Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Helping a friend decide b/w Parrot Cay, Caneel Bay, Little Dix Bay, and Jumby Bay

Helping a friend decide b/w Parrot Cay, Caneel Bay, Little Dix Bay, and Jumby Bay

Old Aug 13th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi:

One of my best friends is trying to decide where to go for a week long trip next May. This will be her honeymoon. However, I want the criteria for poster's recommendations to be based on where the best all around destination is (b/c she's an experienced traveller although she's never been to the Caribbean and doesn't need a place to be necessarily full of honeymooners).

Since I always planned and organized our trips in college, occasionally she asks me feedback on prospective locations. She has it down to the Rosewood Resorts in the Caribbean (e.g., Jumby, Caneel, and Little Dix Bay), and Parrot Cay in Turks and Caicos. Jumby Bay seems to be slightly more than the others, although they are all within their budget.

My concern is that Parrot Cay may be a little too relaxing for them (they're both busy CPA's and will like to relax but the private island thing may be too desolate). Jumby Bay takes longer to get to than the others. I personally think that they should try the Island Hopper package at Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay, but she seems to really like Parrot Cay.

Please give me some feedback that I can pass along.

Thanks!
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I probably should have written a little bit more about them so that could help inform your recommendation(s).

They are:
-Both in their mid-twenties but not in need of a club scene
-From Dallas and I don't think that they'd like the flight from Dallas to Antigua
-Both CPA's who work many hours a week
-Like good food and wine, but also like to try different things off the beaten path
-Have a lot of frequent flier miles through their work so that could be a factor in determining which place to go to
-Will be going in May 2006
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Topping
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Caneel has been getting a bad rap lately. Lots of complaints about slow or rude service people. The rooms are pretty simple for 5 star accomodations, but what some folks don't get is that that's supposed to be part of the charm. IMHO, nowhere beats the Virgin Islands for variety and beauty. St. John and Virgin Gorda are incredibly beautiful yet still populated enough to have plenty of opportunities for numerous activities. At the same time, both islands and their respective resorts are exclusive enough to give you that private island feel when the two of you just want to relax.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 06:40 AM

I'd vote for Little Dix too and maybe have them book one of the new suites. Virgin Gorda is lovely, there's plenty to do if they want to get out and about... or they can do nothing at all and just enjoy the gorgeous beach, palms, and lush foliage. Not to mention the wonderful spa.

Parrot Cay is basically a "sandbar in the middle of the ocean" - gorgeous beaches, but little else and not lush in the same way as the BVI at all. They might become totally bored.

Caneel Bay is too large for our tastes with too many guests and yes, there's been lots of complaints lately.

Have not been to Jumby Bay.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:10 AM

It's hard to argue with Scubamom, who contributes so much with her trip reports and photos, BUT I gotta do it re Caneel Bay vs. Little Dix Bay. We found Little Dix limiting, in that all the rooms are strung out along one main beach, and that the grounds behind the rooms were pretty ordinary.
Caneel, by contrast, has more rooms but scattered around or behind 7 beaches. Any beach will typically have only a few people on it, even during busy periods. And the grounds are truly spectacular, with rolling hills, views of sea, sky, hills, other islands from virtually anywhere on the property. As for the rooms, they are West Indian casual charming. They are very good rooms, with sitting area, patios/balconies, good bathrooms, closet space. Understated elegance. If someone wants marble baths, glitter and glitz, TV, Caneel is not for them. But as a romantic, tropical beachfront paradise, then Caneel is it!!!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:27 AM

Have not been to any you've mentioned but have been to Peter Island. The BVIs are lovely. I'd vote for Little Dix or Parrot Cay.

I find it amusing that people are concerned about being bored. Boredom is a state of mind. They are only going for a week. Given the amount of hours once works now and the stress one has, relaxing may be good for the soul. I would not worry about them being bored. After all, aren't they on their honeymoon (and presumably exhausted from planning their big day?).

I'd thought we'd be bored on Peter Island but I snorkeled and scuba dived and loved it. If I had more time, I would have ventured over to Vigin Gorda.

I'm glad to hear about the pros and cons of Caneel Bay. That's what I love about this forum. It made me decide to go to Anguilla instead. Dec is far away but the notion of having nothing to do is VERY appealing.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. One of my friends is getting back from Peter Island tomorrow so I can ask her more questions about it. I tried to convey the Parrot Cay vibe that I've read about (e.g., sandbar in the middle of the beach), but she still is high on it.