Best way to tour Nassau/PI and all for the week?

Sep 14th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Best way to tour Nassau/PI and all for the week?

We are staying at Harborside timeshare on PI next to Atlantis. We are good walkers, but would like to see all parts of the island that are interesting or scenic. Is bus service easy and good for this? Would a one or two day car rental be of any need? How about any inexpensive group island tour?
Know of any reasonably priced rent-a-local type tours?
Thanks, experts, in advance for any assistance!
Becky
Sep 14th, 2003, 09:43 AM

You can get a taxi to take you on an island tour - it isn't very big and if you do your homework you can tell him/her what you want to see. My brother-in-law drives a taxi in Nassau and charges about 40-50 dollars for a tour for a few hours. You'd get the local feel this way and go at your own pace.
Car rentals are a little pricey and should be done while you're here so you know you have a car. All major rentals are there. They drive on the left and make sure you request a left side steering wheel/automatic if you go this route. But it's navigible and because it's so small you can hardly get lost - they have decent road maps.
Sep 14th, 2003, 12:05 PM

I would not suggest renting a car, you can walk all over downtown Nassau, it is not very big and there are buses to take you all over the island or take a taxi tour. All the taxi drivers are tour guides through the Ministry of Tourism, they all take a course so they know the island and the history well.

There is a museum on Bay St. which you will find interesting and a MUST is the Ardastra Zoo and Gardens on West Bay St. to see the Flamingo March.

You also might think about an off island tour, like the Fast Ferry over to Harbour ISland for the day. It was chosen as the most beautiful island and beach by the Channel Travel this year, and Island Mag says it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

The fast ferry goes over to the island very early in the am so you can have breakfast at Arthur's Cafe, stroll the streets, have lunch, have a drink at the Harbour Lounge and then head back on the late ferry in the afternoon.

Have a GREAT time in the BAhamas.

Sep 14th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much all! You've been a great help.
Becky
Sep 14th, 2003, 03:01 PM

Becky, I would definitely consider renting a car for a couple of days, to see all of New Providence. It was great having a car rental for a few days the times we were there. We've had good luck with Budget. You won't need it for the whole week, but it gives you the opportunity to see some parts you may not get the chance to (e.g. the South and West parts of the island).
Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:00 AM

I would suggest doing as much walking as possible and filling in with taxi rides. I'm pretty good with directions and those streets had me turned upside down! My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon - also stayed at Harborside - great time! Can't wait to go back!
Dec 4th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

As the original poster I want to share what we found while in Nassau area:
The taxi driver we used also has a family tour business. We hired him for a tour of the island, the places partly chosen by us and partly recommended by him. Through no fault of his, some of our choices (Nassau Botanical Gardens, Bacardi factory) were closed that day, perhaps if you arrange in advance this won't happen. His charge was very reasonable to us, $25pp (we were 4) and he spent the entire afternoon with us.
We were very impressed with this young man, he has a distinct plan for his life, was very reliable and extremely enjoyable to be around. We saw the different Forts, the Water Tower, Queen's Staircase, a Palm Tree Arboretum and had each of the areas and historical buildings described & shown to us. (We had already toured the downtown Nassau area on our own). It was great to be shown around by someone who knows where he is going. We recommend anyone wanting to arrange airport transfers or tours in advance to email him. He also does nightclub tours, for those interested in the nightlife around Nassau!
His email is [email protected] or [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dec 4th, 2003, 03:02 PM

HIGHLY recommend getting a rental car! We didn't when we were there and missed A WHOLE LOT. This is a big island (we stayed next to Atlantis) and saw too little by foot, unless you are a hiker! i'd for sure rent a car next time. Even if for a few days, and get a taxi to take you to places the other days. IMHO, PI was my least favorite area, since I like to "get away" from the crowds on vacation, and there you just can't.