Search

Honeymoon advice - Barbados, St. Martin and Cayman Islands

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon advice - Barbados, St. Martin and Cayman Islands

Hello Everyone,

My fiancé and I are looking to go away immediately following our wedding leaving on Feb 24th. It may still be Winter Break for many schools across the U.S., so I'm hoping to avoid a place with a ton of kids (although I love them dearly)! We were thinking Turks, but have heard it's one of the most popular spots for families in February/March.

Barbados, St. Martin and Grand Cayman all sound interesting to me since we are coming from NYC and the distances are perfect for us. Just warm enough, but not too far. Can anyone compare the 3 or have a preference for honeymooners? Here is what we are looking for:

- beautiful beaches with activities to do during the day - walking, snorkeling, swimming. If possible would be nice to explore another island (but not mandatory)

- Would love a high end resort if possible with a beautiful pool

- Nightlife not that important, but might be fun to mingle with others at night listening to music

- relaxing dining at a few high end places; all inclusive not necessary. Would not mind getting off the resort to experience other restaurants

- Budget (including airfare, food and activities) we would like to keep between 8-10K

Thanks so much for any advice.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 04:21 AM

OK, all three islands have "beautiful beaches" and you can certainly swim and walk on all of the islands (sorry, not sure if you actually mean hiking or you just want to be able to walk somewhere). Of the three, Grand Cayman has the best snorkeling so pick that island if snorkeling is a high priority for you. If by walking you actually meant "hiking then Barbados and St. Martin would be better than Grand Cayman.

You'll find nightlife (both active and more restrained) on all three islands so it's a tie in that department.

St. Martin will have the most dining options especially if you dine on the French side but since you are probably going only for a week or so you'll find enough dining options on any of the islands. FYI - you'll find restaurants in all price categories on all three islands. If you are serious foodies then St. Martin is the island for you otherwise you'll be happy with either of the islands.

Overall Grand Cayman will probably be the more expensive island followed closely by Barbados with St. Martin being the least expensive of the three.

As far as airfares are concerned, you'll probably find the lease expensive airfares to St. Martin followed by Grand Cayman with the highest airfares to Barbados.

You are correct in that if you travel during President's Week or "Winter Break" you are going to encounter families no matter where you go. That said as a general rule Grand Cayman and St. Martin will probably have more families simply because there are lots of rental condos and time-shares on those islands. I wouldn't worry too much about encountering "a ton f kids" on any of those islands as long as you avoid staying at the family oriented condos style resorts.

Lastly, you can find hotels/resorts in all price ranges on all three islands.

Quite honestly, all three islands are great places for honeymooners so if I were you, I'd choose the island that most appealed to you and your future spouse.

Good luck.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM

I think Turks and Caicos sounds perfect for you!

Presidents Day weekend is the big weekend for families, which is Feb 14 next year. I think you're good the following weekend.

Here's the nice thing about TCI, although it is family friendly, it's never overrun with resorts and many vacationers, it tends to be a quiet island.

Here's something you can do ultra romantic there, have dinner set up on the beach surrounded by tiki torches.

With an actual budget I'd be happy to recommend resorts for your stay. Without it, you might want to look at (all quieter with less kids)

Point Grace
grace Bay Club (has adult hotel with own pool and restaurant)
West Bay Club
Somerset
Gansevoort

A little more self-catering yet upscale, and still quiet:

Villa Renaissance
Regent Grand
Tuscany
Venetian

There are still nice places to stay for less too if you want to know
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 06:23 PM

One of the Caribbean's class acts is Coral Reef Club on Barbados. Low rise bldgs. & cottages on 12 beachfront acres, family-owned for 60 years. Outstanding food, service, plantation-style ambiance. The grounds would put to shame most public and private parks and gardens. See www.coralreefbarbados.com and www.barbados.org
The island has a wide range of sightseeing, restaurants, beaches, historical/cultural sights, and some of the lovliest people anywhere.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies! We are leaning towards St Martin for the flexiblity it gives us to visit other islands such as St. Barts. If anyone has any recommendations for places to stay on St. Martin I would appreciate it.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 10:50 AM

What's your budget?

You mentioned you'd like a high end resort: If you choose St. martin then look at La Samanna, The Radisson or perhaps the Westin.