Reload this Page >

Caneel Bay or Cap Juluca?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Hannah

Has anyone stayed at both of these resorts and prefer one over the other, and for what reason? I'm looking for the best beach, rooms that are very clean and nicley decorated, and great service and overall a beautiful resort.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:42 AM
delegator

hannah -- do you care about the surroundings other than the resort? because if you do, the resorts are on two completely different islands -- st. john has mountains, greenery, etc. and cap is on a basically flat, more dessert like island. that could help you decide as well. i haven't been to either, so of course, give my opinion as little weight as you want. however, my fiances best friend went to cap on his honeymoon and raved about it. despite this, we ruled out cap, as my fiance is a hiker and there are certainly more hiking opportunities, at least that is what i believe, on st. john. (we ended up going with St. John and Virgin Gorda (Biras)).<BR><BR>good luck with your search.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:54 AM
BILL

Not even close in my opinion. Judging resorts only Cap Juluca hands down. Better in just about every respect.<BR><BR>Been to both, would not go back to Caneel Bay. Would return to Cap in a second.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Kathleen

Have been to Cap not Caneel. Here's a website that may help you travelhop.com take a look at both for yourself! This has helped me decide on my vacations <BR>

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 09:42 AM
fyi

Cap Juluca stands above most resorts not only because of the beach but the special personalized service, good restaurants on the property, comfortable and spacious accomodations and the excellent warm friendly staff. <BR>Both are great properties with Cap being more manicured and a bit of an oasis on an arid flat island with great beaches while St. John is the lush tropical volcanic setting and Caneel sits in the National Park.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:28 PM
GM

St. John is totally different geography than Anguilla, as the posters Delegator and FYI noted. Price wise, they are around the same, both have package deals for 7 nite stays (and some pkgs include spa treatments/massage). St. John is closer for travelling to (maybe 45 mins).

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Blake

Cap Juluca is a wonderful luxurious resort, extremely relaxing on an outstanding white sand beach. It is one of my favorite places in the world.<BR><BR>Caneel has very nice grounds and scattered beaches, but I don't care for the rooms at all. Not luxurious by my standards, and most are not on a beach. Plus I hate all the bugs on St. John, and I don't mind desert-ish islands like Cayman and Anguilla.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:15 PM
xxxx

Caneels rooms are very nice but CapJ's are much more luxurious with the outdoor double tubs and private sunning decks in some. Anguilla is more expensive than St. John but there is so many excellent dining choices on Anguilla that it is hard to choose which to go to.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:00 AM
hannah

Thanks for the responses. Seems like most agree that Cap Juluca is a wonderful place. Do fights go directly to Anguilla? If not, would there be a ferry that I can take, because I don't like the small (planes) puddle jumpers, is that what they're called?

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:06 AM
Dahlia

We found it most convenient to fly to St. Martin, taxi over to Marigot, then take the ferry to Anguilla.<BR><BR>Ask the Cap reservation desk. I believe they offer some sort of &quot;special&quot; service where you are met at Juliana Airport by their representative, expedited through immigration and brought right to the ferry.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful vacation. I think you'll enjoy Anguilla.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:13 AM
Anna

We flew into San Juan and got a connecting flilght directly to Anguilla, American Airlines. It was very pleasant actually, San Juan Airport has been redone and it is a short walk to the Am Eagle terminals downstairs. Wallblake airport is much smaller, less crowded and Cap provides the transfers to and from the airport. A short 15 minute airconditioned cab ride to Cap and you are in heaven. We were at the airoprt for 10 minutes and got right into a cab. After speaking to other people who had taken the ferry from St. Martin, it was a better way to get there. It may cost you a little more money but well worth it to fly directly into Anguilla The Exeuctive service is not needed at the Wallblake Airport since it is not a hub to other caribbean islands and is much much easier.