St. Thomas Armed Robberies

Apr 24th, 2002, 11:05 AM
xxxx

St. Thomas Armed Robberies

I've been seeing numerous articles about armed robberies taking place in the shopping area on the island of St. Thomas. Should travelers reconsider coming to St. Thomas for a day of shopping?

Apr 24th, 2002, 11:22 AM
vickie

We shopped all day last Friday in St. Thomas throughout the Charlotte-Amalie area. We also had lunch in town, too. We didn't have a problem. I think it's a good idea to be just as cautious in St. Thomas as you would walking around any city. The only thing that bothered me while shopping in town was the jewelery store sales people who would stand on the sidewalk outside their shops trying to get people into their stores. Other than that, we loved the cheap prices and no sales tax!

Apr 24th, 2002, 11:29 AM
traveler

We were there recently and spent one day in Town shopping and were in Town a couple of other times for dinner but not walking alone late at night or in the wee hours of the morning where tourists would not normally go. It was not a problem and it was not the horrid experience I expected and been told about. With all those people around I felt very safe and was

Apr 24th, 2002, 08:25 PM
David

Carnival Cruise Lines just announced they will no longer stop in St. Croix because of continuing crimes against passengers. That's a loss of about $34 Million for the USVI. Here's an article describing that, as well as the crime rate statistics:

http://www.onepaper.com/stthomasvi/?v=d&i=&s=News%3ALocal&p=50251

Crime remains an issue there, so just exercise much more caution that usual.

Apr 26th, 2002, 03:16 AM
Cheryl

Sure hope crime hasn't gotten that bad in St. Croix, as we plan on going there in a few weeks! Now I am concerned!!
HELP

Apr 26th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Ronnie

It seems that Carnival's pulling out of St. Croix had other underlying reasons. They are upset with the VI Governmant for not giving them carte blanche for developing the Crown Bay dock in St. Thomas. They had asked the police for more protection and received it as evidenced in the police retort to the situation in the link below. There are always two sides to every story!
Ronnie
http://www.dailynews.vi/storydetail.asp?storyid=5117

Apr 26th, 2002, 04:39 AM
cdt

Cheryl - Don't worry about your trip; just exercise some caution, as you would on most Caribbean islands.

There are many places with crime problems, some worse than St. Croix, some arguably not as bad. For instance: Jamaica, Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, St. Martin, St. Lucia, Mexico.

I'm very careful on St. Croix after dark - pretty much stay at your hotel, or take a recommended taxi to a recommended restaurant.

Daytime isn't much of a problem, but avoid neighborhoods that look iffy to you, and don't go to isolated locations where there's no one else around.

Personally, I don't see much reason to spend time in Frederiksted, but the historic portions of Christiansted are definitely worth a daytime visit. And whatever you do, don't miss Buck Island!

Apr 27th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Cheryl

Hi Thanks for your help as I do get hesitant from all you hear. Is is OK to go to Christianstead in the evening for dinner as I gather there are quite a few restaurants there, which ones do you recommend? Also, we will be renting a car, but do you think it is better to drive ourselvesto the restaurant, if we might be coming back after dark, or should be take a taxi?

May 3rd, 2002, 06:48 PM
Karen

Why would you even consider going somewhere that you have to ask if it's safe to go out in the evening for dinner?

May 4th, 2002, 08:44 AM
nofan

Just returned from a week on St. Croix. Being from NYC, we know the rules for staying "alert" etc. On more than one occasion (early evening) in Christiansted, we felt ourselves to be in danger. Am not surprised to learn that Carnival is pulling out. We didn't expect to feel so unsafe at a well known tourist destination. Whole experience there was very disappointing. Would not recommend St. Croix to anyone!

May 4th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Cheryl

Just curious when you were in Christiansted did you go you there for dinner, and did you drive yourself, or take a taxi. We have plans to go in a couple of weeks, and would like to go there for dinner on a couple of nights, and we were planning on renting a car, but are reconsidering. Thinking maybe it would be better to take a taxi to the restaurants. Please advise. Thanks.

May 4th, 2002, 02:09 PM
lisa

This St Croix nonsense is amazing to me. Carnival had many reasons for ending the stops in St Croix but crime was not at the top of the list. The crime rate in St Thomas is much higher but they won't pull out because it's such an in demand island.
We go to St Croix three times a year, are planning to retire there in 7 years and take exactly the same precautions we do at home. That only means common sense! Please visit beautiful St Croix, enjoy the beaches, snorkeling, history and the world class dining. If you're afraid, please stay home in Seacaucus or Duluth or Boston or Toledo, I'm sure you're much safer there!

