Search

bugs in the Carribean

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:13 AM
mmcliff56

bugs in the Carribean

I would like someone to comment on the amount of mosquitos and various bugs in the Carribean islands. If anyone has any info. regarding problems of this nature. I am talking about the first week in November. I'm from Minnesota so it is an issue.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on which island you go to! If it is mountainous, you may get some interesting creatures. One time in St.John, we were renting a villa on a mountainside and saw some millipede-type creatures in the house....just a few, but it still creeped me out alittle. Most of the time, you're really just dealing with Geckos scurrying around outside...but they are kinda cute! We have never had any mosquito or anyother biting bug problems.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM

November should not be a big bug month, again depending on what island you are going to. I have never seen a mosquito in the Bahamas in November, but I would guess the further south in the carribean you may find some critters.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Sunnyboy

There are so many islands it is difficult to give you a specifc answer to your question. You can encounter mosquitos and no-see-ums on just about every island but they are rearly a problem. They are most prevelent after periods of prolonged rains, up in the mountains and rain forests and on certain beaches just after dusk. You can easily avoid mosquitos and no-see-ums by refraining from using perfumes, scented powders, colognes, after shaves, etc. and by spraying a good insect repellant around your ankles and wrists. Most people recommend something with DEET but others have had great success with products like Avon's Skin-So-Soft. In general, November is not a peak time for mosquitos and other pests. Of course as with any general statements there are always exceptions and you are dealing here with mother nature so any type of prediction as to the level of bugs you will encounter on any given island during any given one week period is questionable a best.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:55 AM

I've lived in the Caribbean for nearly 12 years and the only bug problems I've ever encountered is mosquitos immediately after a hurricane and flying ants on nights when there is no trace of a breeze. The flying ants tend to gravitate to light, so they are only a problem if you are sitting under a light outside or have an open villa.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Are you kidding? With all due respect, you are traveling to a tropical climate. Maybe you should try a more arid climate if bugs are an issue, i.e. desert.

Peace, Greenie
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:54 PM
TG

This question always amazes me. Being from New England we have a wicked mosquito problem and black fly season is even worse.
In my 7 trips to the tropics, not including other trips to Florida I have never found the bugs as bad as here.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:00 PM

The caribbean has the same bugs as simlilar tropical islands. Bugs can be reduced by keeping surroundings clean. Stay away from unkept premises. Always spray rooms with bug spray at night, close all windows and doors and go for a 30 minute walk.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:51 PM

mmcliff56
If you are worried about bugs and mosquitos will be you worst foe I wouldn't recommend the tropics. There are no places that are better than others, its hit or miss...recent rains have an affect, altitude (if your on a hillside or seaside) and wind as for other crawling critters who cares, most don't bite.