Caneel Bay Resort.....WOW

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we just returned from 8 nights at Caneel Bay Resort. After reading many of the reports concerning Caneel I was somewhat apprehensive. (the reports were from june/july). My wife and I have traveled many places throughout the Caribbean and throughtout the US and Canada, including Hawaii and we both agreed that this was our most peaceful and relaxing vacation ever!!!!
The empolyees at Caneel were absolutely wonderful and went out of there way all the time. I guess they treat you the way you treat them. The beaches were amazing and my wife and I snorkeled every day. The weather was great, rained a few minutes each day but stopped and the sun came out and you would never know it had rained. We ate at the Equator restaurant and was very pleased with the food and the wine list. We did go in to Cruz Bay a few nights...went to the Fish Trap, Pannini's for lunch and the Mongoose Restaurant. The meals were fairly priced and service was good. We went to the Baths at BVI and it was a great day on the water. Little Dix was nice but we were glad to get back to Caneel..it felt like home..(i wish)

The only negative was leaving,.....we hated to depart the resort but all good things come to an end to make room for more. I can truly see why there are so many repeat customers at Caneel. Caneel is not for everyone though....if you want a phone in your room, a TV and room service then please stay somewhere else. If you do decide that you need a break from the busyness of the world do yourself a favor go to Caneel...
The beaches were absolutely breathtaking. The water was warm and crystal clear. We will be back hopefully next year.
P.S. If you decide to go, go there with a positive attitude, have no expectations and try smiling...it goes a long way!!!!

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:21 PM

I think your last statement explains most of the negative comments about Caneel Bay. Many people DO go there with high expectations. And for the price, I think many people feel they have a right to expect a lot. But they don't find out until they arrive that Caneel Bay is not about luxurious rooms, plasma screen TV's in the room, manicured green grass lawns, etc. It's about beaches, peace and quiet.
If all travellers took the time to research in advance they'd likely know whether or not they'd like Caneel.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

you are right on with your comment. Caneel is not for everyone. We had no expectations and just wanted to relax and have a good time. We celebrated our 38th Anniversary and my birthday. I cannot say enough about it. I did have alot of apprehensions after reading many comments about negative attitudes about the staff but never ran in to that at all. The vacation was absolutely perfect and I attribute much of that to doing my homework. I am already starting to save for the next trip.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:27 AM

Thank you for your post. I always wonder about the people who post on these boards. I am interested in Cannel and Little Dix for a honeymoon in Oct. and from the mixed reviews I was hesitant. But I think its the people writing the reviews that I needed to know more about then the resorts. There are just some people that cant be pleased. They assume it is a luxury resort and it is if your idea of luxury is peace, quiet and beautiful beaches. I always go wayyyy out of my way to be nice to hotel staff and restaurant workers. They always seem to genuinly care if I have a problem with anything and offer to help make our stays even better. It doenst take much more then a good morning, a big smile and a great attitude. Which we have. It sounds like Cannel is the place for us to go.
Thanks for your report!
JK
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

jkurtiak....you are right on with your comment about being nice to people.....i know that many times dealing with the public can be difficult but if it is approached in a good way most people are willing to go out of there way.
when we left Caneel the staff was hugging us goodbye........we really had a good time with them..they helped make our vacation special.....i am not afraid of dealing with things that are not correct but always respond in a positive way when people go out of there way for you. i learned that many years ago.....a smile and a hello go a long way....the workers there are very proud of there island, there heritage and the job that they do. if they run in to a customer who is rude, demanding or just doesnt know how to interact with people they i am sure will respond in sort. one gentleman who works there said he always tries to turn a negative situation around...i cannot say enough about caneel....it was everything we wanted...quite a few honeymooners..and they were so pleased with their choice to stay there. there were a few old foggies like us there too.....if you have any specific questions just ask...
good luck