Caneel Bay Advice!

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caneel Bay Advice!

We are planning to go to the Caribbean in June for our honeymoon. We would like to stay at Caneel Bay, but am hearing mixed reveiws. Anyone that has stayed there, will you please give me your honest answer if it is worth to stay there or to rent a villa? I just don't want to be disappointed on my honeymoon!! Any advice....
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 09:11 AM

The crux of your question is whether or not Caneel Bay is "worth it".
I'd venture to say that no one will be able to give you a good answer without any additional information.
If you've never stayed at a nice resort or been to the Caribbean and you have money to burn, sure it's worth it.
If you're on a super tight budget, you've travelled extensively, and you don't need on site beaches to enjoy your honeymoon, odds are you'll feel like you're getting more value out of a villa.
Of all the opinions I've personally heard or read (including those of my own family) I'd guess that perhaps 70-75% of people leave Caneel and say it was "worth it".
Knowing nothing else about you I can't guess which group you'd fit into.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:15 AM

FYI: Not sure if it's important to you and your fiance' but there are no TV's at Caneel Bay. We are going to St. John for our honeymoon and crossed that off the list since my guy likes to relax and watch movies in the room.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 11:56 AM

We went to Caneel Bay last July and we are going again in 15 days for 2 weeks. We absolutely loved it.....the people are amazingly friendly, restaurants were great and the beaches are indescribable. we never missed the TV or phone, (we had our phone cards which we used to contact our kids at home a few times from the phones at the reception area.) It is an amazing romantic place for a honeymoon.......or a 39th wedding anniversary as well. If I can help feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. you will drive yourselves crazy reading all the reviews. what clinched us was that there are sooooo many people who return year after year. I have said this before on this forum that the staff people are great but remember that a smile, a hello or a good morning go along way. dont go there with a tourists attitude. things are done in the caribbean differently than at home. chill out, have a relaxing honeymoon - you will need it. Caneel all the way for us. CONGRAGULATIONS!!
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 06:49 AM

cdo24, I had the exact same feelings last year when I was trying to decide. I really agonized over the decision because it is not a cheap vacation.

I stayed at Caneel Bay this past November and I am completely hooked. It was so gorgeous....we never had bad service either. I think what you have to do is be the first person to say hello and smile. They will resond back with the same courtesy.

I would not recommend the food plan at Caneel....there are many great restaurants in town which are a quick and cheap taxi ride away. I can't think of a better place to honeymoon...go and enjoy!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 01:00 PM

The Caneel Bay property and beaches are absolutely beautiful. The rooms are basic Caribbean style rooms and are very clean. We had an ocean view room on Caneel Beach but our favorite beach at this resort was Scott Beach. Great for snorkeling (rays, turtles). Can't speak for the restaurants on the property except for the beach bar which was pretty good. We went into Cruz Bay for most dinners. Staff is usually friendly - there is always one in the bunch that may appear unfriendly but not enough to ruin your stay. I highly recommend Caneel Bay. You may also want to check out Little Dix Bay (their sister property) on Virgin Gorda. We were there this past November - excellent!