Bermuda - Is St George worth a trip from South Hampton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying again this year at Pompano in South Hampton - last few years we have only ventured as far as The Dockyard and Hamilton - is St George worth the trip ? Looks like it could be an all day adventure for us. Is there another area that we are missing out seeing ? We like browsing shops and a nice lunch. Your help will be appreiciated ! How is the "Train Trail" for biking ?
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 08:22 AM

1. I think St.George is very charming and quite different from other places you see in Bermuda. Go over to Dockyard and you should be able to take the fast ferry to St.George. It won't take all that long to see the town unless you decide to walk out to Ft. St. Catherine (I love the views there). Sadly the shopping is not what it used to be. I loved Cow Polly East,now gone, and Frangipani, now fairly boring Fresh Produce stuff I can buy at home. Taylor's has some good buys on sweaters, but nothing really special.
2. Biking the rail trail is great from Pompano. Go left and head to the littlest drawbridge (around a mile). Cross it and take a right about 100 yards up. That will put you on a paved essentially car free (just residents) path with some beautiful views back to Hamilton and over to Dockyards. It is a part I managed to ride at least a couple of times on every visit to Bermuda.

Have fun, jerseysue and don't forget to post a trip report!
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cmcfong ! Do you know if there's a place to rent bikes near Pompano ? Never thought about a ferry from Dockyard to St George - that should be nice and we have never seen that area. Thanks again ! Can't wait !
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM

I don't know about a bike rental, but check with Larry. My guess is he can take care of that for you. I do know Smatt's has started renting bikes, but I am not sure what their closest location is. If Oleander does (the link says they do) their shop is just down the hill from Pompano.

Here's the link with an article about biking on Bermuda. http://www.trailwatch.net/bermudabiking.htm

Have fun in paradise......
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks cmcfong - can't wait ! I have literally been all over the world and Bermuda is my fav ! Second is Harbor Island - gotta throw that in ! I'm sure Larry will take care of the bikes for us - he's a gem.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 03:49 PM

I love Larry! Pompano is just so great. Have a fantastic time. I, too, travel a great deal, but for me Bermuda is a must every year. I just never tire of it.