Caneel

Jan 12th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Caneel

Can you spend the day at Caneel Bay if you are not a quest? Not to use the pool, but perhaps get something to eat near the beach and snorkel.
Jan 12th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Yes. Non-guests may be required to register, and may eat lunch and/or breakfast at the Terrace Restaurant or lunch at the beach bar. I recommend the latter because the food is less expensive and still very good. It is located in the main building accessible by a footpath from the taxi parking area. There is also a nice restroom and changing areas. Beach use is restricted to Caneel Beach which is next to the restaurant. It is a lovely beach, with clear, calm water. Very good snorkeling can be had along the rock side to the right as you face the water. Honeymoon Beach may be available to non-guests, but I am not sure. It too is lovely, but snorkeling is better at Caneel Beach. All other beaches are restricted to guests.

You can have a wonderful, fun, relaxing day there. I hope you enjoy it.
Jan 12th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I have been to other beaches on the island, we will be on a cruise ship this time and will not have a car. Just wondering how the beach & snorkeling compare to other locations in St John. I only want to make 1 beach stop as the time is limited.

ML
Jan 12th, 2004, 08:58 AM

The beach terrace is a great place to have lunch. Anyone can eat here,so you do not have to register. Caneel Beach is lovely, and so is Honeymoon Beach. I think these two beaches are open to the public. I think you do have to register to use the changing facilities. Have never snorkeled at Trunk Bay etc, but I can tell you the snokeling is great at Caneel. Lots of stingrays, turtles,
and even a baracuda under the dock. Dianebridle if by chance you read this -
How was Jumby, and Caneel on your last trip. I know you must have had some bad weather!
Jan 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM
caribtraveler

yes you can use the main beach and we had breakfast at caneel as well. i don't believe day visitors are allowed on the other beaches but i could be wrong. you can't use the lounge chairs on the main beach but we did because there were maybe 2 other couples on the beach. the attendant came by and didn't say anything to us, probably because we weren't taking chairs away from caneel guests.

Jan 12th, 2004, 10:30 AM

To Penny,

Weather was horrible at Caneel. After seven days of non-stop monsoon type rains, and despite free flowing champagne and bloddy Marys, I checked the weather map to discover that most of the Caribbean including Antigua was experiencing similar weather.
I then decided to head home. Jumby Bay was very accommodating and I was able to rebook my reservation for this November after another Caneel stay. Everyone seems to say that this drenching was a freak incident; however, if I experience it again, I will opt for another time in the future. Thanks for thinking of me and inquiring.

Diane
Jan 12th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Diane, I can imagine how awful it was, especially at Caneel where you walk, or wait for the jitney, or go up to the Taxi stand. We have had a few rainy days each stay at Caneel, you get very wet. I cannot imagine being at Jumby during the bad weather either. We came in on the tail end of the weather at Cap Juluca on November 14. I had watched the weather storms from Puerto Rico south for days and days. It just did not move. It was breaking up when we arrived, then turned around for 2 more days. Finally we had nice weather, went on to Jumby and had perfect weather. From the air
going into Antigua there were lots of lttle lakes! Amazing. I love November too!
Jan 13th, 2004, 01:36 AM

Penny,

Thanks again. I will post a report upon my return. I will also let you know how I liked LIAT since I will be able to use my unused ticket for the upcoming trip.

I was told by someone who lives on St. John, that often they are not on schedule, and sometimes even make a stop at a non-scheduled island. As a result, when I return, I decided to spend a couple of extra days at Morningstar on St. Thomas soas not to worry about not making my flight home. Your input has been most appreciated.

Diane