Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best island for beach, no hassle, great food in early december?

Nov 15th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are thinking of going to the caribbean for a week or so the beginning of december. I'd like to find an island with beautiful beaches for swimming, turquoise water, really good food and where we aren't hassled and feel safe leaving the hotel. What is the weather like then? Winter storms? Would like a hotel with separate cottages and/or rooms with an ocean view. We aren't into sightseeing, just want to hang out in the ocean for hours and enjoy the warm weather. Any suggestions?
Serena
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Grand Cayman.

Amazing Beach (Seven Mile Beach)
Incredible restaurants.
Easy flights, and NO hassles!!
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Turks & Caicos -- it's all about the beach.
Nov 15th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Above suggestions are good. I'd also suggest Anguilla. If your budget is on the higher end, check out Cap Juluca for exactly what you're looking for. For a middle range budget, check out the Shoal Bay Beach Hotel. If you can accept more of a resort set up and not so much the individual cottages, Ku looks very good for the price.
Nov 15th, 2006, 11:12 AM

I second both Provo in Turks and Caicos and Anguilla. Believe EJ Crowe meant Shoal Bay Villas not shoal Bay Beach Hotel which is now Ku' If you go to www.luxurylink.com there is an auction package for KU' and several packages for Turks and Caicos. Do a HowardC Search for my past trip reports and comments on each island. Go to www.tciforum.com and send me a private message for more info on where to stay on Provo.
Nov 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check out Turks and Anguilla.

What's the weather like in Dec?
We lived in Hawaii for years and that's when we had winter storms, so while many people visited then it wasn't the best for weather.
serena
Nov 15th, 2006, 02:59 PM

HowardC, you're right, of course.

How long before you're off again?
Nov 15th, 2006, 06:51 PM
anonxx

2nd vote for Grand Cayman. Great weather during the winter months.

Nov 16th, 2006, 02:48 AM

Another vote for Turks and Caicos. I was there all of last December, always low 80's, only 1 day of clouds/rain. The water doesn't get more turqouise than that! Great restaurants with incredible settings, and never a hassle on the beach. No cruise ships-pure relaxation!
Nov 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM

I'll put my vote in for Anguilla. We went for our honeymoon and also were not interested in sightseeing - just relaxing on the amazing beaches. We selected Anguilla based on its ranking of having such great powder white sand, clear blue water beaches. We found the low-key atmosphere the perfect vacation setting. We stayed at the Malliouhana and really enjoyed our stay, but I understand that there may be management issues now, so I would also recommend Cap Jaluca as one of the premier resorts.
Nov 17th, 2006, 02:31 AM

Anguilla. Prettiest beaches I've ever seen & the weather should be beautiful. Nice people & good food.