Sailing Abacos

Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Sailing Abacos

We will be sailing in the Abacos for 9 days in December with Moorings. Would appreciate any recommendation of itineraries for a family. We're hoping to dive a few days and looking for unique anchorages and sights, restuarants.
Sep 4th, 2006, 04:22 AM

Callaloo, a regular poster here, is probably sailing now or she would have posted a response by now. There are three Abaco trips on her web site:

http://www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html

Definitely buy the Dodge Guide and if Cracker Ps is open on Lubbers I can recommend them for a good meal. My wife just talked about their smoked fish dip yesterday.
Sep 4th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Roberto.
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:44 AM

Lucky you! Love the Abacos -- they remain my favorite sailing destination in the Caribbean/Atlantic region.

Going in December, you should prepare yourself for at least one cold front; the fronts seem to roll in weekly during the winter months. You may need to be prepared to seek a protected anchorage (of which there are several) for the worst of one, and you should have a windbreaker or something warm just in case. You'll generally have advance warning of one, if not from the behavior of the wind, then from the Cruiser's Net, which is on every morning at 8:15 on VHF 68. (Moorings will probably require you to listen, but it's no chore. You'll start to think of Patty, who runs the Net, as a family friend by the end of the week, as the Net is more than just weather.)

Do indeed get the Dodge guide, if Moorings hasn't already sent it to you. It's indispensible and updated religiously and meticulously.

We tend not to plan out our itineraries, since we like to go where the mood strikes us, and just about everything is within a few hours' sail. Some must-dos include the lighthouse in Hopetown, snorkeling at Tilloo Bank (more like a treasure hunt -- not much reef activity, but lots of sand dollars), snorkeling at Fowl Cay or the Pelican Cays, eating Vernon's key lime pie, shelling at Spoil Bank Cay, and visiting Pete Johnston's foundry at Little Harbour.

How old are your kids? I have to admit that some of my favorite activities are on the adult side. With kids, you might want to skip the Sunday pig roast at Nipper's (but any other time is a great time to visit Nipper's, with good food, a swimming pool with waterfall, and great swimming off the stunning beach of Great Guana Cay).

RobertoB kindly posted the link to my webpage. My reports of 3 past sails should give you some ideas. If that's not enough, there are a couple of Abaco forums online -- check out www.coconuttelegraph.net and www.abacoforum.com.

Good luck!
Sep 11th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Awsome Callaloo. Have visited your web page as well, which has already been a great reference.

Our kids are all adults so they are into basically the same activities.

Any recommedations on Dive sites?

Thanks again!!
Nov 16th, 2006, 11:25 AM

thanks RobertoB for Callaloo's website. We're looking at Cat Island for next year and not many have trip reports on it so, Thanks Callaloo!! Love the Abacos.
Nov 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Wow what great suggestions you have already gotten, and I know you will love Abaco.

I can also suggest checking with a buddy "Steve" who is also very knowledgable about the islands, and he can be found at www.bahams-mon.com and on the Grand Bahama page at www.geographia.com. His boat The Matrix is well know in the area.

Have a GREAT time.