caneel bay rooms

Nov 17th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

caneel bay rooms

I remember that the rooms on Little Caneel beach are somewhat larger (actually a good deal larger) than the other rooms-- but what I can't remember is their "noise level." That is, I believe I remember hearing boat traffic at the dock, especially in the morning with many workers coming over from St Thomas. I'm hoping knowledgeable Caneel folks can remind me of that situation. Thanks.
Nov 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM

I don't think it's any louder at Little Caneel than other beachfront rooms, unless the noise echos off the adjacent hill. The dock is nearly in the middle between Caneel and Little Caneel units, so I can't imagine it being any less loud at Caneel Beach as opposed to Little Caneel.

Turtle Bay beachfront units, where we stayed at and very much enjoyed, howevever, get the most boat traffic noise from all the USVI-BVI ferries. I didn't spend all that much time at Hawksnest/Scott/Paradise beaches, which I would presume have less noise in general.

If anything, you should request Little Caneel units in the single digits (5-9), which are further from the dock. Little Caneel units seem very appealing since they're larger, within easy walking distance to lobby/bar/entrance/etc and also being the closest to Self Centre and Honeymmon Beach.
Nov 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM
lvs

We stayed a couple of years on Little Caneel and I was awakened by the early morning boat which I think came in around 6 AM to bring over the workers. The rooms and patios are a bit larger but not enough to make a difference. It is also at the far end of the property so you have a longer walk to get to other sections. The beach there is small and not my favorite although the snorkeling is interesting there.
Nov 17th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Hawksnest is the most peaceful & quiet.
Nov 18th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Pretty much coincides with my memory.
One other detail, in case anyone might be interested: I remember that the little beach in front of those rooms has much more shade on it than almost any of the other beaches. Not a good place for folks who love always-sunny beaches, but a good place for people who like a lot of shade. And it's usually a fairly empty beach too. Also: My memory is that the views aren't as great from the little caneel rooms, since the tropical foliage seems more thick in that area (plus it's not up high). I do remember liking the size of the rooms, though. The others scarcely have any space for reading in the evenings.