Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Caneel or Little Dix..Which would you spend more time ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it planned to spend 8 days at Caneel and 3 at Little Dix possibly 4 days at LDB if we can. Is that going to be enough time at LDB or should I do an even split between the 2 places?
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:13 AM

I would do it the other way round, stay longer at Little Dix Bay - being a villa owner on Virgin Gorda, this is still my favourite hotel in the Caribbean.
Regine/KATITCHE POINT GREATHOUSE
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:32 AM

I agree. The location, exclusivity, quality of staff at LDB are all superior to Caneel Bay. ONe of the best places we've stayed anywhere in the world!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Sunnyboy

I second (or third) the above comments. LDB is the better reort of the two. Virgin Gorda is my favorite island. If it were me I'd skip Caneel and spend my entire time at Little Dix.

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

I get the sense everyone likes LDB better, but I am concerned that there is less to do on VG then St. John. Are there many places to go out at night and have some drinks on the beach and things like that?
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 10:33 AM
cdt

If this is your first visit to both islands I'd split it 50/50 and make up your own mind about which place you prefer.

They're both quiet islands but you can find a few places to have a cocktail on VG.

It might make sense to allocate more days to Caneel if you planned to spend time on St. Thomas while there - e.g. for shopping or golf.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 01:27 PM

We have always done Caneel, than one year we split 3 nights at LDB, 5 at Caneel. Most of the young couples that did the split enjoyed LDB, more activities, day sail to Anegada etc. We on the other hand, well past the honeymoon stage enjoyed Caneel and Cruz Bay. We prefer the dining options outside the resort. We thought the Sugar Mill, beach bar, breakfast at LDB
was nicer than Caneel. Cruz Bay has Ascolare, Lime Inn, Paradiso, Fish Trap and many more.
So it really comes down to a personal
choice, only you can deceide!
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 03:16 PM

The only thing that one might wonder about is the family-friendly atmosphere at LDB compared to Caneel. At least if there are some ankle biters on the beach at Caneel, you can switch easily. They do discourage children on Scott's and Turtle Bay beaches as well. Although LDB's beach is one nice one, there are no easy alternatives if you happen to run into "family time." I did prefer LDB since it was more intimate and smaller but now with the villas, I'm not sure how the ambience might have changed. Your day that you switch is mostly a traveling day and getting readjusted to the new spot so not sure how your 4/3 will split as the 3 might wind up with only 2 full days and if one is a departure day for home, that really doesn't give you much time. I usually did 5 mights at each and it was comfortable. There are good dining options on Virgin Gorda and some lovely beaches away from LDB but there is no "town" or village like Cruz Bay on St. John. I prefer VG because it is more like St. John used to be before it became so popular but it is becoming busier too. Do go to Devil's Bay rather than the Baths - same scenery but less crowded and if you can do a day trip to Anegada, it is lovely!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:26 PM

The only big plus for Caneel over Little Dix is the snorkeling directly from the beach. You can not do that at LD;you need to take a boat.LD on the otherhand has nicer staff, good hiking, and easier to get around the grounds.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Sunnyboy

What "nancylee" said about snorkling at LDB is not totally accurate. You don't have to take a boat to enjoy great snorkling. There are several beaches (The Baths, Spring Bay, Savanah Bay, Pond Bay, Mahoe Bay and Nail Bail) with fantastic snorkling directly from the beach that are easily accessible by car and within a 4 to 12 minute drive of the resort. If you are physically fit there is even a hiking trail leading from the water's edge at LDB across the hill to Savanah Bay (about 30 minutes - one way). Of course there are many other great snorkel sites that are only accessible by boat. Don't let that stop you, the resort will help arrange trips for you.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

wow what great advice

The "ankle biters" at LDB would'nt bother me really.
Its great to hear the VG isnt as desolate as I have heard.
We will probably split it 50/50 and then we can decide and I can give them each the same consideration.