Best Island To Honeymoon To?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, looking for a little help. Researching these islands can be overwhelming as there are so many choices. My fiancé and I will be married this year in mid July and so I'm looking for help on which Island would be the best for a honeymoon.

The biggest point will be the beach as my fiancé and I will spend a lot of time there, so wanting really nice beach with clear blue water. We'd really like something right on the beach to stay in if possible. It would be nice to be able to walk right out onto the beach. Wanting a private bungalow or villa (not wanting the hotel feel). Budget - Not set in stone but was hoping to stay between $500-$800 night.

We will want to do a few other things off the beach as well so we would like to be able to choose from a couple of the following if possible: scuba/snorkeling, renting mopeds or a jeep to explore the island, zip line, atv excursion, minor shopping, whale watching, spa etc. (not all are necessary those are just some we would be interested in choosing a couple from to do)

Would y'all suggest all inclusive or no?

Thanks so much for your help, I am really clueless to the Caribbean (other than the reading I've done).
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 09:32 AM

You are probably going to have to make some concessions on your wish list.

Whale watching during summer in the Caribbean is almost non-existent so cross that off your list of "must haves" (there's not a lot of it in winter either).

Islands with the "best" snorkeling/diving include Grand Cayman, the US and British Virgin Islands and Bonaire - all those except Bonaire have wonderful beaches with white or light golden colored sand) and crystal clear calm waters so concentrate your search to those islands.

St. Thomas & St. Croix (USVI's) have plenty of beach front rental condos which are in your price range. Virgin Gorda (BVI's) has a number of beachfront villas, some of which will be in your price range during July and you can find some villa/condo rentals and small boutique hotels on Tortola (BVI's). Note: I did not include St. John (USVI's) since you won't find any beachfront rental condos and villas or much shopping on that island.

You won't find zip lining on Grand Cayman (too flat) and I don't think St. Croix offers that either (not sure about St. Thomas) Generally speaking you'll find zip lining on the more mountainous islands (think Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, St. Kitts, etc.) but they won't have the great snorkeling/diving you are seeking so you might have to concede on that point or take a day trip to a nearby island to partake of that activity.

Grand Cayman and St. Thomas will have the shopping you crave.

You'll be able to rent mopeds and/or jeeps (or other makes of SUV's) on any island you visit and you should have no difficulty finding spa treatments available on any of the islands mentioned although you might have to get those spa treatments at one of the hotels/resorts so don't let those activities be a deciding factor for you.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, that information is very helpful to me. I was considering a couple other islands you didn't list: Turks and Caicos (heard great beaches but not much else to do is this true?) and St. Lucia (have heard beautiful island but the beaches aren't that special?)

Also, I was going to ask if the Cayman Islands were very crowded and touristy? They don't give off the Spring Break feel do they?
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 07:00 AM

Agree your instincts about St. Lucia and the T&C's is spot on.

Grand Catman (as well as most Caribbean islands) will not be crowded in July. No, GC won't have a Spring Break vibe.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 07:02 AM

Oops, that should be Grand Cayman not Grand Catman.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Ok, does Grand Cayman have nice beaches? (Clear blue water with nice sand)
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

RoamsAround, have you been to St. Lucia? I have had several people suggest it
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Yes, Grand Cayman has nice beaches - white to light golden sand, calm crystal clear waters with bright turquoise hues. Island is relatively flat and somewhat arid. Exceptional snorkeling and diving on Grand Cayman.

St. Lucia is a much larger mountainous island with dense rain forests, lots of lush vegetation and smaller cove-like beaches with darker sand (think browns, grays and even black). Snorkeling and diving just "OK".

These are two VERY DIFFERENT islands - one is not better or worse then the other they are just different - sort of like trying to compare which entree is better the fish or the steak.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

I understand. Thanks for taking time to help.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

What's your thoughts on st. Lucia or Jamaica for honeymoon?
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 03:52 AM

Consider St. Martin with a side trip taking 25 minutes to some of the nicest beaches in the World on Angulla.
Love this Island!! Here are some Highlights: Anse Marcel: see the Raddison or what ever it's called these days. Take a swim with Anquilla as a backdrop. Gran Case: Tuesday night is Mardi Gras. Eat at Spiga, Sky's the Limit LOLO and Sunset Cafe. Orient Beach: great happening beach, much to do or rent a chair and umbrella get a drink and chill. Watch the planes land at the Sunset Bar.. Go to Phillipsburg to shop or see the mammoth cruise ships.Dawn Beach:Watch the Sunrise, beautiful beach with views of St. Barts, visit Busby's for reasonable breakfast, lunch, beers and use of chairs and umbrella, good snorkeling short way out from the shore. Simpson Bay: this is where most of the nightlife is and there's plenty to do and eat during the day as well. you like beautiful Yachts, they got'em. Take a look at the La Samana hotel: it's beautiful, the most luxurious and a beach and view to pay for, I meant to die for. Enjoy, it's some playground. Next time your back, and you will be, use SXM as a stepping off point to visit one of about 4 surrounding Islands:, Anguilla, St. Bart's, Saba, to name a few. Make sure you don't rent a very small under powered car. You'll need the extra power for the hills, especially around Anse Marcel.