Anguilla and the Bugs

Jul 16th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Anguilla and the Bugs

After reading many posts I see that the evenings can be buggy. Is this seasonsal? When is the time of year it wont be a problem, or is this one of the prices of paradise at Anguilla?
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:48 AM

It's not nearly as bad as the lusher islands -- about 4 years ago, Anguilla got serious with a "Veto the Mosquito" program that has been quite successful. That said, we use a Deet product in the evening as all of the bars and restaurants are open air. We use a Belgian product available on the islands called Mosquito Milk -- the Anguilla Drugstore & resort gift shops carry it. It's got 8 hour protection against mosquitoes & sand flies & it saved our vacation in St. Barts (seriously -- I thought my husband was going to leave on the next plane). Nice odor, a roll-on, no greasy residue (geez, I sound like an infomercial). You won't need it all day long; just use it in the evening & have a great time!
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:02 PM

You can buy mosquito milk on line at bioconcepts.co.uk
It comes from Britan, but I have bought from the UK on line before and it is not a problem.
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ladies. When was the most recent time you were there, and where did you stay? I am assuming here you don't live on the island.....
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:31 PM

No I don't live there but I sure wish I did
We were there this past November. We stayed at Cap and absolutely fell in love with Anguilla.

We are returning this November and are again staying at Cap Juluca - We loved it so much we bookedout trip very soon after returning home! We managed to squeak in a few more days and stay for 10 this year.

Maybe it was the time we were there, but I did not ntice a bug problem. I actually had less bites than when I am home (summer months). But Anguilla tends to be on the dry side so maybe its not the best place for mosquitos!
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Traditionally, in all but the ABC islands, the month or two following the fall rains (November seems about the worst) is the worst for mosquitoes and the most annoying of the other bugs. Late December to August are generally dry and reasonably mosquito free. The breezier and less lush the island, the less of a problem, even in the worst of times.
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:14 AM

Also there last November for the 7th time -- going again for 2 weeks this Nov. We stay 1/2 time at Frangipani on Meads Bay & 1/2 time in a villa on the other side of the island.
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:12 AM

MaryD:

I am really interested in the possibility of a villa in Aguilla (it even sounds cool to SAY it!). Thus far, I've only stayed at Cap Juluca there. Which villa have you stayed at? What's the experience like compared to staying at a resort? Is your villa near Cinnamon Reef? The one I've researched is La Petite Maison d'Amour. Do you know anything about it? I've never stayed at a villa anywhere, so I'm really wondering if I'll be happy. Any and all information or opinion is appreciated.
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Check out Seaclusion & Fletch's Cove -- both across from Cinnamon Reef in Little Harbour. people also rave about 18 Degrees North. We stay at Mainstay, the villa next to La Petite Maison D'Amour. It looks cute but small & no pool (plus I've heard that it doesn't have screens). www.news.ai has a complete villa listing ("villas" at the top of the home page) & mycaribbean.com has them listed by size, price & features (both link to web sites).

We like to go to a resort first because we are usually totally fried & in need of a restaurant, bar, helpful staff, etc. on the premises. A few years ago, we started going to villas for a week & it's a nice contrast. Very, very private & a feeling of "being home" -- we've had some dinners catered; we have drinks around the pool before we go out -- it's different & very nice.
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:22 PM

Thanks MaryD. Great insights. How close are other homes, villas, etc. to any of the villas in your message; it's so hard to get a feel for privacy in the pictures? Fletch's Cove does look intriguing and I'll check out Seaclusion. When you say Mainstay is next to La Petite Maison D'Amour, what does "next to" imply? What are the beaches around there like compared to Maundy's or Mead's and to what extent are they shared with other villas, homes, hotels, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Jul 17th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Mary, Sandy, Steve- thanks very much for your feedback. This island does sound exactly like what I need for my next vacation. Did the Atlantis thing last time (fantastic and then some) but this time lookin' to dig my toes in the sand, empty some beer bottles and be left alone for a week. Will be looking more closely at CAP J; suggestions on who to book through and who not? Do they have an airport? What airlines serve them? Have huge amounts of FFM to use up on Continental.
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:13 PM

To Steve: by "next to" I mean 50-75 yards. Many villas appear to be on an acre of land & there's quite a distance to your neighbors. HOWEVER, in Anguilla villas can't be on the beach directly -- that land is reserved for resorts. Many have great views & some (like in Little Harbour) have access to water and/or are a VERY short walk. I think mycaribbean.com lists the beaches closest to each villa & the distance to it. None are directly on beaches like Maundays or Rendezvous or Meads.

To Rob: St. Martins is the nearest large airport -- 6 miles (a 20 minute ferry ride)-- the Eagle flies into Anguilla. I don't know if Continental goes to St. Martin but I know that American & USAirways have daily flights.
Jul 18th, 2003, 04:22 AM

Rob:

You can fly directly to Anguilla from San Juan. Not sure what equipment they use now, but it used to be ATR's, i.e., a very comfortsble good-sized turbo-prop. If you fly to St. Martin, another option (that I prefer over the ferry) is to take the flight (small 8-15-passenger prop plane) from St. Martin to Anguilla. It is the only flight I know of where you can see where you are going to land before you take off. It's not expensive and when you compare it to the cab fare and ferry fare, it's barely more than taking the ferry. Best of all, during the flight, you get a great view of Anguilla. I'd say it's the most enjoyable flight I've ever taken.

By the way, it is great to stump your friends and ask them how many miles separate the United Kingdom from France and, when they say 24 miles (or whatever the width of the English Channel is) and you come back with "less than 5 miles".