Search

Caneel or Maroma

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caneel or Maroma

Hi -

Trying to decide between Caneel Bay (St. John) or Maroma Hotel (Playa del Carmen) for our November honeymoon. They both look to have gorgeous beaches, some activities, nice rooms (although the Maroma rooms seem a little nicer from what I hear), and access to "town" for dinners. We're not big bar people, so nightlife beyond maybe dinner and some music is not a big deal to us. The price between the two places doesn't seem that different, so that's not the deciding factor.

Doesn't seem like we could go wrong with either place, but would like your opinions please. Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 10:43 PM

I have had no experience with Maroma, but I love Caneel. Because of the expansiveness of its beautiful grounds, with its rooms spread about in various locations, along with its gorgeous white sand beaches and multi-blue hue crystal calm waters, it is a very romantic location and a perfect honeymoon spot. The beaches and grounds are private and uncrowded with loungechairs and hammocks spread out. They are not in row upon row formations.

There is three restaurants with very good food and small different Caribbean bands play music nightly by an intimate torchlit dancefloor.

The resort offers a variety of activities and daytrips. In addition, the island of St. John is beautiful and natural. Close by Cruz Bay is a small safely walkable town that offers uncrowded shopping and other dining opportunities.

Hope this helps. Best wishes to you both.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Caneel.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Caneel is wonderful. HOWEVER: we found the food at Caneel mediocre at best. We keep returning because of the great snorkeling, handsome grounds, and fine beaches. The food is expensive and not good. And there are never all 3 restaurants open at the same time (and one is just a snack sort of thing anyway). There are a number of good restaurants in the (funky) town-- but be sure you understand that you can't walk into town from Caneel. Cabs are always available, however-- and they don't cost much. The rooms at Caneel aren't very big or very terrific-- but they're nice enough. The price is so high at that resort because of the really quite terrific grounds. By the way, there's a nice "tea" every afternoon (complimentary)-- with good fresh baked pastries, etc. We love the place-- but the food (esp at dinner) is rather poor. The most expensive restaurant is ok-- but it's quite expensive. And the lunch buffets are pretty good-- but also quite expensive. If money is no objsect, yo'll probably be fine with the food at Caneel. (Do try some of the other restaurants though) Have fun-- and congratulations!
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Hi JB,
Congratulations to you! I have not been to Caneel but many years ago I was on St John for one day for snorkeling and a jeep trip. Water was very nice. Having said that I want to tell you about Maroma. Just returned on Labor Day and we had been there before this past Feb. My husband and I really like it there. The grounds are very nice. Our room was premier ocean view and we liked it (stayed in same room both times). The food was very good. The water was beautiful and more calm this trip than in Feb. However, the weather this trip was hot. The staff were attentive. The restaurant staff is exceptional. We plan to go back soon. We stayed the whole time on the resort our first trip. The spa is great. This last trip we went to Chichen Itza before going to Maroma. Maroma is not far from Tulum and there are other things to do if you are interested. Maroma is a place to relax and enjoy. I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon which ever you choose. Best wishes!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:02 AM

I am clearly in the minority but I didn't really like Caneel. It was too resorty for my taste. The rooms are nothing spectacular. Buffet meals aren't my idea of a romantic time. And it is expensive for what you get. The town on St. John is OK. If you are looking for a unique, romantic experience I don't think Caneel is the place. I haven't been to Maroma (it looks nice). A rented villa on St. Barts during the off-season(wimco.com) is my idea of a romantic vacation. All the best!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your opinions and good wishes! I really appreciate it. Haven't made our decision yet but will have to do it soon.

Mimipam, can you give me some idea of what the food costs at Maroma? We would probably eat at the resort for at least several meals and it would be good to help gauge total costs.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Breakfast was included in the room price and it was delicious and big--order what you want. That way you will not need much lunch or can have a late lunch and no dinner. I will have to get back to you on the price of dinners because my sweetheart always pays but I do remember being surprised this last time as the price was in pesos and was not as much as we thought it was. Also, while we were there they brought us sorbet and fruit on the beach around 11 am and that was gratis.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:05 PM

I haven't stayed at Maroma, but I do think the Riviera Maya is a really special place, and the beaches are just beautiful! Even though I like going to different places every year, it's hard not to return to this area every year!
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:49 PM

We just got back from a short trip to Caneel. (Made even shorter by the fact that we arrived shortly after Jeanne.) Can't say enough about this place - the grounds were gorgeous. We found the room quite comfortable - not terribly posh, but very charming. The place was very quiet, not surprisingly, which is why we chose September in the first place. November would probably be considerably livelier.

The staff were great, and we enjoyed the restaurants at night. The beach bar was fun for lunch.

Again, the grounds are amazing. We had a room on Scott Beach, and it was romantic and lovely. If you enjoy the outdoors, this could be the place for you. We love to hike and snorkel, and enjoyed the beautiful plants, trees, and flowers.

A taxi to Cruz Bay was $6 and took maybe ten minutes. Fun town. Whichever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon. We celebrate our anniversary in November.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:04 PM

Caneel: We enjoyed the fabulous location to snorkeling and the best beaches. I didn't like the attitude of the staff at all. You may certainly email me for more detailed information ([email protected]). Rooms were simple and no telephone to call for the forgotten items such as towels, etc. The food we had at Caneel (breakfast and maybe a lunch or two) was fine but overpriced.

You won't find snokeling at Moroma right off the beach as at Caneel. You will probably have better rooms, food and service, though.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 04:09 PM

I agree with most everyone here - Caneel is absolutely gorgeous. The meals are overpriced. The lunch buffet is great though. The biggest thing I didn't like about Caneel though is that jackets are required after sunset, and it can be a bit stuffy. I enjoy getting dressed up, but wouldn't want it to be a requirement for every night. That being said, you can't beat going to Cruz Bay and checking out the restaurants there. There are some great ones (Lime Inn, Zozo's were some of our favorites). Enjoy! And congrats!