getting married at sandals antigua feb 07

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting married at sandals antigua feb 07

my fiance and I have decided to get married at Sandals resort in Antigua. I know all you AI haters are rolling over right now. BUt, we simply like knowing that around the reosrt we do not have to carry anything with us. However, we do not just stay at the resort and we do not feel obligated to eat every meal there. We love exploring and my fiance loves a great meal-and from the sounds of most reviews we may be eating some dinners away!!
Any advice from people of where to eat? We already have Harmony Hall marked as a place to eat.
We plan on doing the xtreme circumnav, Barbuda, St.John's, Shirley Heights, Nelson's Dockyard, Devil's Bridge, some fishing and maybe golf. We will be there for 2 weeks- any advice on what else to do and what to see while we are there?
I would also love to see Montserrat. I also want to try and relax a little though.
Thanks to anyone who can give help and suggestions.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:07 AM

We have never had a vacation we didn't love, AI or otherwise, and Sandals Antigua was one of our favorites. We were there for 2 weeks in 2002, and were never bored. There is lots to do. We visited some of the places you mentioned (Shirley Heights....beautiful for sunset, Devil's Bridge, Nelson's ) and we snorkeled off a boat offered by Sandals numerous times. We water skiied almost every day, plus took out kayacks and sailboats. We loved the food, eating lobster in the OK Corral almost daily, yet we did eat off the resort too, but didn't need to...(Hemmingways, also Coconut grove at Siboney Beach Hotel.) I particularly enjoyed seeing goats in the roads as we went in search of various fruit stands, but that's me.
The first few days we only watched the various entertainment offerings at the beach and pool, but soon found ourselves having fun earning points for tee shirts and leather necklaces. Silly silly silly but fun. We saw many weddings, and went to 3 weddings there, as we became very friendly with other couples. There are so many great spots for pictures. You will definitely find quiet places to relax, as well as join in the nightly dancing if desired. We have been back since then, and have great memories of all the peace and quiet as well as the fun.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Sounds like you already have a LOT planned for your two week vacation--all of which I would've recommended if you hadn't brought them up. I don't know when you're getting married, but you do know that Harmony Hall is closed May through mid-Novemeber, right? I'm not suggesting that you rearrange your wedding plans around it or anything, but just be aware of it if you have your heart set on it.

I concur with toppy's suggestions, too. Hemingway's in St. John's is a fun place to eat that is reasonably priced, but what's best about it is the great people watching opportunities from up on the second floor balcony. While in St. John's, consider visiting the small but lovingly done Antigua & Barbuda museum, and for a cool, quiet moment, wander into the Cathedral. There was also a wonderful small book and map shop worth visiting for some reading or for a memento.

Coconut Grove at Siboney Beach Hotel is a quintessential Caribbean restaurant. Nice romantic atmosphere with outdoor dining. Ask for a table closest to the water. Tradewinds offers a fabulous view over Dickinson Bay with good but expensive food. Go early to catch a gorgeous sunset. Home Restaurant is in St. John's and is a good place to try food with a true local flair. I also love both Chez Pascal and Le Bistro for a more upscale Continental cuisine with a tropical twist.

Hope you have a great time!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I wish we had considered a day trip to Monserrat when we were there as it's only an 18-minute flight away! You will love Antigua and the Sandals. There are some cute shops in St. John's that are generally open from 8:30 a.m -4p.m. during the week. We found the climate to be one of the best of all the islands we've been to as they have so little rainfall (although we did have one heavy rainshower while we were there)and the constant seabreezes keep you cool. Sandals will set you up with taxi cab drivers that they have chosen to use. They are great guides. There are no meters, so make sure you talk about money before you get in. English is the official language, although the currency is the EC. Every place we went accepted American dollars. Credit cards were also accepted at the shops and restaurants. Most restautants add a service charge so check before paying your bill. You can also find information centers at the airport and at Heritage Quay.
Congratulations on your marriage and enjoy Antigua!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your responses, we are going from Feb.10-24 so we will be able to go to Harmony Hall. I have written down all of the places you have mentioned. Than you so much. We are very excited about our trip, and I love to hear about everyone else's experiences in Antigua. I know it is a while before we go, but I have a bit of type A personality in me, ha ha. I will be sure to let you know how our trip went when we get back. If anyone has any more tips or info for me, I would love to hear from you. Thanks again