Caneel Bay Rooms

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caneel Bay Rooms

I'm planning a 10th anniversary trip for June 2007 and have narrowed it down to Caneel Bay or the Four Seasons Nevis. I'm leaning towards Caneel Bay, but am worried about the rooms. We will be booking the lowest price room. Are the rooms just sparse? Do they appear old and run down?

Is it difficult to get to Mahogany Run to play golf?
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Lowest priced rooms @ Caneel are by the tennis courts so you'll have to walk or tram to beaches. Rooms are not old and run down, just West Indies casual. Sitting area in the room, good closets, good-sized bathroom. Their website shows some rooms--you judge. Not posh, but clean and comfortable, and you will be staying in paradise.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 05:41 AM

p.s. When you arrive in St.Thomas, Caneel will meet you and take you to their boat to their dock at Caneel on St.John. The boat goes back and forth to STT daily, so golf, shopping are readily available.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Caneel is good about complimentary upgrades if they have availability-- but one has to ask. I doubt they'll be full in June, so you should have a good chance of getting a better room. The inside of the rooms is more or less the same (not at all run down, though fairly small, given the cost), but the views differ a good deal.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:39 PM

We stayed in one of those rooms and it was OK, not Ritz luxury but we had everything we needed, it was clean and comfortable, about 8 min walk to the beach and front desk. No problem at all.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 01:49 PM

We stayed in those rooms last March for 2 nights. When they did't fix out toilet after it had been broken & requested fixing numerous times, we asked to be moved. They moved us to water view on Cannel Beach for next 2 nights. I think the cheapest room was around $450 & our new room was $750. Ok, I could not afford to pay that much but if I could, it would be so worth the money. The courtside rooms were fine but much darker & the shower was pretty small. The water view room was bigger & brighter. Location wise though, both were very close to all beaches. You are definitely paying for access to some of the best beaches on the island & I would stay there again in a heart beat. We had a car rented for 3 days but turned it in early when we discovered we were happier right at Caneel's beaches!!
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM
owa

mamamia66, I laughed when you said you turned your car in early. Two years ago we didn't leave the resort for seven day. Last week we had a car for one day. We have found the Caneel Beaches to have some of the best snorkeling on the island.

We stay in an ocean view room and I can be snorkeling in three minutes. Absolutely our favorite place to go in the Caribbean. Owa

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Owa (etc): Which particular ocean view rooms do you like?
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:05 PM
owa

We usually stay in one of the 58-65 numbered room. They term them "Premium Ocean View". Owa

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Thanks for replying, Owa. We like those rooms also-- though I don't like the "regular" ocean view rooms.
We'll be back at Caneel in mid-December, and I'm hoping wherever we are has had some renovation. The Little Dix rooms are truly superior (but we like Caneel better in most other ways).
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 08:06 AM

When I was staying at Caneel Bay last month they were currently undergoing renovations in the Scotts Beach rooms. I am not sure if all of the rooms will be redone by December, but I know they are supposed to be - Susan