Caneel, $700 roach and ant farm?

Sep 1st, 2008, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Caneel, $700 roach and ant farm?

No one loves nature more then me. I am a diver and chose Caneel to share some non-diving underwater experiences with my spouce.

I figured the 700 would get me a beautiful beach, clean room and some service. Having gone to Little Dix, it is the least I can expect right?

Whats with the roaches? And what with all the service complaints?
Sep 1st, 2008, 05:12 AM

I have seen roaches at every single property I have ever stayed at in the Caribbean over the last 15 years, including the most well-known, high-end places you can imagine. At a place that charged $1075 per night in 2007,(before tax and service), I found one little critter in my shoe that was nearly two inches long!

It is the tropics. It doesn't bother me, and I don't understand why people are so freaked out by seeing some bugs when they are in such an environment. Frankly, I'm happy to see that some aspects of the ecosystem are healthy.
Sep 1st, 2008, 05:37 AM

hey john, we spoke earlier concerning caneel.

its a one of a kind place. surrounded by lush gardens AND gorgeous beaches. not glitzy at all, rustic with great snorkling beaches which is what we wanted and what we got.

never saw a roach in my room, never had a problem with not having a tv or telephone which seems to upset some people. never got bit by mosquito's, but we were there in june. had great service, but we are great tippers and yes it is expensive...we knew that going in.

we had wonderful dinners in cruz bay which we loved going to in the evening....lobster, wonderful fresh fish, great pasta....we ate at equator in the ruins privately one night and it was worth every penny.

we stayed in a very high end resort in the bahamas, 1000 a night and found a rat dropping in a muffin....nice breakfast..IT HAPPENS, thankfully not often!

ive been to the caribbean three times this summer and i have seen vacationers treat staff like garbage...word travels quickly among co-workers....figure out the rest!!

caneel is rustic, gorgeous...lush and green, chock filled with wildlife and sports a variety of beaches in one place that cant be beat....if you can accept that it is not glitzy, with very comfortable, clean rooms and service if you want it than you will have a great time....we were aware of this going in and were very pleasently surprised at how much we loved it...and those beaches at your fingertips each and every day is the draw that will keep us coming back.

i was able to have champagne delivered to my room with no problems....afternoorn cheese and crackers with some nice fruit and wine....no problem....ice when i needed it..no problem...coffee came late one afternoon....no charge...i had extra beach towels, extra shampoo and toiletries....extra snacks and soda's.....due to the fact that we tip our staff WHEN we meet them, its OUR common courtesy that we have with any staff that is there to make OUR stay a better one.

ive learned to read between the rotton reports....i had concierge call me to see how we were doing and coffee brought without asking..good service is there but if you are a whiner and whine about bugs in a tropical setting, the guys and gals who service the customers are going to have a field day with it....human nature...and speaking of nature...we loved having it so close...i gotta laugh at people who are SHOCKED that there is bug spray in the room...hellooooo, look out the windows! one morning a beautiful bird came to sit on our ledge, obviously looking at our breakfast....well, she decided to throw up two lemon seeds and then abrublty left....we thought this was hilareous...someone else would have thrown up....!!!

we loved it....couldnt fault it knowing what to expect...and we will definately return.

all the best,
albee

Sep 1st, 2008, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Albee,

I think its best to stop reading these posts...I have been all over the world..Wife and I always get along with everyone in every place we have gone..

We keep our mouths shut treat staff, locals and other guest with respect and never take advantage of service.
You get what you give out!!

Thanks again for keeping me in check!!
Sep 1st, 2008, 12:29 PM

Where did you read about the roaches? On TA? My husband and I are thinking of a return trip to the island and a 1st time stay at Caneel. I've been to several islands in the Caribbean over the years and only encountered roaches in one place. I don't mind ants, lizards, etc.. but roaches to me are unacceptable. If you do go there, please let us know how it was. Thank you.
Sep 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM

The most recent review on TA (as of this morning) was written by some high-maintenance person who seemed to have an axe to grind. Reminded me of a review I read a while back, for a luxury property near the Great Barrier Reef, from someone who complained about the lack of "hot canapes" in reception before dinner. Gotta take these kinds of reviews with a grain of salt. Roaches and mice are ubiquitous.
Sep 2nd, 2008, 05:34 AM

I'm not defending Caneel, but there have always been service complaints from some travelers. For about the last 15 or 20 years, people have been saying the resort is going downhill, but it remains well-loved by many on this forum.

Regarding roaches, you do have to make a distinction in the Caribbean between roach infestations and the large roaches that crawl in from outside. It doesn't necessarily signify a lack of cleanliness. I've seen ants in many rooms in the Caribbean; they often come in under doors and from around pipes; if you spray Off in those areas, they won't cross.

If you read every Tripadvisor complaint literally, you will drive yourself mad. There will always been an individual who has a problem with any hotel. I've read widely about occasional ant issues at Caneel and at almost every other hotel in the Caribbaen (especially when it's been rainy) but not roaches.
Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Dear Doug,

I am impressed that you monitored my post.

You are correct, reading every word will drive you mad. It's just when I work 60 hours a week it helps me to pass the time and quell the anticipation. Not to mention when you only get a short time away and spend this kind of money you would hope that a large % of reviews are good.

I have been to 22 countries and many of the Caribbean Islands, yes there are creepies around its only natural..

