Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Bring your expensive watch or leave it at home?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I've got an expensive watch which has lots of sentimental as well as monetary value. I wear it everywhere, every day.<BR><BR>I'm wondering if I should leave this watch at home or bring it with me on my trip to Virgin Gorda. If anybody has any comments or suggestions I'd be glad to hear.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:32 PM

It depends where you are staying and if you are insured. I always bring my watch and jewelry if there are safes and there will be opportunities to be dressed up. If not, I would leave it home.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:09 PM

<BR>Whenever I travel I just pick up a Timex Triathelon sport model (usually around $19 to $29) at Wal-Mart. Totally waterproof, wear it swimming and everywhere. Lost, broken, scratched, stolen.... WHO CARES!!!!! It's called a vacation and a cheapo watch, no jewellery is just one thing less to worry about.<BR><BR>Don't Worry, Be Happy, Kick Back &amp; Chill Out.<BR><BR>Steve
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Because the watch is of extreme sentimental value to you, I would think twice before bringing it, but there are lots of folks who would say otherwise. Even if it's insured, though, you wouldn't really be able to replace what it means to you. <BR><BR>If you already wear it every day, though, it may be just as easy to take it along with you. Do you wear it in the water (pool, shower) normally? If you've never worn it in salt water there's a chance that it could have an adverse effect on the finish.<BR><BR>Virgin Gorda is a pretty laid back place and you wouldn't have to worry about being mugged there, or even about having it stolen...<BR><BR>Basically, do whatever brings you a greater peace of mind.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Jed

The odds are against anything happening to it. But still, there is the possibility, and I am always against taking valuables when it is not necessary. Leaving it home for the time when you are away means one less thing to worry about. I would rather not have it for a few days than not have it anymore.<BR><BR>When you come back, please return to this post telling us what you did and how it turned out.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:31 AM

I reside in the British Virgin Islands. I own a watch which is expensive and is a gift from my husband. I wear my watch everywhere, 365 days without a second It has never occured to me not to take it when I travel, which is fairly often. I love my watch, why should I not wear it. Of course, I exercise common sense - I do not go into the sea with it even though it is water proof and I certainly will not leave it lying around carelessly. Other than that, it is an everyday part of me. Virgin Gorda is a pleasant safehaven, does'nt get much safer than that - I cannot fathom why you would want not to bring and wear your watch there as you would at home. Just let common sense prevail in caring for it - just as you would at home.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:52 AM

I agree 100% with Enya.<BR>I received an expensive watch from my husband for my birthday 5 years ago.<BR>It has been 100 feet deep with me diving, and all over the Caribbean.<BR>It's funny, when I first got it, I would take it off to shower, now I never even give it a second thought.<BR>If it's waterproof and you won't be taking it off during the trip, I say wear it and enjoy it.<BR>(Plus, they look great with a tan!)