Best Ocean Front Restaurants in Grand Cayman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again everyone. Our trip is coming up very soon (Feb 3-10) and myself, wife and two kids (10 and 8) are very excited. A lot of that has to do with all the help we have received from Fodorites so far during our planning. I have just one more (I think) question I would like to ask of you. What would be the best waterfront restaurants for us to go to for dinner? We like nice oceanfront atmosphere with good food. We dont care for the most lavish, upscale places nor do we want anything that is too dive-bar like. Your top 7 or so choices would be great (one for each night we are there). Thanks so much.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Reef Grill and Smuggler's Cove (if it's still there after Ivan). Cracked Conch was just okay but we may have hit it on an off night.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Factoring in that you have an 8 yr old and 10 year old with you, so guessing you will likely be eating early (sun sets around 6:25pm first week in Feb), a few suggestions :
- If you have a day out at Rum Point, suggest dinner at Portofino, Kaibo or Lighthouse on the way back.
- Calypso Grill (in West Bay)
- Per last poster, Reef Grill is good
- The Wharf
- Grand Old House
- For something that is a dive bar, but a good one, and great around Sunset, try My Bar at Sunset House....food is good, as is the atmosphere.
- Rackhams, again a relaxed bar, and the kids will like it around sunset

Honestly though, with the exception of the last two, if it were my kids aged 8 and 10, they would feel that most of the other places are a bit upscale.

For family dining then, I'd also suggest (assuming you are staying on 7MB) :
- Lone Star (great all you can eat fajitas on Mon and Thu evenings)
- Cimboco (early dinner, then a movie at the cinema next door, then gelato from the antica gelateria.. all in the same strip mall)
- If you are staying in a condo, why not grab some steaks and BBQ by the beach ?

Just some ideas
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:43 AM

I second the rec for Calypso Grill. Very nice place with excellent staff and food!

Peace
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 05:52 AM

First Choice: Reef Grill, has always been one of the top restaurants in GC. Only problem is that 8-10 year olds might not be able to appreciate.

I'd also suggest Smugglers, but I'm pretty sure they never came back after Ivan.

Calypso Grill in West bay was also excellent. Again, this may not appeal to the younger tastes.

Sunset house is good for casual & more on the inexpensive side. Might be a good choice for the kids. This was one of our cheaper meals, but the food was excellent....nice atmosphere.

The Wharf is nice, but very expensive, and more on the "lavish" side. They do a Tarpon feeding that the kids would love, but the menu probably won't make the little ones happy.

Not ocean front, but Deckers has very good food, and located right next to a mini golf place (if it's still there). A few years back they used to offer an "All you can eat Lobster"...not cheap.