort feeling. The beach is unbelievable, all rooms have a view of the ocean (partial to full) and lots of restaurant choices. Go to tripadvisor.com to read the reviews.