Search

Camping on Jamaica

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Steven

Camping on Jamaica

hello all!<BR><BR>everybody seems to have stayed in a resort/hotel while on vacation in jamaica...<BR>i was thinking, instead of spending 2 weeks in a fine hotel, to travel around and camp in a tent for about 6 weeks, so i can see the whole island and be able to go and stay where i like it for the same money...<BR><BR>any guidance, advice, remarks, opinions,... would be MUCH appreciated here!<BR><BR>thanks in advance!

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:47 AM
tivertonhouse

There are very few places to camp in Jamaica -- fact is, you'll be rather scorned and assumed to be a German hippie if you camp. It's also NOT safe to camp out in Jamaica. And the North Coast (MoBay to Ochee) as well as Negril probably should not be your route. You might try cabin and cottage accomodations up in the mountains a tEsau Kerr's BLUE HOLE GARDENS or oceanside at Bluefields Bay/Belmont at HORIZON (see jamaicaescapes.com) or Frankie and Rosie's SHAFSTON GREAT HOUSE near Bluefields Bay;then,head along the South Coast for inexpensive guest houses like IRIE REST in Treasure Beach (see treasurebeach.net). You won't be able to see the whole island in just 6 weeks and still savor it. 4-5 days at each of the places above plus a day travelling between each should give you a taste and time to decide whether to stay longer at any one. Ultimately, you'll want to spend at least two weeks in Port Antonio (Palmer's Guest house is a good option)<BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:32 AM
rebecca

There are so places to caamp and I have seen some campers along some remote beaches but...<BR>There are wonderful inexpensive options. Great thatched huts etc that you could use instead. <BR>What are you interested in seeing? Night? Live reggae music? Do you want to hike, mountain bike?<BR>If I were you I'd go to Jamiacans.com which is a nice board that has a topic of "adventure travel".<BR>A lot of repeat travelers there. <BR><BR>There is a little place in Little Bay called Uncle Sam's that has camping and sometimes has a full moon party that ends in a candle lit bat cave....<BR>Have a great time in JA.<BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:23 AM
cdt

I noticed that the Lonely Planet guidebook for Jamaica has information on a number of camping spots.<BR><BR>Personally I wouldn't do it, but maybe if I was 19 again.....<BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:23 AM
tivertonhouse

Ask a Jamaican.You want to wake up to the morning sky when you've gone to sleep with a tent over your idea? By all means, go camping in Jamaica. Your largesse in brining in so many fine new things to be thieved will be wll appreciated. There ARE places to camp -- but no one in their right mind would do so, Lonely Planet notwithstanding.

Old May 26th, 2002, 06:51 AM
steven

Tivertonhouse: Thanks very much for all the info! Its not that i MUST sleep in a tent, but i thought it was the best solution... But looking at the places you recommended, i think i'll make use of something like Irie Rest... I dont need any luxury, just a place to sleep and to leave my stuff so i dont have to drag it around all the time. About the thieving, well, that can happen anywhere, and except a pair of shorts and a few books there wont be anything to thieve...<BR><BR>Rebecca: My main reasons for chosing Jamaica is the fact that I really love carribean nature, climate & attitude (visited Cuba once) and that i LOVE the sweet reggae vibes, so I indeed hope to be able to do some live concerts. I dont have much expectations besides that and just wanna go there and go with the flow...

Old May 27th, 2002, 11:29 AM
rastagirl

Hi Steven, I live in Jamaica and could not agree more with Tiverton. Jamaica is a lush gorgeous country with all the good vibes that you seek but you DO NOT CAMP out. I can tell that you're not a typical tourist and are going to be low key etc. so have fun and book those cottages in advance. You're stuff will be fine, you'll have a place to chill and won't have to worry about anything but enjoying yourself. <BR>May I repeat though, don't camp, Jamaica is a lot of things but a place to camp out is not one of them. Jah love.

Old May 28th, 2002, 02:47 AM
tivertonhouse

Stevenennie at Irie Rest will take good care of you;the Treasure Beach area is spot-on for the kind of travel you enjoy. Contrast it with a trip up to Portee/it's gonna be a long charter taxi ride,but the destination is well worth the aggro.