Bugs on Anguilla?

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bugs on Anguilla?

After having traveled to various Caribbean islands, I know I am prone to being eaten alive by no-see-ums, etc. Some islands are definitely worse than others...so I have to ask...has anyone had problems with bug bites on Anguilla?

For me, St John was the worst and Provo was the best. I definitely want to be prepared when we go to Anguilla in a couple weeks. Thanks in advance!!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:44 AM
ALR

To avoid problems, buy Mosquito Milk at Anguilla Drug Store or any hotel gift shop. Use it on ankles before you go out to dinner. Depending where you stay, your room may have mosquito coils that are plugged in during turn down service. There may be Off in the room and it is available behind the bar at most restaurants. If you take Claritin, you'll hardly know if you've been bitten.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM

Have been to both anguilla & st.john in the month of april-may & have not ever had a problem with bites.. but that's me. Have read about mosquito milk on many forums..sounds like a winner try it out!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM

My husband in particular has had a lot of trouble with the no-see-ums. He got eaten alive the year before last. Use the mosquito milk as suggested.
One note, we always stay at Cuisinart and they brought in a well known bug expert to try and eliminate the no-see-ums. Last year it was much improved.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Darn...and I thought Anguilla was going to be PERFECT! I really appreciate your responses.

I learned the hard way after camping for 2 weeks in St John while in college. The only long sleeve shirt/long pants I had were what I wore down on the plane. I had to wear those same clothes every day from 4pm on...and sleep in the as well. And I still got eaten alive. Needless to say I wanted to burn the clothes when I got home!

So I am a little worried now about my kiddos and me on Anguilla. We're staying at Shoal Bay Villas so I doubt there will be a bug expert like Cuisinart had. Oh well...we'll tough it out and make sure we try some of that mosquito milk!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:17 AM

if you are extremely worried abotu bugs, then do not vacation in the Caribbean. How could you expect any place in the Caribbean to be bug free?
you come for nature..nature includes bugs.
but the mosquito milk really does work wonders.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM

We went to Parrot Cay in T&C last year, and I don't remember encountering bugs. We're going to Cap Juluca this year, and I hope the bugs aren't too bad.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM

I have good news for all you bug worriers. We just got back from Cuisinart on Anguilla. I posted that our experience was better last year after buying the mosquito milk.
(husband is the one that just gets eaten alive) I'm happy to report with application of mosquito milk before the beach and before dinner at night he only got two bites this year!!! Just use the milk and you should be fine.
We had a wonderful time!!!!
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 12:57 PM

She didn't say she was "extremely" worried, just a "little". I think it's a fine question....some islands are MUCH worse than others and if the noseeums love you like they love me it can be miserable.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM

On my way to Isla Boca Brava in Panama, supossedly has tons of no-seeums....
What and where can you buy Mousquito Milk?
Thanx!
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM

I can Answer my own question,did a search, too high in Deet for the kids, Thanx.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 08:38 AM

I was in Anguilla in January this year and was not bothered by bugs at all - the Christmas winds kept them away - I recall that I only saw one mosquito the entire trip.