Search

Bopping around Antigua

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bopping around Antigua

Spent 2 weeks in Antigua. Highly recommend 'JUST RIGHT' car rental. Call JR at 268.464.0668 or 560.4506. Spotless, new vehicles, very reasonable rates. Sticky Wicket pristene new bldg at airport; casual dining/drinks;ask for Marvis the chef. Check out Godfrey/proprietor of 3Martini beachbar to catch sunset and fabulous food at Crabbe Hill, 460.9306; also apt rentals available. Visit the quaint Catamaran Hotel hideaway in Falmouth. Long standing family name with the boating populous. Many, many repeat customers. Immaculate. 268.460.1036. Feona the owner serves up one mean barbeque for the guests on Tuesdays. While in that area check out LIFE on the water for drinks. Take it easy at Jolly Harbour Villas. Ask for Liam. Spacious townhouse layout. Supermarket and stores within 10 min walk or popular to rent golf cart. Only 5 min walk to the beach (and Castaways beachbar) if near Southfinger side as opposed to Northfinger a bit more. - [email protected]
Downtown St Johns favorite spot is Hemingways upstairs overlooking the goings on - going on. Look for hardcover book with exquisite photos - Antigua & Barbuda; a piece of Paradise. Already looking forward to next years return trip. Will try to visit Barbuda. Have seen it so far from a helicopter ride. Tell any of the vendors you may call or visit that Deb and Tony from Boston sent you. Ciao for now.

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Glad to read you enjoyed Antigua so much. It's one of my favorite places to visit, but I'm not familiar with some of the establishments you named. Can you give more info about 3 Martini and Crabbe Hill?
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:10 AM

I admit that I, too, love Antigua and always enjoy reading trip reports from people saying what a good time they had. Thanks for taking the time to do so.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

ej-This property is near OJ's, Gibsons, and the Blue Heron Hotel. 3Martini is on this stretch, opposite the beach side on the hillside. You are up just high enough to overlook the ocean. Some years ago it was Casa Nova. I believe Davide' ran it with the help of his wife and dad straight from the old country. 3Martini's cook - she is fabulous! Meals made to order if desired. Don't leave without trying their rum cake. Only a handful made on island each day from a local baker. A real treat! Sixteen new condo type units are currently in the works to be built on this hillside next to 3Martini (also by 3Martini)
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:16 AM

Back from two weeks in Antigua on Feb 25th. This is the first time that Fodor Talk did not match my experience. Everywhere else I went I felt I had nothing to add when I returned. This time there were a few surprises and I feel I disagree with some of the talk:
Restaurants: Harmony Hall is as good as everybody says but Catherine's Cafe on the slipway in the boat yard in English Harbour, which hardly got a mention, was my favourite. - French cooking, mostly shell fish in a beautiful location. US$120 for two plus US$20 for a reasonable bottle of Sauvignon Blanc.
Fodor Talk had me well prepared for the roads but not for the Airport or St Johns' open sewers or the hundreds (my wife counted) of abandoned cars and general lack of repairs and maintenance throughout the island. Despite that, we enjoyed the great weather, sea and people and the only reason we may not be back is because the best hotels are All Inclusive only and, even if they were not, I would be afraid to drive more than a mile or two at night to a good restaurant. With the possible exception of Blue Waters, I don’t think my requirements can be met.
Other points :
Golf: The Cedar Valley golf course is not well maintained but good enough for holiday golf whereas the Jolly Harbour course is very bad.
Cost: As warned by Fodor Talk, Antigua is expensive e.g. a three star hotel in Antigua is the same price as the five star Four Seasons in Buenos Aires but then Argentina is the cheapest competitive destination for Feb. South Africa, also a competitor in Feb, is also cheaper than Antigua. However, Antigua beats both on weather, sea and flight time (from Europe).
Currency: Both EC$ and US$ are used together – prices are quoted mostly in EC$ but payment can be in either or a mixture of both currencies at a fixed rate of about 2.6 EC$ to a US$. Change is given mostly in EC$ but not always. But concentrate – I gave a petrol attendant US$25 plus tip and asked him for twenty-five dollars worth of petrol. The pump showed $25 but of course I forgot it was EC$25 and the attendant kept the US$25 plus tip which I gave him without comment.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:03 AM

travelgetaways, thanks for following up about 3 Martini. I'll look into it the next time I'm down there.

Foley, I'm not familiar with Catherine's Cafe. Had you heard anything about it before your travels, or did someone on island recommend it to you? I'll definitely inquire about it the next time I'm there. English Harbour and Falmouth are areas I would like to explore more, as there seems to be a lot going on. From your post I can't tell if you stayed at Blue Waters or not. What kind of places do you seek out for a holiday?
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:04 AM

In reply to ejcrowe:
Catherine's Cafe was mentioned twice in Fodor, or maybe it was in Tripadviser. It is difficult to find and that is probably why it was not mentioned more often. Diners mostly come by tender from the boats in English Harbour. The ‘phone number is 460-5050. It was full each time we went there for lunch so a reservation is advisable.
I did not stay at Blue Waters because it was full when I tried to make a reservation but I did visit it and it looked ok and, because it is near Le Bistro and Coco Nut Grove, it might meet my requirements which are: 5 star accommodation (B&B or apartment) within easy driving distance from a few good restaurants. My problem with Antigua is that the good restaurants are spread out over the island and most 5 stars are All Inclusive only. I would not feel comfortable driving more than a few miles at night given the state of the cars, roads, signage, lighting and general style of driving. I have no problem driving during the day but if I were to go again I would rent a 4x4 instead of the Toyota Yaris that I had – there was one hill in particular that I was never sure I would scale because of the holes and loose gravel/boulders!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Thanks, Foley. Have you checked out the relatively new Carlisle Bay hotel? It might suit your needs, anad since it's on the south coast it's not such a bad drive from Falmouth.

I'm a Long Bay girl myself, which is definitely on the rustic side. What I saw of Blue Waters looked very nice and well-kept, but a little too resort-y for my own personal tastes. I love Le Bistro, but my own favorite is lunch at Harmony Hall.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:48 PM

What's Antigua like in Dec/Jan? Is there good snorkelling off the beach?
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

JOFRANKLIN - sorry, can't help you there.
To: FOLEY - I agree that the good restaraunts are totally scattered throughout this island. That's part of the reason we enjoyed staying at three different locations during our 2week visit. It is a challenge to say the least in going it on your own & seeking out the less noted establishments. We got a different opinion from each cabbie we asked. We always count on finding the UPDATED complimentary Angiguan handbook that at least offers you the total description and location of each place. You can visit a place one year and the next year it can be very changed. There are at least 40 low rise properties. Even the newer built properties seem small in scale by comparison to other so called built up islands which helps maintain it's real Caribbean feel. You may wish to consider inquiring about the massive amount of hidden jewel villas available. Some are more in liking with 5star service. The tourism minister is making headway in that this destination finally become advertised. New York and Atlanta are scheduled for marketing campaigns soon in the states and Virgin just signed on about 6 of the small properties as part of their new campaign for the year going out. Catamaran is one of them. Although we just got back I'm already looking forward to next year's trip!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM

to jofranklyn: We were just at Jolly Beach and the water was cloudy, not good for snorkling. Does anyone know what makes the water cloudy? The water is relatively calm. It is one of the longest, widest white sand beaches, but the water is cloudy. We did snorkle off of the Wadadli catameran right off the beach in another location on the north side of the island, that was crystal clear.