If you read some of the hundreds of post under my name on Fodor's you will be hard pressed to fine one negative. Some say that mostly the negative people take the time to complain and review. I find that I am the opposite. I did not mean to awaken the Gods!!

In spite of what might be thought, we are so excited to have the privilege to visit such a beautiful resort and cannot wait until our arrival.

Hope this is not taken the wrong way.

My wife and I are great travelers..We give great respect and always leave with lasting relationships from everywhere we have been..

All the best..

johnb
Marlton, NJ
Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Doug,

I have no problem if you remove the original post, I may have been out of line and do not want to offend the resort or deter anyone from going.
Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM

johnb: Just IMHO, I don't think your original post is offensive at all. You are just trying to get more information regarding an investment which is pretty significant for most of the world. $700/night is nothing to sneeze at and it's people who don't know what to expect who are disappointed by what they get. IMO, it's important to point out that seeing cock roaches or rather "Palmetto Bugs" which can be pretty big, is one thing. You can't avoid seeing them in any given place at any time of the day or night in the Caribbean. We went to dinner at a very upscale restaurant, and there next to my reserved-two-months-in-advance-fancy-romantic-overlooking-Pillsbury Sound-table-for-two sitting on the railing was a 3 inch long Palmetto Bug or cock roach, apparently waiting to be served dinner. The waiter simply swatted it away with the menu. Great. Where'd it go? Under my chair? Oh, well. Caneel may not have the white glove, wait on you hand and foot service that it used to have back in its Hollywood and Royalty golden days, but it is far from cock roach infested and surly. The occasional critter will wander in and out of any room/building. It's not because it isn't clean, it's just that bugs will wander. In fact, I recall a recent poster being pleasently surprised with Caneel Bay after all the negative comments. Keep reading, it definitely will better prepare you for whatever, and IMO, it does help with the anticipation. I'll bet you'll have a wonderful time. Please ask anything about STJ, there are many enthusiasts on this forum.
Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

very nice, thank you
Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM

Yes, this isn't a situation where we want to delete a post. Rather, it's a situation where we want to try to gather up a wide range of opinions on Caneel to make you feel better about your choice (or not, in which case some people may be trying to dissuade you).

Not sure if it matters, but Caneel and Little Dix Bay are owned and operated by the same company.
Sep 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM

I was at Caneel Bay last December. Staff was wonderful, we really enjoyed it. We did have a problem with the sand fleas at sunset that we have never had before, but we finally started using the bug spray we were provided and we were just fine.
WT
Sep 4th, 2008, 03:41 AM

I'll never forget seeing a woman become visibly agitated by the sight of a small chameleon at a restaurant in Coral Bay. I have always wondered how the rest of her week went, given the size of some of those iguanas.

We stayed at Caneel Bay for a few nights in 2004. If we didn't prefer villas, we'd go back to Caneel every year. It's a lovely place, you will have a great time.
Sep 4th, 2008, 03:56 AM

My husband and I have been going to Caneel for the past 6 years and are headed back next month. We love Caneel and enjoy the surrounding beaches and the understated elegance in which Caneel has.

Yes you are in the caribbean and will see the occasional bug here and there, but then again I have killed spiders, cave crickets, bill bugs, house centipedes (HATE THESE GUYS), silver fish, etc. in my own house and I live in NJ.
So no matter where you are, you are most likely going to run into a bug here or there.

If you truly love a natural setting, then I think you will love Caneel as much as we do! - Susan
Sep 4th, 2008, 07:46 AM

....on the plus side to the "close to nature atmosphere"...although i kind of welcome the little critters, lol...i got to swim behind my first turtle off turtle beach at caneel....they are truly beautiful and graceful and i will never forget it.
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM

My husband and I went to Caneel for the first time a few months ago and fell in love with it. We cannot wait to go back. We did not have any problems with bugs in the room. Make sure to spray yourself with bug spray if you are on the beach at sunset though because the sand fleas will bite you...the manager warned us of this when he took us to our room. He said some people think they are bed bugs because the bites won't show up until the next day. I must have not sprayed well enough one day because that exact thing happened and the bites looked exactly as he described them (little red dots). I too was worried after reading a number of reviews, but had no problems. Also, who doesn't get the occassional bug in their house? How can you expect a hotel in the tropics to not?
Sep 18th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

This all can't be made up Island smyland Ive been to dozens and at $700, this rediculous...

My husband and I stayed at caneel bay in january, this was our first experience with the resort. We have stayed at a few other Rosewood resorts and did not have any problems. But with Caneel Bay we also had a bug problem like other visitors had, except we experienced maggots in the dresser which wound up on our clothes. We called the front desk and they came and removed the dresser and behind it were a bunch of maggots that looked like by the size of them were there for quite sometime.

after reading other reviews i just had to comment onCaneel Bay. It was a girls getaway .Our room was nice nothing fancy but what a view. We were greeted with lotsof goodies in the room which was very nice. Bathroom needs some fixing and the air condtioner leak on items on top of the dresser. Yes there were bugs but it is the Carribean.
The staff was very friendly and the grounds were lovely. The food was okay. The morning breakfast buffet has two prices hot or cold which n obody explains.They should charge one price for all or explain before you sit down,
Always make sure you check your bill before you leave as there were charges that weren't mine.After explaining at the front desk I thought it was taken care of.Received a note saying they were chargeing me for something that was suppose to have been taken care of. I called the front desk no problem, until I received my Am X bill and there was the charge.