still looking caneel bay

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still looking caneel bay

any feedback on this resort would be great, searching for what seems to be forever for luxury resort, nice beaches, two teens, help!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Laurance Rockefeller searched in the 50s for the perfect eco-friendly place to have a resort and bought 2/3 of St. John, built Caneel Bay on a 171 acre peninsula and gave the rest to the US for a National park. No beach has more than 24 rooms. The lowest priced rooms are a walk or tram ride from a beach, but are not inferior rooms-prices mostly by beach proximity.
the rooms on Cottage Point have nice views and a short walk to Scott Beach. To be right on the beach, Scott is the priciest beacuse the rooms are one story with patio on the sand (IMO) not worth it because you don't have complete privacy at night. We stayed on Hawksnest Beach ("beachfront room") category. There are 12 up and 12 down. If you are up, you get a rear screened porch facing the garden and a front patio above the sand for the most privacy. Also Hawksnest faces east so there is plenty of shade on the beach,especially in the afternoon. Also the trade winds blow from the east, keeping the Hawksnest rooms comfortable just using the celing fan and no A/C. There is wade-in snorkeling from the SEVEN beaches. IMO absolutely NOTHING compares to Caneel for eco-friendly tropical paradise beach surroundings. The grounds are so extensive, you can nearly get lost, and there are views from everywhere of sea, sky, islands, but NO development. The criticisms of Caneel that exist take on two forms. ONE--People who don't do their homework and think that paying big bucks at Caneel means glitter and glitz, marble baths, gold faucets, and glamorous lobby. Caneel is very upscale, but in a casual West Indies way, and TWO--Some people think that big bucks means snap-to service and bow down staff. Some Caribbean resorts are that way because it's easy to serve food and drinks at their one pool and one beach. Caneel is too spread out. We have found that if guests realize that they are a guest on other people's island and treat them with respect the staff responds accordingly. If the way I've described Caneel seems right for you, you will love it and not want to leave....Ken
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:42 AM

I would have to agree with Ken but for one exception; I stayed on Scott Beach for a week in October and found it exclusively private, especially at night. With the exception of wild donkeys paying their daily afternoon visit to drink from the foot washing basins. We barley saw anyone. Keep in mind we were there in October, which is the lowest of off-peak season. Also keep in mind children are not allowed on Scott; I don't know what Caneel uses as an age limit. I would think teenagers would be fine though.
I would describe Caneel as understated luxury with a tropical feel; I loved it. Marble and gaudy fixtures would not make me feel as if I'm in the islands.
Caneel's only drawback is the food, breakfast is fine but for the most part everything else is overpriced and overly average. But that is not a problem with Cruz Bay so close, having great restaurants. In other words I would not get the meal plan.
As far the staff: some of the complaints probably are correct. I never had a problem but have witnessed some. I think I treat everyone with respect and that might be the difference. Not to mention, when I'm in the islands, I'm there to relax and not let the little things bother me. Getting "dissed" as some might say, is not going to ruin my vacation.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

thanks, very helpful, and no i dont ask for luxury for the reasons you stated, dont want anyone bowing to me and my family, i say luxery because when i went to jamaica when they were younger i ate dinner with people in their bathing suits and had cats rubbing up against my legs, soooooo, im a little more in tune with what the caribbean has to offer, yes, luxery in the carib might not mean gold faucets, i just want a nicer room, i booked the four seasons in nevis, but thinking about changing it because (one) the beaches arent the best although people have written to me and say they are beautiful in their own way, (two) we are not the "what do you do for a living, and how much do you make, and where do you live" family, worried about this too......looked at some rooms at a website that allows you to veiew the resort, still searching, thanks for all of your input, caneel bay sounds like just what we want, laid back luxery, no cats in the dining area please, im just not crazy about the rooms. and having the water right outside of your room is a definate plus for all of us. thanks again
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 04:39 AM

albee,

when are you planning on going? Have you kept your FS reservations?
We are planning on staying there in July ( and also the Marriott in St. Kitts) and are not "snobby" type of people! I would love to talk with you about our upcoming vacations, as I have never been to Nevis or St. Kitts, and it sounds like you have done lots of research , and I am just starting

Take care

[email protected]

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Just to let you know, all teens are different, but we took our kids a few years ago to caneel bay and then this year to fs nevis. Both resorts were gorgeous, but my kids far preferred nevis. Caneel was just too quiet for them.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:43 AM
owa

Hi, The first two answers gave you very good information. My husband and I have been to Caneel twice and absolutely love it. The best part is the fact that you can be snorkeling in minutes. No problem with the staff. The food isn't the best as said--except at breakfast. I would love to take my 4 grandchildren if it wouldn't be so expensive. With all the beaches on St.John and daysails, I don't think they would be bored. Good luck in your search. Owa