Reload this Page >

Caneel Bay St. John (1-8 Nov)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 01:39 PM
owa

We spent an absolutely fantastic week at Caneel. This was our second time in two years, and we loved Caneel more this time. There has been much said on this and on other boards about the service for the price of the resort. It was interesting to talk to first time guests (there were lots of honeymooners) and to others that were returning. The first timers generally were disappointed in the service and attitudes of some of the staff. Repeats, like us, voiced the same opinion that we have---we do not go to Caneel for the service. We go for the beaches, snorkeling, and the beautiful 180 acres. The food was average. The Equator was closed due to repairing the roof. The breakfast buffet is huge and our favorite meal. At the evening meal, potatoes were served the same two ways each night for a week. Needless to say we would have liked a little variety. Definitely not worth $60PP for the evening meal. The resort was 100% booked for some of the time we were there. Maybe the attitude is why improve when we have enough guests. I do not know. There is a waiting list for Christmas. Evidently someone has to die before there is an opening. I talked to a couple that has been going to Caneel for 30+ years.

I know some of you will be amazed by this, but we did not leave the resort except to go on a boat trip to Watermellon to snorkel. We rented a jeep two years ago and saw the island. We snorkled a beach at Caneel twice a day for two and three hours at a time. We saw something new every time we went out. Saw a couple of really different fish. Don?t have a clue what they were.

I was not ready to go home. I think ten days would be about right.

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owa, Thanks for your post. My husband and I are planning on celebrating our 20 anniversary at Caneel in January. While we have had several vacations on SJ, this is our first time at Caneel. I am fairly concerned about the service there. I do not understand why Rosewood cannot get it's act together. Why is the service so bad?
At these prices it is a crime not to offer food service in the rooms. One of the great things about going on vacation for me is to have coffee delivered to the room each morning. I understand that this is not offered at Caneel. We stayed at the Rosewood property in Los Cobos and it was first rate. Just can figure out why Caneel cannot offer such service.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Service issues.
True, owa, some people are so independent while on a beach vacation that they're not concerned with the quality of the service. In some respects, I suppose, that's a healthy attitude.
But some poeple who go to Caneel are there for a special occasion--honeymoon, anniversary, etc--and good service can greatly enhance those experiences.
Others are stretching their budgets to be able to stay at Caneel, and have no advance knowledge of the level of service they should expect. They may assume that for $500-800 per night in the USA they'd get world class service, so why not in the Caribbean? Those people can get quite angry.

When you comment that the 'repeaters' weren't there for the service, that would be assumed, I would think. By definition, people who are turned off by a resort aren't likely to return. Those that had a good time return. As such, over time a resort like CB is frequented primarily by those types of people who like what is offered there.

As for smoot60's question, there are a number of reasons why Rosewood can't easily 'fix' the service problem. Firstly, there is a requirement that a certain percentage of the employees be locals. Rosewood can't simply train up a boat load of mainlanders and ship them to CB to run the place.
Second, people who grow up in the islands generally have a different sense of 'pace'. Life is slower, things are more relaxed, whether you're running a bank or a bar. It's called 'island time'. Rosewood won't be able to de-program locals to eliminate their cultural sense of proper pace of life (nor should they consider doing so; it's not Rosewood's island or culture).
Third, many US citizens exhibit what locals consider a lack of respect for the island's culture. This can cause the locals to react with nonchalance or indignation. By simply complaining about 'island time', one risks offending locals. That's their culture which is being criticized. As if guests on St. John should be able to walk onto the island and have all the locals change their ways to suit the visitors. It should be the opposite.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 04:46 PM
owa

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but there is a small coffee pot in the room. If you love really good coffee, I'd bring some with you as they leave the standard individual packed variety. You can get coffee at the complementary bagel/pastry/juice table every morning from 6-730AM, but you'll have to walk to the reception area. You have to walk to everything at Caneel, but that is what we love about it--all the wide open spaces. I actually thought the service at breakfast was better this year than 2 years ago. By that I mean we were asked if we wanted refills of coffee quite often. Many people would hate having to put an ice bucket outside the door every morning in order to get ice. Or, having to walk outside to find a phone to call reception when the bathroom is flooding. I enjoyed not having a TV so much that I told my husband we had to try and leave it off when we got home. Has not worked!! If you like to eat at the early seating, like we do, be sure you call ahead of time and make your reservations. Especially since you are going at a busy time. Any questions, just ask. Owa

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Having visited Caneel 6 times in the past 12 years I believe it has one of the most desirable environments except when it is over-run by 1-6 year olds.
On vacation, most people like to dine on good food. We have had food at 14-15+ other resorts includig a remote one (Anthoney's Key) in Honduras that were better than Caneel food. Little Dix is 25% better on food but 25% less on environment. It depends on what you are looking for in a resort. The snorkeling off the 7 beaches at Caneel is good to excellent if that is your fancy. Diving though, is just o'k.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 08:31 AM

Well I understand "island time" and the service issues. I guess I will pack my own coffee and maybe some snacks for the trip to Caneel. I just never dreamed that a resort on the level of Caneel would not offer basic room service. We have been on SJ, the first time we stayed in the tents at Maho and we spend a great week at Gallows Point. It is just very hard for me to accept the great price we are paying and not having great service. I am looking forward to going and my expectations about the service is so low that I am sure I'll be pleased with the "island time" service.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 10:32 AM

I don't think the service issues at Caneel are a matter of 'island time' or cultural differences since many other Caribbean resorts are able to provide a higher standard. A resort's management determines the level of service that's acceptable, and it seems that the combination of high occupancy and lack of competition on the island has led them to believe that no improvements are necessary. This is, of course, JMHO.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 03:24 PM
owa

I think there is truth in your post. We were at Coral Gardens in the Turks and Caoics last month. Granted there weren't many guests, but the manager spoke to us every day. What amazed me was that the waiters seemed to actually enjoy their job as they joked with us and each other. They made us feel it was important to them that we were there. They made it fun. They have a new manager since we were there two years ago, but I can't say I noticed any difference. Owa

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Patty, I'm sure that's a part of the explanation. But I've stayed at 4 other Rosewood resorts, 2 outside the US, and the service was nothing like Caneel's (was much better). I have a very high opinion of Rosewood as a management company and I simply have to believe that if there was a straightforward way to upgrade the service at CB, they would pursue it. It's not the kind of company that would sit idly by and ignore complaints (which I'd guess are numerous) from disgruntled guests. My guess is that there is a significant 'local component' to the problem.

Smoot: the best way to avoid disappointment is to have low expectations. Your idea is excellent. I believe that thorough research leads to better vacations. You can still have a great time at Caneel. If you know what to expect going in, you might not even notice any glaring service issues and simply focus on the positives--which are many at CB.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 03:06 AM

I have just returned from Caneel and Jumby Bay - Report will follow when I have more time. I have no problem with Caneel's service. It is more of a 'laid back' type than Jumby's, but I found it quite good.

I had breakfast, including hot tea, (hot coffee is available) most mornings. Although only cold breakfasts are available for delivery, there are several choices. One morning, I ordered the 'cottage cheese with tropical fruit plate". I requested yogourt as a replacement for cottage cheese, specified pineapple, mango, blueberrieis and strawberries and one cinnamon roll in additin to my tea and juice. What a delightful suprise when I opened the breakfast hamper to see this huge plate of the sumpuous fruits just as ordered, 2 cups of yogourt, 3 cinnamon rolls, juice and a selection of tea. It was terrific!! - especially with the beautiful sea - just steps from my room. I have also had wine and a cheese/sausage platter delivered in the afternoon. It must remembered that caneel's rooms are scattered amonf a 150+ acre penninsula, and food must be delivered via a golf cart' consequently. one cannot expectthe same assortment of room service choices as one expects in a room connected mega hotel complex.

I believe that it is Caneel's philosophy, not to disturb guests unless asked. Hence, placing their ice cooler outside your door is a signal that you want ice. I did this several t a day, and I always returned to my room to find it filled.

I find that Caribbean staff members can be equally as friendly as those from the mainland. Again, I feel that they do not want to disturb their guests. Upon innitiating the conversation, I find how much I can learn, and that we all share much in common especially home and family.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:07 AM

Diane-welcome back!! I am looking forward to reading your report on Jumby!
It looks like you might have had some wet days!

I too love Caneel. The breakfast hamper is lovely. I also find the staff very reserved, non intrusive, really that is how I prefer. They do get most things right! The problem I have is they miss some of the little things-wet towels left on Paradise Beach for days, paper cups, non guests on Paradise and Scott-they are easy to spot, very busy lunches, as our favorite the beach bar is a zoo and what was the most annoying-catering to groups during high season prices (mid-January) where they had the hospitality set up on the patio. They should have taken a room-lots close to the Pavillion.
We go to Caneel for its ambience, I really miss the snorkeling, and its beaches. We have been there 6 times,
and we will go back. I just honestly
feel- that Rosewood has built a reputation that they do not deserve at Caneel. This was very clear to me as I meet guests who come to Jumby because it is a Rosewood Hotel!
Anyhow we are off to Cap and Jumby next week. It will all go too fast!
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 07:30 AM

Penny,

At Caneel, it rained a half day only, but there were showers at night, and quite a few overcast days. At Jumby, there were afternoon showers almost daily. The previous November, I experienced 7 days of monsoon-like rain 24 hours each day. (I felt that having to eat the seafood umbrella while holding an unbrella, was too realistic for my taste.) I am beginning to think that November is not a good month to go - possibly may try December. I have met a small group of friends there, and we try to coincide our time there.

I did not experience any liter during my stay, but I primarily used Turtle and Hawksnest and only briefly visited Scott. I do know from my past experience that day trips from St. Thomas use Paradise Beach, and that could explain what you saw. I did not see debris on Scotts, but now that you mentioned it, there appeared to be more people than usual. It is probably difficult to control.

I guess that I have gone there enough that the staff knows me, and I feel very comfortable and at home there - besides I love the snorkeling there.

Have a good time at Jumby and Cap.

Diane