May 4th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Ronnie

Just curious NoFan. You let your feelings of being unsafe make you not recommend St. Croix to anyone. You care to expound on these feelings or did something actually happen?
I usually feel unsafe every time I get on a plane to fly, but still fly, even though my feelings tell me otherwise, knowing full well is the safest mode of transportation. If I followed my feelings, I probably wouldn't fly!
So, maybe it's was your expectation of something bad happening to you, because of the nonsense that you read here, that made you feel that way!
Ronnie

May 4th, 2002, 05:42 PM
nofan

First off - Hi Cheryl, we enjoyed having the rental car.No problem with driving on the island, in fact would recommend so that you're free to travel at your own pace and can visit some of the places that you wouldn't think of seeing if limited to taxi travel. Restaurants we enjoyed were "Indies" and "Savant". Savant has own parking lot, and we found parking close to Indies on the two occasions we went there. We also enjoyed a decent meal at The Terrace at The Buccaneer one evening, and dinner at Villa Madeline was okay too. Second - Lisa - what an angry response. Personal preference is all we're talking here. I hope you enjoy your retirement - St. Croix certainly seems like a place more suited to the more mature visitor. And.... finally, Ronnie - I rarely feel unsafe when I fly (which is something I do most every week, both nationally and internationally). My reasons for not recommending St. Croix didn't stem just from feeling unsafe. (FYI - this was my first visit to the Fodors Travel Talk site, so I hadn't read any of the "nonsense" that you mention before visiting the island.) We just didn't find much to get excited about there. People not exactly tourist friendly (with the odd exception), service mediocre, scenery so-so, beaches and activities poor, except for Buck Island. I don't want to get into a snippy back and forth email exchange, but very disappointed with the whole experience (and I did a LOT of research - online, offline before going). I think a lot of people from the US will be drawn to the USVI after 9/11. For my money, if you're set on one of the USV islands, you're better off in St. John if you're looking for natural beauty and less surly/begrudging service. That's all. No axe to grind, just telling it like we found it. Thanks.

May 4th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Cheryl

NoFan, Thanks for your HONEST reply, really appreciate it Have never been before and just don't know what to expect, looking forward to just relaxing, some real r& r. Have been to Aruba, people were real nice there, don't really care, as long as we can relax. Don't understand why people have to get so defensive, this is supposed to be a board to help people, or so I thought???? Anyway, thanks again.

May 4th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Ronnie

Well NoFan, I am not engaging in a back and forth argument. You have answered my question. I now see that you had other reasons, but before only stated feeling unsafe. Thanks for the clarification. Sorry you weren't treated as you are accustomed to or expected. Hopefully someone from St. Croix will take note of this.
Ronnie

May 5th, 2002, 05:20 PM
ConsiderTheSource

Ronnie owns property in the VI, so keep in mind he's here and on every other Carib board to downplay anything that could impact his income.

Bottom line ==> Carnival stated crime was one reason for their pullout.

May 5th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Ronnie

I neverled anyone to believe that I have no economic stake in the Virgin Islands. A year or so ago I happened onto a message board that had folks answering questions about the VI that they had no idea about. I started answering to the bestof my abilty to help. I have since found many boards and do try and help on those too.
This board, however, seems to have many people that want to continue to bash one island or the other. There does not seem to be any sort of monitor and lots of folks do write some nasty things.
When Nofan wrote that because of their feelings of fear that they would not return to St. Croix I thought it odd, they have since said thattheyfound theplace to be unfriendly, and that's the real reason why they won't return. I can I accept that. I would not return either. I stated that I hope that someonein St. Croix should take note of this and try and correct it. I really find no no offense in what I was sayingand don't see why owningproperty has anyrthing to do with it. Your email address, if correct shows that you are at CVOA.com which is Caribbean Villa Owners Assn, so it seems that you too have property somewhere in the Caribbean and may have some reason to be writing what you do. So be it.
In regard to the Carnival issue. Yes, they stated that the reason that they were pulling out was because of crime. There was another article that I posted the link to that showes a different story about that situation.I showed another side and I understand there are other unpublished issues to be delt with that may have also prompted the pullout.There are people like David1019, whomever that may be,that think it is necessary to let everyone know about these things. The same way I feel it is necessary to show both sides, simple enough. Now please try and get back to answering questions about travel. Thank you.
Ronnie

May 6th, 2002, 04:58 AM
cdt

Having visited St. Thomas and St. Croix multiple times, I don't believe there is a significant difference in the severity of the crime problem on the two islands.

I prefer the beaches on St. Thomas, plus the access to St. John, Tortola, etc. On St. Croix we have had the good fortune of staying at a relative's house. If you're staying in a hotel, the Buccaneer is far and away the best place to be.

May 6th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Joe

Ronnie,

that link you posted doesn't work. Could you post the correct link? Also, what is your financial interest in the VI? Do you rent property? And what do you have against David1019 for posting a link to some info that might help
people on this forum?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO