Reload this Page >

Caneel Bay vs. Biras Creek vs. Cap Juluca

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Paul

My wife and I are looking for a great, private carribean experience. I've heard Caneel Bay has better beaches, but Biras Creek has better rooms. Does Caneel Bay have a pool? Can anyone campare the food?<BR>Is this apples and oranges? Or will I not go wrong either way. Obviously, a couple a benjimans will be donated to somebody, I want the best location,

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:08 AM
karen

Caneel Bay is a stunning resort, resembling a botanical garden with concrete pathways, manicured gardens, and tennis courts - and surrounded by mountains and beautiful beaches. The accommodations (cabana-like rooms) are very nice, and there is an endless list of activities to keep you busy. However, the atmosphere is like that of a country club, and if you are not into this, you will not like it here. Would be great for families with kids, though – lots of stuff for them to do.<BR><BR>Much better beaches on St. John than in Virgin Gorda. Caneel Bay has seven on its property alone not to mention all the other wonderful beaches on St. John. You probably would not be disappointed in Biras Creek, however, we found STJ to be a bit easierier to access St. Thomas than VG. Meals are included, at Biras, if my memor serves me, however, we enjoyed dining away from Caneel and experiencing all the different restaurants that STJ has to offer. My choice would definitely be St. John, however, I would consider a villa in lieu of Caneel, but that's just my opinion. You will want to rent a 4WD to see all that the islands has to offer regardless of which choice you make. I've never been to Cap Juluca so I can't help you there.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:41 PM
tina

I've read several reports that said they don't recommend eating at Caneel Bay. What is the problem with the food there, or is it the service or price?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:16 PM
penny

Caneel has great beaches, its lush and has wonderful snorekling. Service is outstanding at the Turtle Bay House, and the rooms are low key with a West Indian feel. The little town of Cruz Bay is a short caravan taxi reide away. Nice little restaurants! Caneels Equator is not good, its noisy, its food just OK. I much rather dine in town at Ascolare, Paradiso, Cafe Wahoo, Morgans Mango etc. Caneel has a pool, its never used! Lucnch time usually busy at this resort and could be more relaxing!<BR>Never been to Biras, but I have been to Cap Juluca and Anguilla many times. Love CJ, its beach and large bedrooms, with marble baths. Great food and lots of dining choices just 5-10 minutes away.<BR>So, no bad choices! Just what appeals to you the most!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Len

CJ's rooms are a 7-8 on a scale of 10.<BR>CB's are 4.<BR>Anguilla is not as pretty as St. John, but its nicer beaches are outstanding. Not as picturesque as far as backdrop behind the beaches, but from the perspective of sitting on the beach and looking sideways or out toward the water, CJ's beaches are as nice as CB's.<BR>Both are very quiet and secluded.